Pancake or wraparound for better concealment

This is a discussion on Pancake or wraparound for better concealment within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking at these 2 shado holsters (links below) made by ray from Largo FL. I just got a Taurus 1911AR and they are very ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Guantes

Thread: Pancake or wraparound for better concealment

I'm looking at these 2 shado holsters (links below) made by ray from Largo FL.

I just got a Taurus 1911AR and they are very hard to find holsters for. Apparently the rail is huge on the Taurus, so it doesn't fit many railed 1911 holsters. I was told the ray does make PT1911AR holsters.

His prices are great. At the quality he makes them and only 35 bucks, I can't complain. He is coming to a nearby gunshow in 2 weeks as well. (Ft Lauderdale)

Now i've always carried IWB (MTAC) and that usually worked well for me as long as I wore something long enough that would hide the butt of the gun. They were shorter grip, but wider (SW MP) pistols.

now I want something diff for the 1911. I was thinking a OWB holster... I could achieve the same result wearing a long shirt to cover the holster, but it would rest OWB instead of IWB this time.

so I need something that conceals well and hugs the body tight.

am I better off with a pancake or wraparound?

These are the 2 I'm looking at.

Don't mind the thumb break. I'm neutral about it. nice to have a retention I guess... I really do love the look of the wraparound (sable), but I think the other one will hug tigther!

anyways, let me know what you think!

Sable Belt Holster (111)

Shado Belt Holster (110a)

Thanks!

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    The Sable is a great design but not as concealable as a pancake since a pancake actually wraps around ....the one you are referring to as a wrap around is a tunnel and loop design which doesn't pull the front of the holster into the body...

yup, that's the reason it's not as snug as a pancake...

The sable is so pretty though :(

function over looks I guess.

I do have to say though, everyone who owns ray's holsters, loves them. for a good deal! I wish I knew about them earlier lol

While the pancake may pull in tighter, I prefer the rake angle of the wraparound. I like 30-40* of forward rake with a large frame auto. It lowers the required arm lift to draw the pistol.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

is there THAT much of a difference? or is it minimal (as far as hugging the body) I will have a button up shirt over it that I don't button, so the shirt usually stays loose

That would be hard to say without trying them. The shirt clearance will depend somewhat on body type. I also wear an unbuttoned over shirt, but I have an inch-and-a half to two inches clearance from the inside of the shirt to my waistline, all the way around.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Sponsored Links