Hybrid holster

Hybrid holster

This is a discussion on Hybrid holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Coming soon to our web store, Garrett's new "What The Tuck" hybrid. We've finished our tests, and have received exemplary feedback from several industry experts. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hybrid holster

Hybrid holster

Coming soon to our web store, Garrett's new "What The Tuck" hybrid.

We've finished our tests, and have received exemplary feedback from several industry experts. While most agree there is no better holster than a Silent Thunder, the "What The Tuck" is is being heralded as a continuation of Garrett's commitment to excellence.

Previews of the new "What The Tuck" are available by email request.
    The Second Amendment is clear, concise, and not open to interpretation.

I absolutely love the name, as far as I'm concerned you get the "naming" award for hybrid holsters;)

Take care!

Luke

Thanks Luke!

The name is our way of poking fun at ourselves. We succumbed to the pressure and hype of the hybrid holster craze.

We resisted the craze because of the inherent flaws of the hybrid design, but the general public doesn't seem to mind them so who are we to argue!

Would love to have a preview...why not post here?
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

What do you see as the flaws in the hybrid design? After trying most other types, hybrids are all I use now.

I was going to ask the same thing.
    And flaws compared to what, all kydex, all leather...?

Well opinions on what a holster should do vary to some extent. This is some of the basic criteria I use for determining perfection in an inside the waist band holster: 1 = best -5. = worst

Comfort when standing: 1. Hybrids 2. well designed leather or Kydex 3. clipless 4. poorly designed leather or Kydex
    Comfort when sitting: 1. well designed leather or Kydex 2. clipless 3. Hybrids 4. poorly designed leather or Kydex
    Consistency in presentation: 1. well designed leather or Kydex 2. poorly designed leather or Kydex 3. Hybrids 4. clipless
    One hand re-holster: 1. well designed leather or Kydex 2. poorly designed leather or Kydex 3. Hybrids (must point barrel of gun into your side to re-holster) 4. clipless (impossible)
    Retention: 1. well designed leather or Kydex 2. poorly designed leather or Kydex 3. Hybrids (almost none) 4. clipless (none)
    Puttin on or removing holster: 1. well designed leather or Kydex 2. poorly designed leather or Kydex 3. clipless 4. Hybrids
    Range of wear (appendix to 5:30): 1. well designed leather or Kydex 2. poorly designed leather or Kydex 3. clipless 4. Hybrids
    Protection of firearms finish: 1. well designed leather or leather lined Kydex 2. poorly designed leather 3. clipless 4. Hybrids 5. Kydex
    Speed: 1. Kydex / leather lined Kydex. 2. poorly designed Kydex 3. Leather 4. poorly designed leather 5. Hybrid / clipless
    There are several other lesser factors to consider, but the ratings remain basically the same down the line. Noise, durability, front sight protection, ease of cleaning...etc.
    Concealment With the exceptions of poorly designed leather and or Kydex, all styles conceal very well. Size of firearm makes a bigger difference than style of holster.

Of course, these are just some of my opinions about holsters. I do wear a What The Tuck hybrid on occasion. As hybrids break in (and they break in quickly), their presentation, re-holstering, and retention values deteriorate much faster than Kydex and or leather holsters. Comfort, which is the only category that hybrids get top score, is an important issue. My question is are they worth what you have to give up in return?

I can see your point on a lot of those issues for mass produced hybrids. I think a lot of the shortcomings you note are due to the adjustability of the hybrid designs being sold. I make my own for personal use so I do not build any adjustability into them. I set the cant, retention, and position (3-4:00) fixed into the design, so don’t have those problems.

I can agree with a lot of your post gimike. Thanks.

Some well thought out points. Sounds like an opportunity for improvement...
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeAngel View Post
    Some well thought out points. Sounds like an opportunity for improvement...
    We're developing one now. The only areas that aren't fixable, are the overall size, and ease of putting the darn thing on.

Quote Originally Posted by gimike View Post
    We're developing one now. The only areas that aren't fixable, are the overall size, and ease of putting the darn thing on.
    Well I guess you can't have everything, but I really look forward to what you come up with, keep us up to date!

Thanks!
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    As a happy MTAC owner, I would definitely disagree with some of your scoring choices. I do not notice a significant difference in comfort between sitting and standing (and I rate mine pretty comfortable at both); I have never really noticed any problems in consistency of presentation (and I use my MTAC for SIG P239, P220, and P226 pistols, which all present pretty much the same out of that holster); one-handed reholstering is no more or less difficult that with any other IWB, and can, with some attention, be done without covering myself; the MTAC has perfectly good retention provided by my Beltman gunbelt; it is significantly easier to take off than any threaded belt holster; it can be worn in all the same positions as my UBG Regulator leather holster (3-o'clock through 5:30), as I certainly don't expect a holster designed for behind the hip to be good at appendix carry or vice versa; and it is definitely a faster draw that pure leather, if not quite as fast as pure kydex. Oh, and I guess I can't say how it affects the finish, because my carry guns are not intended to be show-pieces.

Nonetheless, precisely because I believe that the hybrid IWB is a superior design to either pure leather or pure kydex, and because of all the good things I have read about Garrett holsters on this site, I am looking forward to your public unveiling, if you believe you have managed to come up with a better hybrid design than everybody else.
    Last edited by kazzaerexys; March 16th, 2011 at 08:13 PM.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I have seen your holster, a young man that comes in our gunshop has one. I must say it is a very nice holster, I particullary like the suede finish on the back of the holster. I made one a few years ago with sued on the back and it stays in place wery well.Good luck to you in this new design.

Sponsor
    In the interests of fairness, and since we make the #1 selling hybrid design, I'd like to respectfully disagree with several of your points.

1) Retention: Our SuperTuck offers outstanding level one (passive) retention. Without going to a snap, strap or flap, one simply is not going to get a cleaner, more positive retention than we offer. We have tons of emails from customers involved in chasing kids, playing sports, falling down (some pretty funny ones there) and even getting in auto accidents without their firearm becoming dislodged from their SuperTuck. Although our holsters do not pass the out-dated 'upside down test", in real world use, they simply excel in retention and clean release on the draw. Fast, secure, and crisp, our holsters are at the front of the pack with passive retention. With our holsters, your gun stays put until/unless you need it, and then is quickly and positively in your hand, without anything to fumble around with.

2) One handed re-holstering: With a rigid kydex scabbard, which stays open while the gun is out, our holsters also offer easy one handed re-holstering. Im not sure how re-holster gets any easier than that unless you are using an open carry rig and have no cover garment to clear out of the way to re-holster.

3) Easy on and off: This one is only a half point in our favor and that's easy off. To remove one of our rigs from your pants, all you have to do is slip the front and back clips up about an inch ad then pull the entire rig out of your pants. As staples would say, "Now that's easy"
    Admittedly going back on is a bit more involved and usually involves opening ones pants to slide the rig around to where one wants it for the day, so I will concede that one point.

4) Comfort when standing vs sitting are virtually the same, in our experience.

5) Protection of a firearms finish is important to some folks and not al all to others. The fact is ALL holsters WILL wear the finish of a gun, how much is more dependent on how often and how long the gun is carried vs what kind of holster it's in.

6) Speed? The SuperTuck is as fast or faster than any other IWB out there. Now it's not a competition designed "ghost" holster of course, but it's not slow either, by any stretch of the imagination.

I just wanted to clear a couple things up vs allowing folks to have misconceptions about the functionality of our products. Some hybrids may indeed be plagued with the problems you mention, but not ours.

Peace
    Rollo likes this.
    Mark Craighead
    Owner/Founder
    CrossBreed Holsters LLC
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links