Smart Carry slung off to the side?

Smart Carry slung off to the side?

This is a discussion on Smart Carry slung off to the side? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been trying to solve the puzzle of 1911 carry in pants and a tucked polo shirt for a while. My latest solution, which I've ...

Lightbulb Smart Carry slung off to the side?

I've been trying to solve the puzzle of 1911 carry in pants and a tucked polo shirt for a while. My latest solution, which I've been using for a couple of months now, is to take a SmartCarry holster, swing it around 90 degrees until the pouch is at the 3:00 or 3:30 position, place the gun in there, and button shirt and pants over all so it disappears.

I can't think of a downside to this method, it seems very secure, doesn't shift around, doesn't mess with the safety, and is the most invisible thing I've ever tried.

Any input on this, something I might be missing?

I think it's a pretty cool idea. What's your draw speed carrying this way?

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Like above,I would ask,whats your time to present. This,if I understand you, in that the whole rig is oriented at 3-3:30 inside your shirt that is tucked in and the buttons are at 12:00 o'clock ???? -------

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Not exactly the way the SmartCarry is designed, but, hey, if it works for you, by all means do it!

Assistant Administrator
    Not tried it James but as ever - if it works ........

I think there are numerous rigs and devices which can be used differently - for instance the Action Direct belly band has it seems suited some folks best as a high chest position.

Final results dictate viability, tho here as others mentioned - speed of presentation sounds like it could be a tad slow.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I've never worn a smart carry before, but from how they're designed I would think it would be very hard to draw the weapon this way. I can barely get my fingers inside my jeans on my hip. I'd like to hear how your ease of draw is.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Great idea. I have done this quite a while with my sw642. It works great! The grip is the only thing above the belt line and you can draw it pretty well. I have not tucked a shirt before, but I will try that next.
    The smart carry was a great purchase for the money....no matter how you wear it.
    I use this mostly for deep concealment situations, so I am not really concerned about speed of presentation as much as no-see-ums.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Presentation time is similar to an IWB holster with an untucked shirt. With everything tucked in and neat-looking, presentation time is rubbish- as with any "tuckable" holster.

The gun itself comes out nicely, due to the cloth inner lining of the rig.

So the way I wear it, it's considered Deep Concealment, so it's slow, but if speed is required, that's what the J-frame in the front pocket is for!

I'll have to get a video of myslef or something... I still can't believe how discrete this rig seems to be, even under the flimsiest of tucked shirts.

You would be better off with IWB

I own both types. You would definately be better off with a good IWB holster for you 1911. It tucks the gun in better. Plus a lot more comfortable.

steve

Actually, you can wear a Smartcarry that way and conceals a gun better tucked than a holster designed to be a tuckable does.

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightRambler
    Actually, you can wear a Smartcarry that way and conceals a gun better tucked than a holster designed to be a tuckable does.

Very true. I have a Milt Sparks VMII designed for this particular gun, which I bought after a year of consideration and saving, etc. I hated it, it's never been comfortable in any position, nor has it been that discrete, possibly due to it's thickness. My body type just doesn't agree with IWB somehow, despite the fact that it agrees with the majority of the people who post here. :) The smartcarry makes what is for me an uncomfortable but necessary carry method so much better.

I'll probably sell it, although I hate to part with such a nice holster, even if I never use it.

The Smartcarry is excellent as a deep cover holster, IMHO. Carried as recommended, I've found presentation times are similar to wearing an IWB, and having to sweep a long tailed shirt out of the way first. Of course, that's assuming your pants aren't too tight.

I use my left hand to pull the waist band out, with my right hand, get a firm grip .. on the pistol The advantage here is that your left hand is making the opening. If you carry it strong side, is it difficult to make an opening with your right hand, AND get a grip?

I'll never sell mine, Jamz .. it's just too "adaptable." I'll never be without a Smartcarry and a belly band. They won't ever take the place of a good strong side holster (either IWB or OWB) but they are very versatile with both placement on your body, and with your choice of weapon. YMMV!

I actually wore my smart carry with my 642 last weekend...the kicker..it was under my tux, in the wedding I was in. I wore it about 330 position. It was great! very comfortable, and my wife, who happened to be my partner in the wedding party never knew I had it on. She walked with me, danced, etc. It was deep concealment at its best. My cousin even teased me that I didn't have my "heat" with me. And that I must feel naked. LOL. I said yeah...hard to get used to.
    At a side carry position, I just had to grap a hand full of shirt with my strong hand, then grap the grip of the 642. Slower...yes, but totally hidden. I even gave hugs to relatives...with the coat, vest, shirt and under shirt. plus the pants, you couldn't hardly feel it.
    and no...it wasn't that bad of a wedding...lol...just wanted to see if it was possible...and I didn't want to feel naked....plus you never know what crazies the "other" side of the family might have.
    The hard part was the speed loader I keep in the other pocket of the smart carry...that was not easily accessible, and would require good cover to retrieve.
    but all in all, a very rewarding carry night, and a great wedding/reception.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

I've not read every post, but the opening begs the question, "Why not wear the SmartCarry holster the way it was intended to be worn?"

The majority of my carry time is with SmartCarry, using it in the location it was intended to occupy, and it works great. I'd not give up on that method by wearing it in another location, since it works so well there.

I say, "Use as advertised!"

explanation?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC
    I've not read every post, but the opening begs the question, "Why not wear the SmartCarry holster the way it was intended to be worn?"

The majority of my carry time is with SmartCarry, using it in the location it was intended to occupy, and it works great. I'd not give up on that method by wearing it in another location, since it works so well there.

I say, "Use as advertised!"

Well....it is like this.
    'sometimes it is like a small hotel.....no ballroom".
    Really it is three reasons.
    1. i find with some outfits, it is not as accessible when used as advertised.
    2. i sometimes get 'pinched' with the inseam of the pants with it worn as advertised.
    3. it does create a little bulge in the pants, and with me standing in front of that many family and friends, I didn't want them to think I was THAT excited about the marriage.
    ----DOC-----

Links