Galco JAK202 Slide Belt Holster shoots it's owner

This is a discussion on Galco JAK202 Slide Belt Holster shoots it's owner within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; SAFETY WARNING! Worn Leather Holsters Can Cause Accidental Discharges! Another incident that teaches two points: 1. Holsters fail; inspect and replace your equipment 2. Laws ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Galco JAK202 Slide Belt Holster shoots it's owner

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Galco JAK202 Slide Belt Holster shoots it's owner

SAFETY WARNING! Worn Leather Holsters Can Cause Accidental Discharges!

Another incident that teaches two points:

1. Holsters fail; inspect and replace your equipment

2. Laws that require you to leave your gun in your car DO come back to bite you in the butt
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

It would have been a lot cheaper to buy another holster,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I don't think it speaks too well of a holster he had only used a year and 2 weeks. I have holsters over 40 years old with plenty of use that wouldn't do that. His own negligence here is obvious as well as he surely wasn't aware of the condition of his equipment. The incident further illustrates the need for trigger caution, especially with a Glock IMHO. A lesson for us all.

JD
    Administrator
    Never understood that holster design...

3D
    Whew!

Close call. Could have been WAY worse!

Reminder to check my equipment _____reholster (and fasten my seatbelt) very carefully.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    SAFETY WARNING! Worn Leather Holsters Can Cause Accidental Discharges!

Another incident that teaches two points:

1. Holsters fail; inspect and replace your equipment

2. Laws that require you to leave your gun in your car DO come back to bite you in the butt
    AND

3. Gives me one more reason "NOT" to buy a Glock!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

But, it seems every time we see a ND/AD story it has a "GLOCK" right in the middle of it!

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    AND

But, it seems every time we see a ND/AD story it has a "GLOCK" right in the middle of it!
    Probably moreso due to the popularity of GLOCK pistols.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I'm willing to bet that the way the holster is designed and worn,that over time the leather trigger guard was saturated with sweat which over time soaked into the leather turning it mushyI wear a leather OWB holster everyday in South Texas weather and never had my holsters lose their shape
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The grip safety on a 1911 or XD could have prevented this maybe?....I'm just say'n.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Russell
    XD9 Service
    XD9 SC

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

I would NEVER have picked this type of holster to carry one of my Glocks in......gotta blame the owner this time.
    joker1 and TN_Mike like this.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by russellb View Post
    The grip safety on a 1911 or XD could have prevented this maybe?....I'm just say'n.
    If he didn't carry at all it definitely would of prevented it........

There was a guy over at arfcom who got into a gun fight with a 1911. He got shot in the hand and when he went to pull the trigger the gun wouldn't fire. Because of his injury he was holding the pistol in a way that he wasn't pushing in the grip safety.

I also see guys in class having issues with one handed/weak handed manipulations because of the XD grip safety all the time.

There are always risks and everyone makes those choices of decreasing risks before a gunfight vs increasing risks during a gunfight.

I personally will take the simplicity of a glock with its point and shoot interface while knowing that it can increase my risk while carrying which means I just need to pay that much more attention to my training/gear/actions etc..... in trade I don't have to worry about the possibilty of the gun not firing because I forgot too or can't get the safety to disengage for whatever reason.

Some would rather carry in condition three etc.......

Personal choice but no matter what choice you make you are increasing your risks of the possibility of something bad happening at some point so just be aware.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    AND

Fear by ignorance

The OWNER shot himself by neglecting his equipment. Inspect your equipment. it is YOUR responsibility not the manufacturer who made it. He should have identified the equipment failure on his DAILY inspection before he put it on and replaced the equipment. He cannot blame the firearm, he cannot blame the holster.... he can only blame himself.

As for the people skeered of carrying a glock. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'm willing to bet that the way the holster is designed and worn,that over time the leather trigger guard was saturated with sweat which over time soaked into the leather turning it mushyI wear a leather OWB holster everyday in South Texas weather and never had my holsters lose their shape
    Also could have allot to do with where the holster was cut from the hide, and the grade of the leather. I don't know where Galco get's their hide, nor their build process, but I would guess that they are running clicker presses. If someone running the press ran a little too far into the belly area, it could explain that extra stretch in that trigger guard area. Also could have allot to do with the amount of oil the holster has seen as well, he could have overoiled the rig allot causing the trouble. Could just be the design as well, it's made to collapse between the pants and belt(from the looks of it), the fact that it collapsed and caused the discharge isn't much of a surprise, so much as it reinforces the fact that you don't get in any hurry to reholster, you do it with care and carefully. As well inspect your gear, if it's not working, it's time to replace it before it's unsafe.

Above all of that, I don't care what the holster, gun, or anything else is made of, it will at some point wear out. If you wear anything every single day it will wear out. I don't know anyone who wears the same pair of shoes daily that goes more than a few years on a set, let alone some of the long service lives that people often expect from holsters. The main point I would make also, is police officers who carry daily, fairly frequently have to replace holsters and gear, mostly because they just wear out with constant use. Same goes for concealed carry. If you only carry a few hours a week, or a day a week you will get allot more time out of a holster/belt system than someone that carry's every waking moment.

Take care!

Luke
    Jeepin76 likes this.
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

While I agree that holsters do wear out, and you, as the owner, need to be watchful of your gear; I can't help but wonder if this is a slightly faulty design. Worthy enough to sue the company? Not at all. Enough for the company to look at their design and decide that they might want to modify it so that this in no way could happen again... probably. Tricky situation, though. If the company modifies their design, are they admitting guilt if this guy were to sue?

...What a world we live in, today...

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by russellb View Post
    Actually I don't think the XD grip safety would have prevented this, just caused it at a different time. With the XD the discharge would have occurred when the user went to draw the weapon. Since the trigger would be engaged already as soon as his hand disengaged the grip safety the weapon would have discharged.

This really falls back on the user for not maintaining his equipment. He should have realized the holster had an issue and retired it.
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links