White dress shirt and a shoulder holster

This is a discussion on White dress shirt and a shoulder holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I tried to search the forums for this and did not really come up with anything. I am wondering about using a shoulder holster with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White dress shirt and a shoulder holster

White dress shirt and a shoulder holster

I tried to search the forums for this and did not really come up with anything. I am wondering about using a shoulder holster with a white dress shirt. Does it show through? I either wear white or blue dress shirts. I am looking for deeper concealment for certain occasions. Right now, I carry IWB, but I find it quite difficult to tuck in a dress shirt with the tuckable holster that I have. the shirt tails are just too long.

Is shoulder carry my next best option? Does anyone else shoulder carry regularly with a white dress shirt and tie?

What about a Belly Band? Would that work under a white dress shirt?

Thanks,
    Derrick

2. Remove Ads

I almost always carry a 1911 using a shoulder holster, but then I am almost always wearing a sport coat. Of course, with the sport coat, the color shirt really doesn't matter except the leather has "bled" on some of my shirts causing staining. If you are talking about carrying under the shirt, I would suggest avoiding a white shirt. Patterned shirts work well and darker colors work well, but the straps tend to show under my white shirts unless they are textured white shirts.

During the summer, I carry under a "fisherman's" shirt. (not sure what else to call them) I buy them at Cabellas. They are of heavy enough material that the color doesn't allow straps to show through. They are vented to be cool, and the back vent really hides any printing that goes with a shoulder holster. I buy them at least a size too big to hide the shoulder holster.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Thanks Goldy49. My specific scenario is for Church. I am the pastor, so I am normally wearing a suit coat or sport's coat. However, sometimes in the summer the coat has to come off because it gets pretty hot here in Georgia. I wear a white dress shirt about 4 out of 5 Sundays. I need pretty deep concealment because of my situation. No one at the church would mind knowing that I carry, but visitors might not understand. The last thing I want to do is run off a visitor to church because I am carrying.

All this is in the planning stage right now because here in Georgia it is illegal to carry at church. However, we have 2 bills that just passed the state Senate and are waiting for a house vote. These bills would allow Church carry. I want to be ready.

There are a number of options. There are 'chest band' type rigs with a single support strap such as the 'Kangaroo Carry' and some similar products. There are some 'holster shirts' from 2 or 3 companies--T-shirts with built-in holster pockets. Ken Null's shoulder rigs with white straps have been mentioned at various forums as a possibility. I have one of those on order and am about to give it a trial with a gun that's likely too big and heavy for it but I have to find out for myself.

I think the time is ripe for someone to design a 21st-century shoulder rig that is very thin, wide where it needs to be for support, just elastic enough to be comfortable and yet with cross-ways stiffness for stability.

I ran into an old friend recently at a gun show. He sells various nylon holsters and rigs he has made. I tried to convince him that there is a need for an advanced shoulder rig design in white but he thinks such a thing would not sell. I wonder.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by derbow View Post
    Thanks Goldy49. My specific scenario is for Church. I am the pastor, so I am normally wearing a suit coat or sport's coat. However, sometimes in the summer the coat has to come off because it gets pretty hot here in Georgia. I wear a white dress shirt about 4 out of 5 Sundays. I need pretty deep concealment because of my situation. No one at the church would mind knowing that I carry, but visitors might not understand. The last thing I want to do is run off a visitor to church because I am carrying.
    Given the situation, you might try a different firearm and pocket carry for services. Getting a white shirt to hide a shoulder rig is not too easy and if you are like many preachers, you probably work up a sweat and then the shirt will not hide much of anything. A nice small 9mm, .38 or .380 that can hide in a front pant pocket in a pocket holster will hide through it all if you wear pants that are a bit baggy. If your church is a hugger church, this will also be easier to deal with than a shoulder rig.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I agree with ksholder. In your situation, I wouldn't consider a shoulder holster as your first option. I'd go with a smaller gun - maybe a .380 or 9mm and find a good pocket holster for it. (My summer gun is often a Colt Mustang in .380). Shoulder holsters can be a pain in the butt in warm weather and you have a lot more of it then I do. "Huggers" don't spell out a good situation for shoulder holsters.

id say try an ankle holster out, i did a little preachin in my day and i always had alot of contact with people, the little old ladies needed thier weekly hugs, little kids and babys being held, im sure you know what i mean, if you are a righty put it on the inside of your left leg and it will be invisible Matthew 7:12

Quote Originally Posted by paullie View Post
    id say try an ankle holster out, i did a little preachin in my day and i always had alot of contact with people, the little old ladies needed thier weekly hugs, little kids and babys being held, im sure you know what i mean, if you are a righty put it on the inside of your left leg and it will be invisible Matthew 7:12
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^

but if you really want to use your IWB holster a good tailor will quickly modify your shirt tails so they work.

I have tried a number of belly band type holsters and they all have printed too badly through a dress shirt: even before started loading them up with a gun and magazines!

A 5.11 Tactical holster shirt conceals very well with a compact semi-auto. But it's a compression shirt so it squeezes you, and it can get hot.

I find a Comp-Tac MTAC IWB holster conceals well. It's great at 4-5:00, but I have to wear at 3:00 which makes my hip look wider on the holster side if you know what to look for.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I agree with paullie, mfcmb, I dont think it would be easy enough to get to the weapon if one has to unbutton a dress shirt then unvelcro a tshirt, then draw and present. just my two cents, which with a doller and 9 cents will get you a cup of coffee at mickey d's
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

How about a magnet under the pulpit to hold your gun in a concealed but accessible place
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    How about a magnet under the pulpit to hold your gun in a concealed but accessible place
    Assuming that he does not stand at the pulpit the whole service, how does he get the gun to/from the pulpit and how does he ensure it is not accessible to others?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Have you considered a Smart Carry?
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    Have you considered a Smart Carry?
    +1

It would be deep concealed, easier to draw than compression shirt holster under a button down shirt, and it would be harder for someone to bump/discover when hugging (which my pastor is called on to do a lot).

Another alternate plan could be a "Smart Carry" holster. I have one that I use from time to time, and to be quite honest, have worn it, and even forgotten I had it on. After a time, you really get used to it. The only problem that I have is sitting in my vehicle, I'd find it exceedingly difficult to draw the weapon, should the need arise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links