Galco catalog says not to carry loaded?

This is a discussion on Galco catalog says not to carry loaded? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was reading my Galco catalog (came with my King Tuck) and it says that certain holsters for the 1911 are intended for the gun ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Guantes

Thread: Galco catalog says not to carry loaded?

I was reading my Galco catalog (came with my King Tuck) and it says that certain holsters for the 1911 are intended for the gun to be holstered without one in the pipe. It also says that "certain guns" are also made to be carried in their holsters without a round chambered. Is this just so they can claim they warned us in case someone shoots their leg off? I carry my S&W SD40 loaded with one in the pipe in my King Tuck, am I in danger?

Should you have an accident with one in the pipe, you would not be able to sue them, as long as they advised you not to do that. I'd not carry a gun, or use a holster that said I couldn't keep one in the pipe. An unloaded gun is an unloaded gun!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Thank the lawyers and the bean counters.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

The owner's manuals for a lot of guns say to not carry them while loaded too. For reasons Guantes pointed out.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Lead Moderator
    Maybe Galco knows they have a problem!!

Galco JAK202 Slide Belt Holster shoots it's owner
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

The only time this becomes a problem is if that holster is a thumb break style holster designed for say hammer down carry on a 1911. I understand the legal idea of not being able to be sued, on the other hand these days I would suggest that little disclaimer probably doesn't hold allot of weight in court. That said I'm not an attorney so I have no idea, but holsters in general I'm of the opinion that they need to be designed to do what you want to do with them.

In this particular case with the KingTuck I would say it's a bit of cover the butt, type of deal.

Take care!

Luke

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Maybe Galco knows they have a problem!!

Galco JAK202 Slide Belt Holster shoots it's owner
    Yea, I saw that and paid close attention because I have a Don Hume JIT slide that looks identical. Seems that particular holster was due for replacement long before the guy had the problem. I don't think we can blame Galco for that one.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I don't think we can blame Galco for that one.
    I have to agree, I hope the owner did something "stupid", like oiled the holster, since I've never had a "good" holster get that soft on me. There was a thread, must have been on forum that included pictures.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I was reading my Galco catalog (came with my King Tuck) and it says that certain holsters for the 1911 are intended for the gun to be holstered without one in the pipe. It also says that "certain guns" are also made to be carried in their holsters without a round chambered. Is this just so they can claim they warned us in case someone shoots their leg off? I carry my S&W SD40 loaded with one in the pipe in my King Tuck, am I in danger?
    Nope, you couldn't recreate that since the kydex stays open, plus the fact that if you don't carry loaded you might as well carry throwing rocks in place of your gun :) How do you like the SD40? Haven't heard any reviews? How the trigger. I've got a Sigma, and M&P but never tried out a SD since they came out.

IIRC Galco had some legal troubles with their holster for the FFDO (armed airline pilots) program. Their holster had a padlock hole in it so the gun could be locked in the holster. Padlock in triggerguard = predictable results. They got sued over that one big time. Pilots called it the "self discharging holster". I'm not surprised the lawyers are running the show.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Yea, I saw that and paid close attention because I have a Don Hume JIT slide that looks identical. Seems that particular holster was due for replacement long before the guy had the problem. I don't think we can blame Galco for that one.
    I've been using my JIT for a couple years at least and I don't think it could do this, but I will keep an eye on it!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by Snatale42 View Post
    Nope, you couldn't recreate that since the kydex stays open, plus the fact that if you don't carry loaded you might as well carry throwing rocks in place of your gun :) How do you like the SD40? Haven't heard any reviews? How the trigger. I've got a Sigma, and M&P but never tried out a SD since they came out.
    The SD is a great gun! My reasoning for saying it is that the gun is simple, easy to care for, and feels good in the hand (better than the Sigma IMO). The trigger is still long and has about an 8lb pull, but the gun shoots better than I do. I have run about 500 rounds through it thus far (wal mart winchesters, federal, and PNC) without a hint of failure. The trijicon night sight on the front is really nice and glows green even in pitch black conditions. I also like the picatinny rail should I choose to mount a light or something. It also fits all the holsters for the M&P so that is nice as well. Capacity is 14+1 which for a .40 is more than most, and recoil is manageable.

My only dislike so far is that Crimson Trace doesn't make a grip for it and the magazine rattles when in the gun. Short of that, she is a shooter and good for my purposes, just large enough to be substantial in the event of a fight, but small enough (just barely) to easily conceal.

Hope that helps, I'd highly recommend loosing the Sigma and getting one of the SD's.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Thank the lawyers and the bean counters.
    I disagree. We should thank the greedy and irresponsible morons that HIRE the lawyers when they do something stupid.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    IIRC Galco had some legal troubles with their holster for the FFDO (armed airline pilots) program. Their holster had a padlock hole in it so the gun could be locked in the holster. Padlock in triggerguard = predictable results. They got sued over that one big time. Pilots called it the "self discharging holster". I'm not surprised the lawyers are running the show.
    And the sad part of that situtation is that the TSA mandated the padlock "feature". Galco gets sued because of TSA's stupidity.

Sponsored Links