Holster cleanup suggestions?

This is a discussion on Holster cleanup suggestions? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an Alessi talon IWB holster for my Sig 239 that has a lot of ick and ack on it. I carry 7 days ...

Thread: Holster cleanup suggestions?

Holster cleanup suggestions?

I have an Alessi talon IWB holster for my Sig 239 that has a lot of ick and ack on it. I carry 7 days 10hrs a day and the holster has seen a lot of use. The part of the holster that rubs up against me is black, I do a lot of sweating in my job, but I usually take the gun apart and clean it 1-2 times a week when it's been real hot out.

What can I use to clean up all the black? Or is this holster so soaked with ick and ack that it ain't coming out?

I know.... I know.... I should have a kydex holster....

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Ewww Kydex lol ..

Look get a bit of two things , 1. napthia now this can be either lighter fluid or if your cheap home depot sells it by the gallon as coleman fuel . and 2. neatsfoot oil . with this its going to take time to fix things , repeatidly clean the skin side with the napthia on a rag ( it will keep pulling out the dirt + all the oils you want in the leather ) . once you hit the " diminishing returns " then soak ( like wrung dry ) a washrag in the oil and coat the holster , let it dry and repeat , keep doing that untill it just wont dry in about 12 hrs or so .. that should give you a useable holster that wont change size .. the other option ( imho ) is dont worry about it and just live with the fact that leather has a usefull life . Once it loosenes up in any event its done .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

the other option ( imho ) is dont worry about it and just live with the fact that leather has a usefull life .

One more thing.... besides it having ick and ack on it.... it's also starting smell.

Has anyone reading this, thrown up yet?

No, not just yet!!
    I've cleaned up some pretty nasty ones with Ballistol, but truthfully I should have just decided that they'd done their job. Once they get really bad, mine are also loose and they're finished.
    I don't really know a timeline for this, but what I have done over the last year is if I like a holster after a year of use, I order another. My "first" one's still doing fine and I have a new one in the safe. Of course, that depends on if you've settled on one type of gun, etc, etc.
    In my opinion, I'd still rather do this than have kydex. I am old and just like leather.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    E-mail Lou Alessi at LFAlessi@cs.com, that way you get it straight from the master himself! BTQ, he responds quickly

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    I agree...call or email Lou. I think youll find if you use naptha on it it will eat the dye and blister the leather. Neatsfoot oil is gonna make it softer and isnt gonna be productive in the long run either. It can compromise the performance of the holster and its retention.

I recommend a semi damp cloth for stuff thats not so bad and saddle soap, following the directions, after that if its that bad...sounds like you need saddle soap.

Be careful what you use on it...your 100$ leather jewel can become a pc. of floppy leather paperweight if your not careful.

shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Goo gone....
    Orange Glo....
    Saddle Soap.....
    All followed with a good leather sealer and conditioner....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Get some Murphey's soap. It cleans well & is good for leather.
    I HAVE TWO GUNS. ONE FOR EACH OF YOU!

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Saddle Soap,and Murphey's Oil Soap.

I use saddle soap on all my leather

For conditioning, restoring, and finishing (or sometimes Angelus) I was recommended, and now exclusively use, products made by Bee Natural Leather Care. These products are not petrol based or made with rendered animal fat. They are expensive but they are worth it for high end leather you want to protect. Superior product.

I would suggest, like others have, using saddle soap first (per directions). Then I would use their Rudy's.

But before I do anything, I'd contact one or more of the top holster guys and get their opinion.
    TRUTH

It don't matter if it's natural or manmade if it softens up the leather, which is not desirable for a holster.

A blocked piece of leather is best cleaned with isopropyl alcohol, left to dry for an hour or two, and then brushed to a gloss with any neutral paste shoe wax (like Kiwi).

Don't be afraid to give the buffing plenty elbow grease - this generates warmth, which very slightly opens up the pores in the leather so the wax penetrates some (yes, even with shiny/slick cordovan).

If the holster is rough out, clean it with isopropyl alcohol & sandpaper.

Regards.

Links