Kydex -v- Leather - Sound of the Draw

This is a discussion on Kydex -v- Leather - Sound of the Draw within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am curious about the opinions of those on this board about the following. Maybe I am over thinking this, but one of the situations ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dsee11789

Thread: Kydex -v- Leather - Sound of the Draw

VIP Member

I am curious about the opinions of those on this board about the following.

Maybe I am over thinking this, but one of the situations I envision when I think of possible SD scenarios is that I may have to draw while the BG thinks I am going for my wallet. In such a situation, requiring a stealthy draw, the sound of the draw from a kydex holster could give away my actions. Mind you that leather holsters are not silent, but the ones I have are much more quiet than kydex. Also, the sound of the kydex draw is more distinctive.

As you all know, I have been using leather/kydex hybrid holsters for IWB for a while now. They provide great value and comfort and are pretty good at concealing the weapon. Recently, I began to consider the sound of the draw. As I also have some leather OWB holsters, I had a basis for comparing the sound of the draw. I found that the leather was far better at accommodating a stealthy draw.

To confirm this theory, and since I was comparing IWB to OWB style holsters, I ordered a Black Ops Pro from Pure Kustom Holsters. It is able to provide a much more quiet draw, in IWB or OWB mode, than the kydex holsters. Additionally, this holster holds the weapon much more tightly to the body than the hybrids – which already do a pretty good job. Actually, the Black Ops Pro, in OWB mode, holds the weapon as tightly as the IWB leather/kydex hybrid. I used the same A&G gun belt for the comparison to eliminate that variable.

This comparison was made using a slow draw stroke that would emulate the movement of drawing a wallet and trying to be as quiet as possible. In other words, not a quick draw that would give away what is coming. I realize that there may be times for the quick draw, but then I am not as concerned with the attendant noise.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I think that in your presented scenario the moment your hand touches your gun, you wont be being stealthy you will be drawing and firing as quickly as possible. I'm not sure how a slow draw would work in that situation, he'd see it coming.

However... I have thought about this recently with my J-Frame in a Fobus Ankle Holster. There is really no way to draw it quietly, if I were in a hostage situation or something of the like at work where my primary has been taken away, and I had an opportunity to draw while their attention is elsewhere.
    enk5 likes this.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Cool

"I think that in your presented scenario the moment your hand touches your gun, you won't be being stealthy you will be drawing and firing as quickly as possible."

Absolutely.

I personally prefer leather over other materials but not for any tactical reasons but just because I like the feel of the weapon in leather and leather done right just looks good.
    If I was in adverse weather conditions on a regular basis I would be inclined to go with the synthetic holsters.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

RKM
    I like the way a draw from kydex sounds :)

VIP Member
    OK, Old School and RKM - I hear you. How about if you are in a restaurant that is getting robbed and you are on the BG's 6. You want to draw to be ready in case he turns to you, but don't want to have your draw heard but it is not likely to be seen?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

The screaming and crying people will probably mask the sound of your slow draw.

My Kydex holsters aren't terribly loud when your trying to be quiet.

I think you're over thinking this a bit.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

The last sound the dirtbag should hear is the squeaking of leather...I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This is exactly the reason why we developed the Leather to Kydex bonding process for the Silent Thunder holsters. The Kydex exoskeleton makes for a superior retention holster, while the leather interior facilitates a quiet and smooth presentation.

The fact that the leather interior also serves to preserve your firearms finish better than Kydex only holsters, was a side benefit we learned of from our customers.
    The Second Amendment is clear, concise, and not open to interpretation.

RKM
    My leather Done Hume makes noise when I'm simply just walking. A slow draw from Kydex can be made quiet. But a fast draw just sounds cool :)

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    I can honestly say that when presented with the scenario as described by the OP ....the sound of my gun drawing from my holster is absolutely the last thing that I would ever worry about in that situation. That being said, I also love the sound of my gun being drawn from my mixed kydex/leather holster.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    i personally think that leather is the best choice for regular citizen carry, for work I prefer Kydex since I am often exposed to the elements. I also think that Kydex holsters provide more security options and thus are safer to use. Not to mention that when I am at the range I love the way it sounds when I draw and holster with kydex.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Sponsored Links