Blade-Tech Question - Page 3

Blade-Tech Question

This is a discussion on Blade-Tech Question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ExSoldier I'd take it if the holster was for an H&K USP. But you can't compare KYDEX to leather. Leather is traditional ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blade-Tech Question

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier
    I'd take it if the holster was for an H&K USP. But you can't compare KYDEX to leather. Leather is traditional and it feels "masculine" and of course it's beautiful. But it is subject to being degraded by the environment and TIME. Kydex isn't degraded by anything. Not weather, not time, not chemicals. Kydex is combat rugged. Witness the staggering number of orders from the military.
    The Safariland 6004 is not leather. It is a suede-lined, kydex-like (safari-laminate) holster. As you can see from Mr. Crawford's post, it is pretty much THE standard in tactical holsters. Mine has seen hard use in every climate on the planet and while, well worn, it is still going strong.

Leather ??

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier
    I'd take it if the holster was for an H&K USP. But you can't compare KYDEX to leather. Leather is traditional and it feels "masculine" and of course it's beautiful. But it is subject to being degraded by the environment and TIME. Kydex isn't degraded by anything. Not weather, not time, not chemicals. Kydex is combat rugged. Witness the staggering number of orders from the military.

See how well your leather holster with the suede lining holds up in a hot HUMID jungle environment or where there are POL products being sloshed around. The leather will disintegrate so fast you'll think "SCOTTY beamed it up to the Enterprise!" But the Blade Tech was engineered (not cheap plastic) to be impervious to all weather conditions, all types of corrosive chemicals....basically engineered to face the EXTREMES of everything. If I had to go to combat, give me the Blade-Tech product anyday, especially with the H&K or Sig or Glock. Those all go together with the Blade-Tech like "peas & carrots" as Gump would say.

LEATHER ?? NOOOOOO, the Safariland 6004 series is not a LEATHER holster !! It is a far more durable type of KYDEX than any other manufacturer is capable of producing. With the SLS rotating hood thumb break that considered a LEVEL II rentention system. It is drop down thigh holster with a leg shroud that made of the same of durable KYDEX with two leg straps and ported for the addition of a dual mag pouch or other tactical pouches such a light or knife holder. It also had a tensioning screw that allows for the tention of the holster to be tightened or loosened for the proper fit of the weapon. Rule of thumb with the Safariland holster is to have enough tension to be able to hold the holster upside down, with weapon, and shake it without the weapon being dropped from the holster. It does exactly that without placing to much tension on the weapon for drawing when the sidearm is needed.

Mine is actually a desert sand color. I have now purchased the 6074 series and another 6004 for the H&K Mk23 with dual mag pouch.

I certainly didn't mean any offense to those that like Blade Tech, however I am sitting with my Blade Tech next to my chair as I type and one of my Safariland 6074's and there is simply no comparison in the quality of Blade Tech holster. Cheap plasitc, not even sure if its really considered a KYDEX, suppose it is, but with minimal quality and with high impact or extreme ops I cant imagine this holster keeping up with the demands of anything more than walking the perimeter at night !! If your going to use a Blade Tech holster for deployment, I would suggest using a pistol lanyard also !! The rubber thumb break is simply poor construction and anything other than soft duty will surely find your sidearm missing !! The pistol lanyard will at least give you the ability to drag your sidearm back to you should you be using this holster.

No offense, but if you are Blade Tech enthusiast, you've paid too much for thier quality, or lack of. I believe I paid $125 for mine, and the Safariland was $149. Well worth the slight extra cost.
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

Exclamation I Stand Corrected....

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk6
    The Safariland 6004 is not leather. It is a suede-lined, kydex-like (safari-laminate) holster. As you can see from Mr. Crawford's post, it is pretty much THE standard in tactical holsters. Mine has seen hard use in every climate on the planet and while, well worn, it is still going strong.
    I stand corrected on the subject of the SafariLand product. I know they make a good product, my very first shoulder holster ever for my very first handgun ever (S&W M19 4") and it served me well for a good many years. But the belt snap wore out and the leather wore out eventually. Leather wears out. Fact of life. Kydex doesn't wear out. I've not even had a piece of hardware "wear out" yet. Not to say a snap won't fail on the straps of an IWB that wraps around a belt. Might happen, I haven't seen it yet and I've had some of my Blade-Tech products durn near as long as I had that SafariLand.

Leather is comfortable. Leather is friendly....like an old and well worn baseball glove. Generally speaking a good leather product won't let you down when the chips are down. Heck I have LOTS of leather holsters! Sam Andrews (5) DeSantis (2) Galco (2). But when I want to feel STRAC, I wear Kydex. For me, Blade-Tech defines Kydex.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Question BTW, SKYGOD....Did I say....

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod
    It also had a tensioning screw that allows for the tention of the holster to be tightened or loosened for the proper fit of the weapon. Rule of thumb with the Safariland holster is to have enough tension to be able to hold the holster upside down, with weapon, and shake it without the weapon being dropped from the holster. It does exactly that without placing to much tension on the weapon for drawing when the sidearm is needed.

Mine is actually a desert sand color. I have now purchased the 6074 series and another 6004 for the H&K Mk23 with dual mag pouch.
    My Blade-Tech's have the same tensioning screw present. They work well, for me. My test for proper tension is the same as yours.

DAAAAAANG you actually use the MK23? I thought THAT was a crew served handgun! You must be AHNOLD to be able to get any decent groups with THAT HAWG-leg! I can't even get a decent grip on it.

By the way, SkyGod? Did I tell you THANK YOU and God Bless you for your service? I meant to, right off.

