Paddle holsters

This is a discussion on Paddle holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For my new carry gun, a SIG 229r 357 SIG, I think a paddle holster would be the way to go. I am a bit ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm

Thread: Paddle holsters

Paddle holsters

For my new carry gun, a SIG 229r 357 SIG, I think a paddle holster would be the way to go. I am a bit leery of the plastic holsters, as I have heard that they can really do a number on the gun's finish. I favor leather. I have looked at Galco, Kramer, Bianchi, Safariland, Desanti, and Don Hume. I would prefer a lined holster, but lining is not mandatory. A high quality holster with a comfortable paddle is. On the other hand, 150 bucks for a Kramer is a bit more than I want to spend. Any input from anybody will be appreciated. Many thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I've been using a Galco CCP for about a year now, can't say that its the best, but I carry a 5" 1911, Yup, I know it's a big one, but you just learn to live with the weight.
    The holster is really well made and finished, and having an adjustable cant is convenient, but I feel it would be better if I had a 4" Wilson.
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

It has been my unfortunate experience that paddle holsters are not the best platform.

IF you get a quality paddle, make sure it has some way to stay anchored on your belt or pants so it doesn't shift. I've seen plenty of paddle holster shift around and climb out of the waistband during movement. For "widebodies" this usually meant the muzzle was covering part of your anatomy. The first guy I saw ventilate his backside was with a paddle. The holster didn't cause the ND, poor gun handling did, but the holster had shifted a bit and the muzzle was pointed at his rear. His .40 round entered the bottom of his right cheek and traveled all the way down his leg until it stopped in his calf.

OTOH I have a "cheap" FOBUS paddle holster (for range use, not carry) that has a tab on the paddle and it simply doesn't move. If you are going for the convenience and ease of removing your holster, don't forget, the easier it is to remove from your waist makes it easier to move around on your waist when you don't want it to move.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

I have a Comptac paddle. It's quick and easy to put on. Just make sure the belt is tight enough, or the whole paddle can come out with the gun during the draw. I don't wear it much because it's not close to the body. I was looking at the High Noon Speedy Spanky, but havbe't heard anything about it.

Administrator
    KYDEX, Carbon Fiber, as well as leather will all eventually cause holster wear & abrasion of the contact areas on your firearm.

Unless...your firearm is Industrial Hard Chrome or Electroless Nickel plated or Titanium Nitride coated.
    Glock slides will eventually top coat "wear" but the underlying ultra tough Tenifer treatment is "in" the metal & is unaffected by holster wear.
    Personally I think that EVERY carry firearm should show honest holster wear that is indicative of a healthy amount of practice drawing the firearm & re-holstering.
    I want the person that is "watching my six" to be carrying a gun that displays LOTS of holster wear.

BTW: Suede "lined" holsters will usually accelerate "holster wear" because the suede will become embedded with Carbon and grit and eventually act almost like fine sandpaper or rubbing compound.

Suede that has been tanned with Chrome Salts (most suede is) will also eventually corrode & "pit" fine gun bluing.

One high dollar "lining" that I DO like for holsters is natural, undyed, Vegetable Tanned Kangaroo hide but, the hides are comparatively small & also it's expensive (for the square footage of leather that you get) and it's not very common here in the U.S.

But for the fact you have the R model (with rail), I'd highly recommend the DeSantis Viper. That's what I tote the Sig 220 in, and although I don't prefer a thumb break, the paddle is extremely secure. I confess to having a couple of Fobus paddles which are used primarily around the house, but their paddle is nowhere near as secure as the Viper's. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the Viper fits the R-model Sigs - but you might call and ask anyway. They might have a recommendation for you.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

These two may help you out below and we use a man made synthetic suede lining, Lining
    so the concerns QK has are correct for a tanned skin, but does not apply to our lining. We also have locking tabs on the paddle Close Up Speedy Spanky Locking Belt Tabs

Spanky

Speedy Spanky

Justin
    High Noon Holsters
    www.HighNoonHolsters.com

My paddles are made by Fobus. They are inexpensive, provide great level 1 retention ,are durable and hold up. I always by quality which means expensive, but these are an exception to that rule.
    paullie likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    KYDEX, Carbon Fiber, as well as leather will all eventually cause holster wear & abrasion of the contact areas on your firearm.

Unless...your firearm is Industrial Hard Chrome or Electroless Nickel plated or Titanium Nitride coated.
    Glock slides will eventually top coat "wear" but the underlying ultra tough Tenifer treatment is "in" the metal & is unaffected by holster wear.
    Personally I think that EVERY carry firearm should show honest holster wear that is indicative of a healthy amount of practice drawing the firearm & re-holstering.
    I want the person that is "watching my six" to be carrying a gun that displays LOTS of holster wear.

BTW: Suede "lined" holsters will usually accelerate "holster wear" because the suede will become embedded with Carbon and grit and eventually act almost like fine sandpaper or rubbing compound.

Suede that has been tanned with Chrome Salts (most suede is) will also eventually corrode & "pit" fine gun bluing.

One high dollar "lining" that I DO like for holsters is natural, undyed, Vegetable Tanned Kangaroo hide but, the hides are comparatively small & also it's expensive (for the square footage of leather that you get) and it's not very common here in the U.S.
    I learn something new every time I log into this site. Now, if I can just figure out what 'Depreciated Browser Error' means when I included a link in my post.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I have this one from Fist, for my Glock-36...works quite well.
    FIST, INC.

Yep, expensive, but you get what you pay for...IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Don Hume has some decent paddle holsters for a good value. But as others have said, it is hard to find a paddle holster that works well for concealment.

I'm having good luck with the Silent Thunder holster from Garrett Industries with the paddle mount. Leather (not suede) lined. Smooth and quiet in and out. The kydex shell holds it's shape so it's always easy to reholster. The paddle is easy to get on and off, yet is rock solid when on. Holds my Kahr CW9 in tight.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

I have had my Kramer horsehide for over 12 years. Well worth the money.
    "A gun is a tool, Marion. No better and no worse than any other tool - an axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." --from "Shane" (Alan Ladd) -1953

Links