Lock `er up in the car/truck!

This is a discussion on Lock `er up in the car/truck! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Being very reluctant to just lock my gun in my pickup truck I started looking for a more secure method. In my travels around the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lock `er up in the car/truck!

VIP Member

Talking Lock `er up in the car/truck!

Being very reluctant to just lock my gun in my pickup truck I started looking for a more secure method. In my travels around the web I came across this:

http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...SF013&cat=3042

Does anyone have any experiance with this or something better?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Thumper, I don't have any experience with that unit, but it would not work for me. There is room under the seat in my truck, but there is a bar that runs right under the leading edge of the seat. It would be just short of impossible to use the drawer. I do have experience with the Center Of Mass In Car Gun Safes. http://www.center-of-mass.com/

I have a medium and a large. The medium is in my wife's car. She has a split bench seat and the armrest is over the middle hump. So I just slide the safe under there. Her electric seats don't have space under them for the safe. In my truck I have the large safe. It will slip right over the bar mentioned above. Since they are attached with a cable it requires not acrobatics nor contortions to put a pistol in the safe nor to take it out. Works for me.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    dr_cmg,

Thanks! That does look a whole lot easier!
    I take it you feel it's pretty sturdy? My truck has an alarm but no locking compartments.

Frank

superior skills."

Hey Thumper,

I also have the Car Gun Safe from Center of Mass, and it works great.

Let me also add that the folks there (C.O.M.) provide an exceptional service! I will not provide the particulars, becuase I don't want people to take advantage of them... but let me just say they will do whatever it takes to get you what you need when you need it even under very unusual circumstances.

-- FD

VIP Member
    The box is plenty tough and the cable is braided and cover with plastic. Sure if you use a bolt cutter you can get the box out, but first you will be pretting obvious and second it is not easy to get to the cable if you install it correctly. I set mine so I can just get the box out from under the seat with the seat in it's normal position for me. In this position the cable comes out of the box toward the the seat. To cut it you would have to slide the seat back so you could reach the cable.

There is nothing that can't be defeated if you are willing to invest the time, but not many would be thieves want to spent the time to get the box out. The thief wants to be quick in and out. He will leave things that require him to spend too much time.

I am not concerned when I leave my pistol in my COM safe. That doesn't mean I go looking for dark places on the bad side of town to park, but it does mean that in my everyday travels if I have to leave my pistol in the truck I am fairly certain that when I come back it will be there if the truck is.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Thanks guys!

I wouldn't be using it except for those rare occasions where you can't legally carry so the COM sounds perfect! The price is right too!

Frank

superior skills."

VIP Member
    Frank, the folks at COM do a fast turn around as well. I was shocked by how fast my order was delivered. I ordered online late on a Thursday afternoon and received the shipment either Monday or Tuesday of the next week. They do not let grass grow under their feet.
    George

I use the COM and the DAC Sport Safe. It is great because you buy an extra floor plate for each car you have and the COM to put your pistol in and carry it to the trunk. There is no safer way. If you just use the COM alone the cable is too easy to cut. I use mine daily. Also swap it to my motorhome when camping.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

VIP Member
    Okay okay you sold me!

Thanks again everyone. I just placed my order for a large COM.

I'll be sure to post an update when I get it installed and maybe even some pics!

Frank

superior skills."

Thumper - I have the GunVault G1000 and you can not go wrong with them. I highly recommend them... for Night Stands as well...

Nothing like unlocking a safe without having to look at it or see it...

Bolt it down... (or not)

Enter combo...

It's OPEN!!!
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Certified Flight Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

I bought two of these, the large size keyed alike...a bit less cost than the other similar products I've seen on the market: http://aacfi.com/products/secureit.shtml

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC
    I bought two of these, the large size keyed alike...a bit less cost than the other similar products I've seen on the market: http://aacfi.com/products/secureit.shtml
    Boy, that looks almost exactly like the one I ordered and about the same price too.

I'll prolly kick myself later for not getting two keyed alike though.

superior skills."

VIP Member

Installed!

Here's a follow-up:

This is a picture of the safe open with my P-226 sitting on the jump seat behind the driver's seat. I can also place it on the center console to put my SIG in and reach around and slip it under the driver's seat out of sight! I was going to use the passenger's seat but there's a release bar in the way.

superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper
    Boy, that looks almost exactly like the one I ordered and about the same price too.

I'll prolly kick myself later for not getting two keyed alike though.
    They are the Same. SecureIt's are also sold in stores here in MN. I'd still go with COM because of the service. I need to get a second one keyed alike but COM said they could handle that if I had the older type (Gorilla on the key). I'd also bet you could buy the lock blanks from them keyed alike and install them yourself.

These are more secure than a locking center console (non-hardened... COM also sells Console safes for specific vehicles) but they are not fool proom. For me, it's a bit of a good faith effort. No random smash and grab or kiddie playing in the car is going to happen across the gun. Someone specifically targeting it will win but otherwise it's pretty good.

I guess I'm lucky in that I have a space already available in my vehicle. It has an overhead storage area that locks, and my guns fit perfectly in it. I particularly like it because it's within easy reach, yet is out of the way. While it wasn't designed for guns, it works as good as anything else I've found and required me to do nothing to the automobile. Add to that my vehicle has a keyless alarm and is equipped with LOJACK. I feel my weapons are pretty darn secure when I'm not with them.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by rachilders; July 28th, 2006 at 02:58 PM.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links