Help a new IWB carrier...

This is a discussion on Help a new IWB carrier... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've decided to make the change from owb to iwb to improve concealment. I'm carrying a glock 23, and have both a comp-tac minotaur & ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By WoodLark
  • 1 Post By GhostRed7

Thread: Help a new IWB carrier...

I've decided to make the change from owb to iwb to improve concealment. I'm carrying a glock 23, and have both a comp-tac minotaur & a galco summer comfort on the way.....I'm also using an instructors belt (just to be detailed with my description) Any tips or tricks I should know about before attempting this switch? Is there a particular type of clothing that lends itself to owb carry? I live in Texas, so I don't wanna wear too many layers.....any advice appreciated!

I find that in the hot weather, a t-shirt over a "wifebeater" (aka tanktop, aka undershirt) works well. I don't like having a gun or holster against my bare skin, but this combo provides the protection I want without being overly hot. Dark t-shirts work better than light (I mostly use the "longtail T's" from Duluth Trading). You MAY need to consider buying a size larger than normal if you usually wear your t-shirts tight.
    mitchellh likes this.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

If you were concealing already w/ OWB successfuly (or with little printing), you probably won't need to change wardrobe or anything. The Minotaur will hold your weapon close to your body...ultimately depends on where you're going to be carrying. I'm a fat dude and for me, the best (so far) is AIWB carrying. Else if printing conerns are there, go up a size in the shirt. I personally am that way anyway...part of it is self-consciousness about my size, the other is the added concealment. I carry a .45 (Sig P220 Carry) and when AIWB, even WITH my fat rolls pushing against it...even in a very thing golf shirt or t-shirt, it's practically invisible. I'm still looking for the "sweet spot" for 3:30-4 carry. Part of that is my personal holster. With your Minotaur, you'll be pretty much good to go I'd think.
    brylow likes this.
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

The summer comfort will likely be your go to in the summer months. If the comp-tac is anywhere near as good as my Galco King Tuck then it will have enough adjustibility to conceal under any clothes (within reason, tough to conceal in a banana hammock ).

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I say the same as Woodlark. Under shirt and if your clothes is tight buy one size bigger.

The Duluth site was a good find....Should help accomodate concealment....THANKS

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    The summer comfort will likely be your go to in the summer months. If the comp-tac is anywhere near as good as my Galco King Tuck then it will have enough adjustibility to conceal under any clothes (within reason, tough to conceal in a banana hammock ).
    Anyone wearing a bannana hammock is clearly not concerned with concealment! Haha

To tuck or not to tuck, that is the question. If you are not tucking your shirt over your gun, any shirt that worked OWB will obviously work IWB. The only issue will be pants size to accommodate you and the gun and holster.

If you intend to rely on the tuck-able feature of your Minotaur for concealment, that's a whole different thing. If that is your goal, hopefully others with more experience than I will chime in.

I do use just a shirt tucked over my gun in a Minotaur MTAC for concealment but do not yet, at least, have the confidence to do it all the time in every situation. Sometimes, the gun prints conspicuously. In the worst case, after getting out of a vehicle or bending and straightening, the covering shirt can get caught between the pistol grip and my body. Even when that happens, most people don't notice but that is not a risk worth taking in some situations.

Switching to IWB carry, especially if going the tuck-able route for concealment, will be a new adventure!
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

Cool

I carry a G-23 IWB in a High Noon Public Secret holster in the appendix posistion and it works quite well. I always use a quality double layer belt and wear a t-shirt to absorb the sweat.
    photo.jpgphoto.jpg

Click photo to enlarge.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I can tell you on my King Tuck, tucking the shirt in over the gun actually improves concealment. The back edge of the shirt will "blouse" a little bit and that will help hide any printing when you bend over (at lease it does for me). The only thing I will say about the tuck is you need to practice drawing from that style of dress. It takes some getting used to in order to get to your weapon quickly.

Thanks old school , the pic helped alot.....Looks like im headed out to buy some wife beaters! (Shirts.....not Ike Turner albums)

Sponsored Links