uncle mikes ankle

uncle mikes ankle

This is a discussion on uncle mikes ankle within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just picked up an ankle rig to carry my Bersa .45 in at work as a BUG. First impressions are the holster fits snug, holds ...

Thread: uncle mikes ankle

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

uncle mikes ankle

Just picked up an ankle rig to carry my Bersa .45 in at work as a BUG. First impressions are the holster fits snug, holds the gun in tight and there is little to no movement when the holster is on my ankle with a gun in it. Those are the positive. The negatives are that I am not used to wearing an ankle gun so it is not the most comfortable thing in the world, a steel gun like my bersa is a bit heavy for ankle carry and I have yet to figure out how to pull my pant leg up for a smooth draw. I am considering getting my uniform pants altered or buying some of my own and having the pant leg cut up to the calf on the left side and velcroing shut, so when i draw i can just rip the pant leg apart and draw. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to draw smoothly from an ankle rig?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I too wear an uncle Mike's ankle rig with my snub occasionally. I love it. Very inexpensive and comfortable all day long, with good retention.

First, are you right handed or left handed? What leg are you going to be putting it on? I have read quite a bit on where to wear the ankle holster, and i decided to wear it on the outside of my stong side leg. Here is my rationale. Have someone get on top of you with your back on the ground like they were going to pound you, straddling with your legs apart. The only way to access the bug on your ankle with your stong side hand it to wear it on the outside of your stong side leg... understand? I am right handed myself, and wear it on the outside part of my right leg. I cannot reach over to my left leg and get it if i wore it on the inside part of my left leg .It conceals fine, but you need to cinch it tight so it does not fall onto your ankle, which hurts after awhile. Some may say to wear your BUG on your outside weak leg, but i do not shoot my snub accurately enough with my weak hand, even under the best of circumstances... i know, i know, something to work on. I understand also that your stong hand is someting in a gun fight that is shot quite often... people shoot toward the gun threat, not the person threat.

Now for the draw. Ankle carry is slow... as you well know. As a BUG, its not meant to grab in an instant like a stongside OWB, or IWB IMHO... i know some will say it can be just as fast.
    It is meant as a last ditch gun when you carry it as a BUG. God knows what position you are going to be in if your primary gun is empty or has failed. My draw includes going down on my left knee, and drawing up my right pant leg with my left hand... with foot slightly foward... Rt hand goes for gun. Spinning on left knee to get into position to face attacker once again, or if on my back, grabbing with right hand, and sticking in mouth of attacker with a +P load of lead. When you are pushed to ground, many times your pants will ride up your leg, allowing access to your BUG... so you dont have to worry too much about pulling up pant lef. WIth an ampty gun, have someone practice with you, having them on top of you.

This by no means is coming from any expert here... its just what i have planned myself in the case it is ever needed. Good luck... and i pray none of us ever have to use our primary, let alone our BUG. Bunker

My wife told me that they made tear away uniform pants. She said a police officer showed up in a pair at a tupper wear party. That should allow fast access.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    I too wear an uncle Mike's ankle rig with my snub occasionally. I love it. Very inexpensive and comfortable all day long, with good retention.

This by no means is coming from any expert here... its just what i have planned myself in the case it is ever needed. Good luck... and i pray none of us ever have to use our primary, let alone our BUG. Bunker
    I'll agree 100% to the above quote!

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

Links