Please help I've almost got her to carry except for one problem

This is a discussion on Please help I've almost got her to carry except for one problem within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife has finally conceded that she does need to carry as I am not always around. Now comes the big problem she is HORRIBLE ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Please help I've almost got her to carry except for one problem

My wife has finally conceded that she does need to carry as I am not always around. Now comes the big problem she is HORRIBLE allergic to anything metal, that being said I am going to contact Mark from crossbreed and see if he will make a holster for her bodyguard with plastic backs for the metal inserts holding the clips on, but the belt is an issue she wears one and immediately breaks out on her stomach, she has tried the nail polish thing (dont really work for her) so now I dont know what to do it seems like the only option is to string a stupid piece of rope around her waist.

Anyone have any ideas I am now open ive exausted everything I know.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Frequent Flyer Belt: Tactical Gear, Tactical Equipment, Duty Belts, Slings, USA The frequent flier belt is supposed to be non metallic...maybe that would work?

"The Frequent Flyer is a 100% non-metallic, security-friendly belt. Naturally, it still meets the standards for quality and durability that we established with our Original Instructor Belts."

Distinguished Member
    I've also got the nickel allergy big time, so I reseached this exhaustively. Here is a link to Tucker Gunleather's The Answer holster:

"The Answer" IWB

It is FULLY LINED on the skin side, with absolutely no hardware. I've yet to order one, as I got diverted into other firearms expenditures. The only downside I can see for me is that you stick one of these holsters on your belt and there it stays until you totally de-rig it. I change clothes a lot during the day, so I wanted a quick on and off, and have been using either the IWB summer special type design (also no hardware on skin), or an OWB when the IWB gets too achey.

Carrying for a girl first time can be daunting with the whole wardrobe thing. Where there is a will there is a way though. She might have to go get some new vesty overgarments or longer tops and jackets, so $be prepared$ when she mentions that. Women's clothing is not as forgiving unless you carefully choose it for this purpose.

Be sure to click on the "detailed review of the answer" on that link, it takes you to another website that has a ton of pics, you can see the whole backside clearly.

ps. I think this type of holster is pretty good for the "does my gun make me look fat" question.

Have you considered an all-leather holster as opposed to the leather/kydex hybrids? Those wouldn't have any metal on the skin side, and you can get one with a slide guard to protect her from the slide.
    oneshot likes this.
    Current armament:
    Ruger 10/22
    Remington 870 Express 20ga.
    S&W M&P40c
    S&W 642

VIP Member
    I don’t know how well they hold up but maybe a belt with a Velcro closer.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    belts with velcro closure do not hold up well at all
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by Dleavitt View Post
    Have you considered an all-leather holster as opposed to the leather/kydex hybrids? Those wouldn't have any metal on the skin side, and you can get one with a slide guard to protect her from the slide.
    I did check on them but i am in love with my crossbreed and she really seems to like it also.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy85 View Post
    Frequent Flyer Belt: Tactical Gear, Tactical Equipment, Duty Belts, Slings, USA The frequent flier belt is supposed to be non metallic...maybe that would work?

"The Frequent Flyer is a 100% non-metallic, security-friendly belt. Naturally, it still meets the standards for quality and durability that we established with our Original Instructor Belts."
    This would work awsome for me but I showed it to her and she said "AH NO" not my style.

Quote Originally Posted by mrm View Post
    This would work awsome for me but I showed it to her and she said "AH NO" not my style.
    crud...I tried..women are complicated..probably one of the many reasons i'm single :)
    mr.stuart likes this.

The Comp-tac M-Tac is alot like the crossbreed, except they use a second piece of leather on the backing to cover up all the metal hardware, so there is zero skin contact with any metal.

As for her allergy, most people alergic to "Metal" are actually allergic to Nickel. Try some titanium instead. Wilderness tactical has a titanium buckle, but it ain't exactly fashionable, but there may be other titanium buckles out there. Titanium is the metal used in many surgical implants etc... it should be better on the skin.

Just doing some basic searching on google, I've found buckles in several styles.

I would second the Comp-Tac recommendation. It has a second layer of leather that doesn't expose the wearer to any metal. The clips are plastic, so they also protect again incidental contact.

I love my Crossbreeds, but the Comp-Tacs seem to hold just a little tighter against the body and are slightly more comfortable (for me). The Crossbreeds clips are spaced a little further apart, which makes tucking a little easier. The Comp-Tacs are also slightly harder to put on (again, for me).

Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster View Post
    The Comp-tac M-Tac is alot like the crossbreed, except they use a second piece of leather on the backing to cover up all the metal hardware, so there is zero skin contact with any metal.

As for her allergy, most people alergic to "Metal" are actually allergic to Nickel. Try some titanium instead. Wilderness tactical has a titanium buckle, but it ain't exactly fashionable, but there may be other titanium buckles out there. Titanium is the metal used in many surgical implants etc... it should be better on the skin.

Just doing some basic searching on google, I've found buckles in several styles.
    Yes. I'm allergic to that high tech "surgical" stainless steel.....you know teeeny % nickle in it. Takes awhile for my allergy to show up though (years of wearing the same jewelry) so it took me a bit to figure it out and I don't wear earrings anymore because of the irritation the holes closed up. I still have 2 piercings and wear Titanium 24/7 in them without issues.

My belt buckle doesn't touch my body through my pants though, so it doesn't bother me, but I'll trust the OP that it is an issue for them.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

One of my Minimal or Quick Snaps with the loop stitched closed would work great for her.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    One of my Minimal or Quick Snaps with the loop stitched closed would work great for her.
    Do you have a picture or anything that I might refer to what is a minimal or quick snap, I will gladdly show her a picture

Also to lordhamster the titanium buckle is a great idea and last night I showed her and she seemed interested in the style (which is hard to do). So I am going to order one and see.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Style is fine but Form Follows Function! Sometimes sacrifices and compromises need to be made.

I just watched a Youtube video Saturday of a lady showing different styles of holsters and carry that were quite stylish but I didn't save it. Oops!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links