Single vs Double Clip IWB Holster for 1911 Officer

This is a discussion on Single vs Double Clip IWB Holster for 1911 Officer within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I find my self carrying my Commander size 1911 more often than other guns. My job prevents me from carrying full-time. I like ...

Thread: Single vs Double Clip IWB Holster for 1911 Officer

Question Single vs Double Clip IWB Holster for 1911 Officer

Hey guys,
    I find my self carrying my Commander size 1911 more often than other guns. My job prevents me from carrying full-time. I like the Commander and the two clip IWB holster I wear it in, but I'd like to add an all steel Officer size 1911 and a single clip holster to the rotation. I like the convenience of the single clip holster (easier to quickly slip on), but wonder if this type of gun carries well in such a holster or does it need dual clips to better distribute the weight. (BTW, I've already got good holster belts.) I have a single clip holster w/ the clip inline w/ the holster (for a different gun), but I'd prefer a holster w/ an offset clip. I've seen some made by HBE, Sideguard and Wild Bill's Concealment (although WB's don't have a "sweat/body guard", a feature I want).

What do you think? Is a single clip holster good to carry concealed an all steel 1911 Officer's model?

Who else makes this type of single clip (offset) holster that has/is:
    -a sweat guard
    -leather, not Kydex
    -metal or Kydex clips, not loops
    -tuckable

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Here is a link to my favorite holster maker, Dave Galloway at Little Bear Holsters. I have a few of his and love them. I am happy to call Dave a friend and one of the best holster makers out there... Look towards the bottom for a single clip holster or call Dave and talk about what you want. Little Bear Custom Holsters - INSIDE THE WAIST AND TUCKABLE HOLSTERS***HOPLITE: $100This is probably the most popular holster, by far.*I have found it popular because it suits smaller and larger individuals. It also hides anything from a Baby Glock t
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    BTW, I'll dive in and politely offerthat they're not "clips," they're magazines.
    Snicker, can't resist, sorry....
    I've yet to see a holster supported by magazines I could take this to several levels of cuteness like did you read the ENTIRE 3 post thread? But in reality, I'm making the bold assumption that you had your tongue firmly positioned in your cheek. I know you know about holster belt clips vs gun magazines and saw a little jab here. Ya did good guy!

VIP Member
    While it does not have the sweat guard you want I have carried a SA Micro-Compact in a Wild Bill’s holster for many years. The holster carries very well and comfortably and there have been no problems with the holster changing position or slipping and it is easy to slip on and off.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    BTW, I'll dive in and politely offerthat they're not "clips," they're magazines.

Back on topic, I've never found the holster with integral mag carrier to be particularly useful. In order to reload, you'll either be shifting your gun to the support hand or making a long reach across your torso to retrieve the fresh mag. Neither is quick or convenient if you need to reload in a hurry.
    I'll throw in the clips the OP is referring to are belt clips,like the type the Crossbreed uses to mount their holsters to your belt,
    I used to carry a RIA compact 3.5" 1911 in a IIRC galco IWB single clip holster,downside is the grip angle shifts quite a bit,I now carry a commander in an OWB double clip or belt loop holster
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'll clarify my post so there's no misunderstanding. The "clips" I'm referring to are the "clips" (usually Kydex or metal) that are attached to a holster. These "clips" are used to attach said holster to a belt. I'm not referring to "magazines" that contain bullets and are insterted into handguns. I'm also not referring to "magazine" carriers that attached to a belt for the purpose of carrying extra "magazines" for a handgun.

Thnanks for the input. I'm still looking for further experiences and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    Snicker, can't resist, sorry....
    I've yet to see a holster supported by magazines I could take this to several levels of cuteness like did you read the ENTIRE 3 post thread? But in reality, I'm making the bold assumption that you had your tongue firmly positioned in your cheek. I know you know about holster belt clips vs gun magazines and saw a little jab here. Ya did good guy!
    Ye gods, you're right... to heck with the snicker, that one deserves a belly laugh pointed squarely at ME. That's what I get for posting when I'm over tired! My apologies to the OP; dumb post deleted!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Good question from the OP. I tried several single-clip holsters for the officers 1911 and found that it's just a little too magazine-heavy to stay stable, so I now carry it in an MTAC (works great, btw - but it's a two-clipper).

I seriously looked at the Wild Bill that you mentioned. I think it would have worked, but I woulda hated myself adding another single-clip style to the holster box if it didn't, so I didn't take the chance.

Undercover IWB Leather Concealment Holster

Unfortunately my two officer size 1911's are aluminum. I have a Galco Ultra Deep Cover to use during the work week when going out of the office to slip my pistol on off with ease. It works great with non gun belts. Not sure how much 5-6 more ounces would feel with the setup but it should be very doable as I have toted my 39 ounce Government, not so comfortably because of printing, with out issue. The MTAC does make the Government disappear just fine though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I make a single clip called a Quick Clip with all the specs your looking for and a Double Clip. Take a look at my site for more options.

I carry my officer size 1911 in one of my Double Clips.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Links