Galco King Tuck for S&W M&P40 Review

This is a discussion on Galco King Tuck for S&W M&P40 Review within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I while I await the arrival of my license to carry I am getting all my ducks in a row. I bought a Galco ...

Thread: Galco King Tuck for S&W M&P40 Review

So I while I await the arrival of my license to carry I am getting all my ducks in a row. I bought a Galco King Tuck that arrived today for the M&P 40 (although I have an SD40 which fits it also) and thought I'd give my initial impressions.

Great quality first and foremost. It is adjustable which I like too. The holster has built in butt forward cant and the adjust-ability allows for more if you wish. The molded part is tight, but well made and the holster fits my frame well (5'11 and 200lbs).

Since I can't carry outside my property I can only say that my wife, kids, and dogs did not and have not noticed me wearing it for the last 3 hours. I even held my kids, put them on my shoulders as we played with the dogs, and had them hug me and such, none the wiser. Best part is I am in shorts, and a t-shirt tucked in. I'd say that is good concealment.

I can't legally drive with a loaded gun until the permit gets here but I did sit in my car (lowered BMW 3 series) and can say while it isn't super comfortable, I can easily drive with it on and not be too uncomfortable, at least on short trips (wouldn't want to drive hours with it on though). Around the house in various chairs, couch's, etc it is just fine. Draw is a little tough but in the heat of battle, I suppose it is a non issue cause if you give it a nice jerk, it comes out with no problem. The hard mold keeps my trigger nice and protected so no chance of accidental discharge and the holster has leather that is between all parts of the weapon and myself.

Mine has black metal hooks that securely hold it to my belt and unlike loops, you absolutely would NEVER notice these as long as I wear a black belt.

Rarely does a product live up to it's "marketing hype" but this holster does and I will buy from Galco again. Another nice touch is I ordered it on Sunday night and it got here today. For $66 shipped to my door, it was a great investment.

Oh, one last thing, I tend to wear my OWB holster right at 3 oclock. With this style holster that is insanely uncomfortable. It really does better at 4-5 oclock so if you like the 3 oclock position, this isn't a good option.
    Attached Images

Yep, I like mine. I usually wear at 2:30 or 3:30, depending, but 3:00 isn't too bad with my P-9 because it's much thinner than my M&Ps. I found that putting the barrel partway into the holster and twisting it will stretch the leather and greatly improve the draw and reholstering. It's a great holster, but definitely needs broken in.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I found that putting the barrel partway into the holster and twisting it will stretch the leather and greatly improve the draw and reholstering.
    Great idea, thank you for that!

Careful about stretching that leather....re-holster will become more and more difficult as the leather back stretches...
    The Second Amendment is clear, concise, and not open to interpretation.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    This type of holster really is best at 3:30-4.
    Hakkaa päälle!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It's unfortunate that the "Tuck" doesn't fit any of my guns.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by gimike View Post
    Careful about stretching that leather....re-holster will become more and more difficult as the leather back stretches...
    The holster is not leather, but Kydex. The carrier for the holster is leather though, but don't think shrinkage will be a problem unless he goes swimming with it on.
    "Trouble Never Makes An Appointment"

Saw one at a local dealer that fit the XD9 and XD40. After a quick call to Galco and some hands-on testing, I can attest it fits the XD45 as well.

It is indeed a firm draw, but not to the point where I feel I need to break it in.

When it first came it rode higher than the other IWB holsters I've tried (including a canted leather Kramer and tuckable IWB holsters from High Noon Holsters, both canted and non-canted.) I adjusted the belt clips so it would sit lower and it fits well now.

The only feedback I have that is less than positive is about the smooth-side hard leather facing my hip. Cinching my belt really tight is uncomfortable and bad for my lower back. Loosening one notch from super tight, either of my High Noon holsters stay-put better than the KingTuk as the soft leather on the High Noons don't slide as easily on my skin or boxers. With the KingTuk's smooth, hard leather the whole thing stays exactly where I put it on my belt, but moves my whole belt line up and down slightly as it wills. I'm thinking about roughing up the smooth leather side to combat this. Any tips?

I feel this holster is quite concealable, equal to any of the other IWB canted holsters I've had, and with the added bonus that it is tuckable. Theoretically it should distribute the weight better than a smaller IWB with a single belt clip (like the High Noons I have.) I just haven't found the sweet spot yet since it likes to move around.

Good review.

I bought a King Tuk, about a month ago when I saw that it cost less and had less of a wait time than the Crossbreed Supertuck.

I bought mine for my Sig 229 .40 cal SAS, Gen 2 model. It fits well, but I can see that it was fitted for the original frame size. The Gen 2 has been "dehorned" to have a slightly smaller frame/trigger guard, as well as being smoothed out for a "snag free profile".

I like it. I had to adjust the ride height, but that was no problem. Yes, the smooth leather backing can shift, I would be interested in the possibility of roughing it up. However, I wear suspenders with my belt, and it seems to stay put then. You can also order extra "C-clips" if you want.

I wear it at about 3:30, it very comfortable and almost possible to forget it is on!

As for the sliding issue, it was not to great for me, Unless I was wearing a pair of silk briefs.

Links