Worn Leather Holsters Can Cause Accidental Discharges

This is a discussion on Worn Leather Holsters Can Cause Accidental Discharges within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I copied the title of this thread from the forum where I found it. IMO this is not an AD but rather a ND. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Worn Leather Holsters Can Cause Accidental Discharges

Worn Leather Holsters Can Cause Accidental Discharges

I copied the title of this thread from the forum where I found it. IMO this is not an AD but rather a ND. The guy knew his holster was in horrible condition and he should not be using it. I would say this is complete neglect on his part. I am glad he came forward so his mistake might make others realize the importance of good quality holsters, regularly inspecting them and knowing when its time to get a new holster. Here is his story and I'll post 2 links below it with different pictures of what happened. What do y'all think?

His story...

"My wife and I had just finished breakfast at our favorite cafe‚ and got into the car.

Me being the passenger, I rotated my torso to the left to fasten my seatbelt like I always do. When I straightened again, my Glock 19 discharged, blowing a 9mm hole through my pants, underwear, the leather seat and bottom of the car's door frame.

The bullet nicked my hip, but the wound is nothing a bandage couldn't cover.

The trusty, comfortable, leather holster I had been using for a year and two weeks had done what a baseball glove does after lots of use; it got soft. This particular holster carries the pistol outside the waistband, but inside the belt. The belt slides through slots in the outer side of the holster.

The problem stemmed from the leather on the inner side of the holster getting soft. A crease formed, which eventually was large enough to extend beyond the trigger. Manipulate the gun in just the wrong manner and this crease is no different from a finger on the trigger. Boom!

I can't say I didn't know the crease had been formed in the holster. I trained myself to be sure that when holstering, to make sure the gun was fully in the holster, with the trigger protected. On this day, did I forget to do that when I holstered up? Did the leather finally get so soft that a combination of body movements and interference by the cushy leather seat move the Glock enough to create a situation where the trigger was engaged by the holster?

I don't think we'll ever know for sure, but I'll humbly admit to the former as the likely culprit. However, if it was the latter, then those of you who use this type of holster need to be aware of its limitations and the possibility of experiencing what I did.

It might have been a very different story had the incident happened while we were dining. That bullet ricocheting off the concrete floor could have done untold damage and just as easily killed somebody. Fortunately, nobody got hurt and damage to the car was minimal. It will be an interesting conversation with the insurance company to see if they'll cover the repairs."

Pictures of holster....
    Holster Safety Warning - TF&G Forums

Pictures of holster, hip, pants and car....
    SAFETY WARNING! Worn Leather Holsters Can Cause Accidental Discharges!
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

2. Remove Ads

I think that holster should have been retired a long time ago. Was not an accident, was negligent. He's lucky he did not hurt or kill someone and got away very easy as it took place this time. He needs to invest in a good stiff holster that will stay that way. I don't know how to put the little trademark thing in on my computer so I will state that the following is a TRADEMARK and ask Rocky at Pure Kustom's forgiveness and then say he should get some "Cowdex" from Pure Kustom.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Thanks for posting, graphic reminder to check and insure ALL equipment is safe and workable.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Good reminder. Doesn't look like too good of a design for a holster anyhow. The Leather does not go far enough "past" the trigger in the first place to "cover" it and make sure it doesn't get inside the trigger guard. More leather would have possibly prevented this. I agree, the holster should have been replaced long ago. Preferably with one of a "better" design.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I find it strange that the holster could have become that soft in that short a time frame. I have to wonder if he either oiled it up to the point of softening it, or it was new to him, but out of a second hand holster bin at a gunshop.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell
    http://www.jrcholsters.com

There's actually another thread of this already over yonder:

Galco JAK202 Slide Belt Holster shoots it's owner

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

Distinguished Member
    I'd also chalk this one up to poor holster design first and foremost. There should be much more leather covering the trigger area.

While the owner definitely should not have been using the holster in that condition, a safe design would've prevented the possibility in the first place.

VIP Member
    I've heard of this happening also, and I think there is a design flaw, and Glock ain't talking about it.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

It isnt the guns fault! The trigger got pulled, it did its job, BOOM!

POS holster and holster design-PERIOD.

Glad he is ok, could have been a lot worse...

It certainly isn't the gun's fault. However, when carrying a pistol like a Glock, one needs to be extra careful of how it is holstered. This is why I always worry about things like the "Clipdraw" that don't properly protect the trigger.

With my glocks I always use Kydex or hybrid holsters and am always very very slow and very very deliberate in the holstering process to ensure no foreign objects find their way into the trigger guard.

Given the choice, I would not mind the option for a 1911 style frame mounted safety lever on my Glock. I had an M&P with the option and it didn't slow me down at all and I liked the extra piece of mind of knowing that a stupid mistake would not necessarily cause an ND. That would require two stupid mistakes. :)

No replacement for common sense, but we're human and this is one reason I'm glad I chose my XDM over a Glock.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I think that holster should have been retired a long time ago.
    If he's like many of the LEOs I know he probably expected to be issued a new one at no cost to himself.

That holster looks WAY older than a year and two weeks. If it aged that fast in 54 weeks, then I think I wouldn't by from that manufacturer again. And if he knew this holster was doing this and continued to carry in it, then shame on him and he needs some remedial training.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

My Don Hume JIT slide is a lot like this. See Pic and it is in no way the holsters fault. The owner should have replaced the holster long ago. Properly maintained, the holster is plenty safe.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    My Don Hume JIT slide is a lot like this. See Pic and it is in no way the holsters fault. The owner should have replaced the holster long ago. Properly maintained, the holster is plenty safe.
    Actually the style of holster here is different, it goes between the belt and pants rather than like yours as a traditional IWB rig. I would say that additional flex caused by constant collapse of the holster over the year of wear could have caused some of the trouble too I figure. But yep it's a different style than yours.

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links