Review of Cane & Derby Appendix Holster

This is a discussion on Review of Cane & Derby Appendix Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased a holster from a new and very promising holster maker, Cane &Derby (also called CDI). Their holsters are made from kydex and ...

Thread: Review of Cane & Derby Appendix Holster

Review of Cane & Derby Appendix Holster

I recently purchased a holster from a new and very promising holster maker, Cane &Derby (also called CDI). Their holsters are made from kydex and appear to be similar to those made by Raven Concealment (I have never actually seen a raven holster, only pictures).

I ordered their PARDUS appendix IWB holster (PARDUS is the name for an Anatolian leopard, but I have no idea if that is where CDI got the name) in Coyote Brown, left-handed, for a Smith & Wesson M&P .45 mid-size.

If the customer service I received is typical of this company, I predict a great future for them. I ordered over the internet on a Saturday morning. On Sunday, I received a telephone call from Ian at CDI. He advised me that their Coyote Brown kydex was somewhat thicker than most of their other colors, and this might make the holster less comfortable/concealable. They would be happy to make it that way if it is what I wanted or they could make it of thinner kydex in another color. I chose Chocolate Brown (I just wanted something other than black for once). Ian said the holster would be made the following Thursday and would probably be shipped on Saturday.

As it happened, it did not get made on Thursday. I received an email from Ian that the had an equipment failure, and the production would be delayed a couple days. About a week later, I received another email that the same piece of equipment had failed again. It was being replaced, and by way of apology, they would include a free magazine holder with my holster.

Even with the delays, it was less than three weeks from ordering to receipt of the holster, and it was well worth it. The holster is well finished, retains the M&P perfectly, is the most comfortable IWB holster I have ever worn, and the M&P disappears under a T-shirt (the M&P .45 mid-size is not particularly small; it has a 4 barrel and it holds 10+1 rounds).

When I first received the holster, I was a little unhappy that he holster rode as low as it did, because I could not get a full combat grip on the gun as the butt was too close to my belt. I then realized that CDI had provided additional mounting holes for the loops. By using the second set from the top, it raised the holster to the perfect position. It looks like you could also adjust the cant if you wanted, but I haven't tried that; I'm using straight-drop.

CDI uses Blade-Tech rubber loops rather than the more common leather loops. I have both and prefer the rubber as they seem to hold tighter to the belt (you may not agree with me, but I won't hold it against you).

As a bonus, I discovered a couple days ago that both my FNP-9 and Ruger P345 also fit perfectly into this holster. When I emailed Ian about this he was quite surprised as was I.

Below are pictures of the holster with my M&P showing how well it conceals. I am left-handed, so the holster is being worn between 10:00 and 11:00 o'clock.

Now you see it ...

... Now you don't
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

2. Remove Ads

Looks like you have a good set up. Congrats.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

GM
    Glad you like it. Congrats and enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I like the look of the holster. You didn't ask, but I think you'd get better concealment of the grip, if you could wear the holster closer to your centerline. Also, I notice that your shirt has quite a long trunk. You'd get better access to your sidearm, if you could find a shirt with less length. Try drawing one-handed, and you'll see what I mean.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

$85 base price for a Kydex AIWB holster? It's a lot of dough for that holster.

I met Ian today at the gun show here in West Palm Beach. He had the appendix holster with him and it looks really good.
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Links