IWB Advice

IWB Advice

This is a discussion on IWB Advice within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently lost twenty pounds, but still have a gut. Was contemplating getting IWB for summer to carry Para Ord CCW (commander size) weapon. Haven't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: IWB Advice

Question IWB Advice

I recently lost twenty pounds, but still have a gut. Was contemplating getting IWB for summer to carry Para Ord CCW (commander size) weapon. Haven't carried in twenty years. Last carried in a Bianchi Pistol Pocket and Kramer IWB. I am considering Kydex for thinner holster. Need thoughts on brand and question of Kydex versus leather

Why not look at hybrids?

They have a kydex shell with a leather backing. You get the comfort of leather (no kydex against the skin) and you get the ease of re-holstering without the bulk of a reinforced holster mouth.

Click through the banners at the top of the page. Kholster is the least expensive IIRC.
    brylow likes this.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

+1 on the hybrid holster.

I have a gut myself (6'2-275ish) and carry a G26 iwb in a Shielded Holster which is similar but less adjustable than a Kholster, both are somewhat like a Crossbreed only less expensive. It took me a while to get it adjusted right and figure out where the most comfortable position for it is but once I got it figured out it is very comfortable to wear all day, also I can go out wearing a T shirt untucked and jeans and it conceals my gun very well.
    brylow likes this.

My suggestion would be a hybrid as well, particularly a MTAC. More comfy than kydex.
    They are fully adjustable for ride height and cant, therefore can see what position works best for you.
    In addition, can be attained in quick time period.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

+3 on the hybrid suggestion.

While I haven't dealt with some of the holster manufactures that support this forum (will be doing that in good order), do have considerable experience with both the Comp-Tac and Crossbreed offerings.

I find the Comp-Tac more comfortable and easier to put on if you wear a t-shirt between the holster and your skin. The Crossbreed is more comfortable worn directly against the skin. The difference is very slight.

Hybrid is the only way to go I have a crossbreed supertuck deluxe and love the comfort level
    NRA Member
    Glock 23

There's a ton of holsters to look at in here... HOLSTERS
    I would recommend the Fist #1A in leather...leather is much more comfortable.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

+4 on hybrid... being rail thin myself, kydex works good, but I have heard a lot of other people say that the hybrids are excellent if you have a little weight. Comp Tac Minotaur or Crossbreed
    brylow likes this.

MTAC would be first followed by Crossbreed for IWB. Comp-tac gladiator for OWB.

My personal preference is leather. That being said I have used the MTAC and the Crossbreed and IMO the crossbreed is at the top of the pile with the advantage for it's against the skin comfort.

I now lean to a more minimalistic approach to holsters and since I carry a PM9 now I don't need that much holster. I use a Mitch Rosen CLP.
    brylow likes this.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Pure Kustoms Black Ops (IWB AND OWB), Milt Sparks VM II or SS II. Great retention on all and they are more comfortable than kydex IMO.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member
    Depends on what you want to spend. On a budget go with a Kholster hybrid. Got a bit more to spend, get a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro. The Kholster is very adjustable, comfortable and generally less expensive than other hybrids. The Black Ops Pro is the Cadillac in terms of quality, performance and comfort.

Both are site sponsors so you can get to their sites from the icons at the top o this page.
    brylow likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
    My suggestion would be a hybrid as well, particularly a MTAC. More comfy than kydex.
    They are fully adjustable for ride height and cant, therefore can see what position works best for you.
    In addition, can be attained in quick time period.
    This. They have a 2 day turn-around right now. I have an M-Tac (hybrid) and a C-Tac (all kydex). While the C-Tac isn't bad, the M-Tac is definately better, especially in the humid Alabama summers. I wear it directly against the skin with no problems.
    brylow likes this.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

I too like the MTAC, great turn around time and their CS is top notch!

However, when it comes to cradling a beloved 1911,.....Brommeland MaxConV! Best IWB holster I've ever owned.

Yes a bit more $$ and a wait time as well, but,....like I said,... best I've ever owned.

Get the MTAC and if it does you well for the summer and you get the itch for a good leather holster,...well,... you know.

Good luck!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

chiming in here for CrossbreedSuper Tucks. Best IWB holster I have ever owned. Of course I have only owned a few.
    EDC: FN FNP-9 w/ three 16 rnd magazines. Mini Maglite.

" The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible." ~ Machiavelli.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links