You know, I used to DUMMY-CORD (lanyard) everything. Canteens, primary and secondary weapons, protective mask, everything. Thank the Lord I don't have to do that stuff anymore.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Lead Moderator
    Lanyards are a good idea for anyone really wanting to keep their items. Never tried either holster but I am sure both are decent holsters for their intended purpose. No need to bash a holster maker. if it doesn't work for ya fine. Kinda the same as guns, I don't personally like Glocks , but they seem to work great for many.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

My bad I thought this was a thread on blade Tech and delivery time.

Administrator
    ordy1 is 100% Correct.

Yes, it is or it is supposed to be.

Let's not turn this into a slam fest of any particular brand of holster.
    The thread topic was Blade~Tech delivery times.

There are thousands of folks out there who are extremely happy with their BT holsters.
    Their prices are fair and reasonable.

Somehow this thread has morphed into a quality comparison of military drop leg holsters.

That is not what this thread is about.

This thread is posted in the Concealed Carry Holsters & Carry Options area of the forum.

It is not a thread about Military or SWAT Tactical Drop Leg Rigs.

Can we stay on topic to the thread please?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

They say 5 weeks on the website. Then they say 6 weeks on the confirmation. I called them after 8 weeks and got the run around saying how they would overnight it and it took another week. They are friendly on the phone, but they are VERY incompetant.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Apology !

Being that I hijacked this thread with my experience with Blade Tech holsters and my 2002 deployment to the middle east, I would like to apologize for my remarks that were otherwise negative regarding the quality of the holster and it's shipping time promises. Again, this is a sincere apology for hijacking the thread.

I also was promised a maximum of 5 weeks for the tactical thigh rig molded for the Beretta M9 with Surefire Polymer Series Tac-Light. I do understand that with the multitude of weapons that Blade Tech is able to provide holsters for, orders are sometimes, or every time possibly "Made to custom" especially for something that would incorporate a certain accessory like the Surefire line of weapon mounted tac-lights. With military orders, and civillian and law enforcement, it's no doupt that Blade Tech has thier hands full with recent increases in demand for military purchases.

As for the holster, yes it works, it will most likely withstand the tortures of combat, however some minor modifications to the thumbreak and a lining inside the molded Kydex would make for much more weapon friendly holster. Again, my experience is with the tactical thigh rigs, not the concealed carry holsters. My concern has alway's been the thumb break as opposed to something like the Safariland SLS rotating hood that is level II tension resistent system. With the Blade Tech, it is cumbersome to have to reholster the weapon and stretch the rubber thumb break back to it's snaped positon vs simply pushing the SLS rotating hood back into position over the weapon. I relize that the SLS from Safariland is a patented system, and only Safariland can offer these types of rentention systems, leading up to even level IV for law enforcement seeking a holster that is virtually impossible to be taken away by an assault attempt from a bad guy. One would have to have actually owned one of their holsters to know the I,II, III, IV steps to removing the weapon from the holster.

Since I was offered a possible trade in of my Blade Tech holster, I will ship it back for another possible holster.

Once again, my sincere apology for leading this thread down a road that became hijacked.

Sincerely
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by NY27
    They say 5 weeks on the website. Then they say 6 weeks on the confirmation. I called them after 8 weeks and got the run around saying how they would overnight it and it took another week. They are friendly on the phone, but they are VERY incompetant.
    It sounds like one hand is unaware of the other's activities!

I don't know the company set-up. But what if...when you call, you get to talk to a person in the order dept who then sends it to the manufacture side of the house. Then there's a backlog due to the military orders. When you call to complain, do you talk to the guy in the "order dept?" Is the shop so compartmentalized that a guy who takes "orders for manufacture" can't definitively react because he doesn't know? Then he sends along a note or makes a comment and the guy who's responsible for shipping or somebody in the shipping department who's already swamped. All it takes is forgetting to punch things into the computer and there's your foul-up. Does this make sense at all? Does this sound like what's happening here?

BTW, I apologize for the thread hijack, too. I misunderstood the thread topic. I thought it was a blade tech quality thread and not specific to shipping. I also was completely unaware that SkyGod was discussing drop holsters! I thought the whole thing was the concealment line! LOL I have never EVER in my life used a drop holster! When I was on active duty we officers carried a 1911 in the OLD leather flap holster that brings to mind John Wayne and
    The Sands of Iwo Jima.

Administrator

Thumbs up Much Appreciated Folks

SkyGod ~ Others for getting back on track. Thanks!

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    SkyGod ~ Others for getting back on track. Thanks!
    I've found this sight to be much more compatible to discussions regarding the various topics of interest to carry concealed enthusiast. At PDO there are daily beatings and the forum has become non-palitable to the user and members.

Thank you again for the display's of professionalism on this sight !!

Sincerely
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod
    At PDO there are daily beatings and the forum has become non-palitable to the user and members.

Thank you again for the display's of professionalism on this sight !!

Sincerely
    Daily Beatings? Sounds like Bumper's been there! Has the morale improved since the beatings began?

What IS PDO if I might ask....so I know not to go there.

Assistant Administrator
    Jim - PDO is ''Packing Dot Org'' - which has had some ''problems'' of late. That said it is our policy to not wish to drag in other site's or board's troubles into CC.

Low key is way to go
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I've received my Blade-Tech ultimate concealment holster since I've last posted on this thread. I must say, I'm very impressed with the holster. I dare say it conceals my Px4 almost as well as my Bersa .380. Now, if they could only get their shipping department together some more, it'd be a really great company.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links