Need 1911 Holster Suggestion

This is a discussion on Need 1911 Holster Suggestion within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up a S&W 1911 (sku#108284) last fall. It is a Government model, and after a couple range sessions I know I need to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Need 1911 Holster Suggestion

I picked up a S&W 1911 (sku#108284) last fall. It is a Government model, and after a couple range sessions I know I need to get a holster for it, to make it more convenient at the range. I know I would like a reinforce mouth to make it easier for repeated presenting and holstering at range, and without a thumbsnap. To see about comfort for IWB, I have tried carrying around house strong-side without any holster, and didn't find it uncomfortable--not sure if it would be the same with a holster. Was thinking if I did get IWB, I might conceal carry more often, as my double-stack 9mm is just too uncomfortable IWB given grip size. Any thought suggestions, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

There are a lot of very good holsters available for a 1911. A good gun belt to go with the holster is just as important as the holster itself. I personally use a Galco belt with a Galco Avenger OWB holster most of the time for concealed carry when the weather is such that I have on a jacket, sweatshirt, or button up shirt unbottoned and untucked. I use a Galco Summer Comfort IWB hoster with the same belt in warmer weather when wearing T-shirts untucked. I also have a Wilderness 5 stitch Instructor belt I wear frequently with cargo type pants with either of the above holsters. I also have a Blackhawk SERPA holster I use occasionally at the range when concealment isn't an issue. I'm sure you'll get many suggestions from others here on the forum. There are lots of good choices available at a wide range of prices. But remember the belt is just or more important as the holster.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Cool

I picked up one of these for my Hi-Power . Old school design has been around for a while. Good value for less than $50.

Bianchi 100 Professional Inside the Waistband Holster Right Hand Browning Hi-Power, 1911 Government Leather Tan - MidwayUSA

P01094610.jpg
    Click photo to enlarge
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

If you don't mind a kydex and leather mix, then the Comp-Tac MTac holster is very comfortable. I like their holsters because you can by Kydex bodies for other style guns w/out having to buy a whole new holster.
    I must have more 1911's. Someone donate me a Springfield EMP.

Administrator
    Try a Milt Sparks OWB.
    You need to go to the Sparks website & follow their ordering instructions to the letter if you hope to get in an order for one though.
    brylow likes this.

For inside the pants (I carry full size glock 22 inside my pants for 10 years) ... I use TecLok and it's been a great holster .. it's polycarbonate ... the main thing about leather is it absorbes and holds your sweat which will cause rust on your frame very fast.

What ever you choose, practice your draw with an empty gun and a timer ... if you have lasers let them help you get the angle for the hip pointing, mid-point shooting, and extended point shooting .... then barny fife yourself ( 1 live round) until you are hitting the target consistantly, then go with 2 rounds .. and so forth.

Here at HGR we use SIRT pistols for point shooting and trigger control training ... it's a reg laser for the trigger movement, and a green laser for the trigger break point ... works well.

Best wishes from HGR Firearms Instruction
    Train Hard, Fight Smart, Because In Self Defense, There Is NO 2nd Place Winner

Greg Knox
    HGR Firearms Instruction

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I carried a commander size 1911 in a crossbreed and it just sunk right in and concealed very well and most important to me was it was very comfortable.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

I own 4 Pure Kustom Holsters. Give Rocky a call.

Administrator
    Yep, Pure Kustom makes a fine holster.
    RemMod597 likes this.

look at rick waltner holsters...
    Obama used "hope" and "change" to win the presidency.... Benjamin Franklin wrote in Poor Richard's Almanac, "He that lives upon Hope will die fasting." On change, John Adams wrote, "A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."

VIP Member
    Pure Kustom. Comfortable, highly concealable, worth the $$$.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

The right holster makes all the difference for IWB carry.

If you have the time to wait and the coin, Brommeland MaxCon V. It's the right holster and in my opinion the best IWB!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

It's hard to beat a Milt Sparks Summer Special II as a great IWB holster. It's a classic and works very well in conjunction with a purposely built gun belt. Nice thing about the SSII is the resale value stays high, so if it happens not to work...............you can always sell it and not lose any money. Brownell's usually has them in stock. Good luck.

Her mine is with a 4" Springfield Champion on a A&G Custom Gun Leather belt.

GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    It's hard to beat a Milt Sparks Summer Special II as a great IWB holster. It's a classic and works very well in conjunction with a purposely built gun belt. Nice thing about the SSII is the resale value stays high, so if it happens not to work...............you can always sell it and not lose any money. Brownell's usually has them in stock. Good luck.

Her mine is with a 4" Springfield Champion on a A&G Custom Gun Leather belt.

Nice towels.
    brylow and jonesy_26 like this.

Appreciate all the suggestions, have been looking through the different vendors mentioned. On the Milt Sparks Summer Special II does it have areinforced mouth, and is the cant comfortable while moving and sitting?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links