Hybrid holster - Page 2

Hybrid holster

This is a discussion on Hybrid holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks Mark! I for one have been very satisfied with your product. And your customer service. Personally (Since I don't run a holster business) it's ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hybrid holster

Thanks Mark!

I for one have been very satisfied with your product. And your customer service.

Personally (Since I don't run a holster business) it's great to see such competition in the market.

If someone is trying to solve a problem (real or perceived, which is of course up to everyones opinion) it will lead to more innovation and more choices for the consumer.

Which is good for us consumers
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

That's why no one makes a holster that everyone uses. We all have differing opinions. As I mentioned in my reply to the question that was asked, these are my opinions.

By the way, the "What The Tuck" does pass the old turn your holster upside down and shake it test. My opinion, is that test is not outdated. I personally don't want to ever see my pistol slide under the divider into the next stall.
    The Second Amendment is clear, concise, and not open to interpretation.

This is the holster that resulted from our quest to make the best hybrid on the market. The Silent Thunder "Fusion" by Garrett Industries. fully covered hardware, sweatproof, passes the not so outdated "upside down test", has full coverage,is leather lined and has many different options for mountsFusion1.jpgfusion2.jpgFusion3.jpg

@Silent Thunder Fusion

I don't own one, so these are just photo observations:
    1) I'm concerned the length of the clips may dig into the leg or pants.
    2) It is more narrow than other hybrid holsters I've seen. Not sure if this is a plus or minus.
    3) Not sure if the upper rear slide leather protection allows full grip, or gets in the way. I want just enough protection for the rear slide so it doesn't dig into me.
    4) Really like the leather loops.
    5) Really like the lining, but is it stitched or glued? I don't want to rub the gun against threads (as the threads may fray).

Jake

Can someone please explain more about the foam sandwiched between the leathers?

Layer of thin closed cell foam which contours to your body, rounds out control surfaces of the weapon and provides a sweat barrier.
    Doesn't leather form to the contours of the body?
    Doesn't leather round out control surfaces of the weapon?
    Isn't leather a good enough sweat barrier?

I wonder if they made the leather thinner, and then added the foam. The leather looks thinner than the loops.

Quote Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post
    I wonder if they made the leather thinner, and then added the foam. The leather looks thinner than the loops.
    Just a note I don't know anything about their construction but the way you worded this I got the impression your thinking they skimped materials IE using thinner leather for a price point. I might be wrong, but I wanted to mention that leather cost is by the sq. ft. and generally the costs are the same for 1-2oz, all the way up to 10+oz. or at least very close in cost pennies of difference on a rig like that. So if he did go with thinner leather I'm guessing he had a reason in the design beyond cost, at least that's my take on it. Either way just wanted to explain the cost when it comes to leather has less to do with thickness more to do with grade and company. Also the reason is that the expensive portion of the leather is the grain, and since there is only one grain layer you pay for that even if it's attached to a thinner flesh portion.

Take care!

Luke

Thanks Luke. I don't think it was done to be cheap, as I think the extra labor involved sandwiching the pieces together would cost more.

I just wonder why they did it. Coming into this, I really want all leather, because I really like leather. Kydex has some real advantages over leather, so I don't mind a hybrid for that reason. But now there's foam and less leather thickness, which starts to turn me off. But if there's a real proven advantage, then I'm on.

No problem just wasn't sure with the wording its hard tell how to read things on a forum;) I'm curious as well what the reason for the foam is other than a sweat barrier. Some makers have used other things to block sweat transfer in the past so that might be the reason but hard to tell without hearing from him;)

Take care!

Luke

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Now I'm curious what happens to the holsters that don't have a sweat barrier?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links