Does a dual-clip holster hold the grip closer to the body?

This is a discussion on Does a dual-clip holster hold the grip closer to the body? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those with experience with both single clip and dual clip designs, do you feel that the dual clip designs hold the grip of the ...

Thread: Does a dual-clip holster hold the grip closer to the body?

Does a dual-clip holster hold the grip closer to the body?

For those with experience with both single clip and dual clip designs, do you feel that the dual clip designs hold the grip of the gun closer to your body versus a single clip? The reason I ask is that I received my High Noon Alter Ego today for my new M&P compact, and the grip sticks out more than I would care for. This isn't a comfort issue, just a concealment one. For the record: I'm using a Beltman belt, so I doubt that is the problem.
    Current armament:
    Ruger 10/22
    Remington 870 Express 20ga.
    S&W M&P40c
    S&W 642

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    I find that it does as the rear clip or loop (i prefer loops) will pull the but of the gun a little more inward toward the body. This will vary from person to person, gun to gun and holster to holster. That being said I would say that a majority of the time a dual mounting point holster will conceal better for a larger firearm.

What posistion are you wearing the holster in ? The more to the side or 3 O'Clock you wear it to the more the grip will extend out. As JD said two loops or clips will hold the holster a bit tighter. I use the High Noon Public Secret with 1 clip for my G-19/23 in appendix posistion and use a Beltman or Cross Breed belt and it holds nice and snug.

photo.jpg

Click on photo to enlarge
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I use the Comptac Minotaur IWB and the dual clips hold the butt closer to the body than single clip holsters. From the three thirty to four thirty position the pistol clings to your side tightly.

It really depends on your build. While dual clips do help in tucking the butt of the gun in a little better, on people with smaller waistlines, it may actually end up taking too much real estate. That is why I prefer single loops on IWB holsters.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    I have a SuperTuck (two clips) and a Quickclip (single clip, both Crossbreed holsters). The only difference I notice is that the SuperTuck distributes the weight better with the larger XDm when compared carrying the XDm in the Quickclip. The 9sc works the same in both.
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for the replies, guys. I've only ever used single-clip holsters, hence the question. If I position the rig closer to 4:30-5 I don't have an issue, but I was trying to get it closer to 3 so I didn't need to reach as far to draw. Sounds like the difference isn't that great, so I'll stick with my Alter Ego. It's fantastic, by the way.
    Current armament:
    Ruger 10/22
    Remington 870 Express 20ga.
    S&W M&P40c
    S&W 642

Dleavitt,
    In my experience, a dual clip holster does hold the gun closer to the body, but that may not be a really significant. I've got dual clip holsters from Little Bear (Springfield XD 40) and Woolfe Gunleather (1911 Commander) as well as a single clip (Kel-Tec PF9) from Ryan Grizzle Leather. The single clip holster has the clip located over the body of the gun, not offset from the body of the gun. Although the gun is smaller, my single clip holster is actually thicker than my dual clips; having the clip located over the body of the gun seems to add to the overall thickness of the holster. For my next holster (1911 Officer's), I'm probably going to try a single clip holster w/ the clip offset from the body of the gun. I sure like the convenience of the single clip holster. I'm hoping an offset single clip will still hold the gun close enough to the body and be thinner than an inline single clip.

What I've found about the dual clips is that it keeps the gun from canting. It provides a more stable platform to eliminate that "pivot point" that a single mounting clip allows. Depending on the holster make and model, it may also make it ride in a little tighter to your side, or at least you can tighten your belt around it a little more effectively.

Check out the KHolster Crescent Moon. I'm kind of interested in it for the stability of the design, but haven't seen one I person yet...

Links