Clip or Snap for AIWB - Does it matter?

This is a discussion on Clip or Snap for AIWB - Does it matter? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been following the posts recently about AIWB carry. I tend to prefer pocket carry for my J-frames, but I recently purchased a 640 and ...

Thread: Clip or Snap for AIWB - Does it matter?

Clip or Snap for AIWB - Does it matter?

I've been following the posts recently about AIWB carry. I tend to prefer pocket carry for my J-frames, but I recently purchased a 640 and have been thinking about trying AIWB carry. I've looked at the posts and searched the forum, but haven't really been able to find anything more than a comment or two here and there about the advantages/disadvantages of having a clip or snap for the holster.

Does one ride lower than the other?
    I'm rather short, but a bit stout, so I would want the grip to ride fairly low to avoid printing.

Many of the pics I've seen of AIWB clip holsters the clip appears to be over the cylinder area and it seems that would add a bit to the overall width/bulk of the holster. The pics I've seen of snap holsters seem to have the snap off to one side. Also, it appears that the snap holster straps are bit snugger on the belt. Would a snap holster therefore be better for a revolver?

Does it really matter (clip vs. snap) or is it just a matter of personal preference?

I imagine there are many on this forum that have experimented with both, so I appreciate you sharing your experiences and responses.

2. Remove Ads

Many people have used the clip with good results. I am not one of them. I find that clips tend to move around on the belt. I prefer two loops spaced so that I can put a belt loop between them, but not so far apart that they use up excess space on the belt.

I don't believe that one inherently rides higher or lower than the other. This has more to do with how the particular holster maker designs the holster.

There is a wide variation in the effectiveness of clips used by different makers. I have found the clips used by Don Hume work quite well; those used on the average cheap nylon holster not so well. I have heard that the clips used by High Noon are very good, but I have no personal experience with them.

The best leather holster I have found for AIWB is the ambidextrous one from AKJ/Concealco. Its two loops are far enough apart to provide stability yet don't take up huge amounts of space on my belt like some others. The placement of the loops also helps draw the holster in to the body, making it very good for concealment. I have a kydex holster on order from Cane & Derby which is a very similar design to the AKJ/Concealco, but done in kydex. I am looking forward to trying it out.

The one advantage of clips is that they are (somewhat) easier to put on/take off.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

VIP Member

640 with class...

I have both although I feel the overall design, balance and center of gravity all play into a comfortable set-up. The Alessi ‘Deep Cover’ is my current favorite. It incorporates a specialized clip fastener called the ‘Talon Clip’. It’s very thin and considerably stronger than it looks. Although it can be clipped to a conventional dress belt, it’s designed to be clipped directly to the pant waistline.

The clip is offset from the cylinder to minimize printing and your ‘whatever’ belt rides comfortably over the topside of the clip as though you’re not wearing a holster at all. If you order one, it will take about 10~12 weeks to arrive but it is well worth the wait in my view, and the price is quite reasonable. BTW: The gun in the photo is not fully seated into holster as I was showing the custom rear sight for another thread. It does fit perfectly into the molded recesses.

http://shop.alessigunholsters.com/It...0Wesson%20Guns
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Saber; February 27th, 2011 at 09:42 AM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I've got an older Alessi "Deep Cover" that I use for an old S&W J frame. It is one of my favorites as well.
    I recently ordered an Alessi Talon and received it little over 3 weeks. I was quoted 4 weeks.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

Links