Deep cover concealment options

This is a discussion on Deep cover concealment options within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work in a variety of locations and need to wear business casual to work. I want to have a deep concealment method to avoid ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Deep cover concealment options

I work in a variety of locations and need to wear business casual to work. I want to have a deep concealment method to avoid any possibility of being 'made'. I'm not concerned about caliber (I have from 9mm to a Keltec .32). I will sometimes pocket carry, but this isn't really hidden enough for me. I wanted to avoid Smartcarry since I work out at the gym before I go to work and I'm not sure how to get it on in the gym. What options would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Unless I'm missing something, any form of carry is going to be an issue at the gym if you have to change clothes. Just take your bag into a stall and put your rig on--whatever it is.

The other choices are going to be tuckable IWB (unless 'casual' means untucked shirts), belly band, shoulder rig, or ankle. The benefits and hazards have been talked into the ground all over the net, so you're at the point of decision based on figuring out what might work for YOU.

For whatever it's worth: I've gone through a long thought process trying to find what will work best for me. I''m currently working with a 3" .45/1911 and trying out a Null SMZ under a tucked shirt. It works surprisingly well under the right shirts, but I think I'm going to try a through-the-front crossdraw setup. These are methods which won't meet with universal approval, and there are valid concerns and cautions about them. But concealment is an art of compromise and in the end one has to make one's own judgment about what's acceptable and what isn't.

For my build the strong-side tuckable IWB 1-3:00 doesn't seem likely to conceal well enough, and I spend enough time in a car that I'm not keen on an untucking draw (in any case I'd expect to have to do a lot of practice to make the draw reliable--there's a persuasive video on youtube about this though). But I'm still considering these as possibles.

One thing I've noticed about people figuring this issue out--you have to get real about how good your judgment is about concealment. Some people who have a lot of visual training will actually be too sensitive to small asymmetries and bulges that most people won't notice. Other people are blind as bats and just don't do their homework for things like printing straps or getting feedback on the view from different angles in different lighting, and they walk out the door and get made right away.
    Last edited by Serafino; April 3rd, 2011 at 02:54 AM.
    bigdog44 likes this.

I'll keep the gun in the car until I'm done working out

Ah the gentle art of reholstering in a car. I haven't seen much discussion of that, I look forward to hearing about it myself.

FWIW I can reholster easily seated with the Null SMZ.

I am looking at Pistol Wear - they have one that looks like it would work extremely well for dress casual. If anyone has reviews on Pistol Wear I would love to see them.

Link to a Pistol Wear review on this forum: Holster review for runners, bikers, and hikers and other active folks

...and others can be found via Google.
    Last edited by Serafino; April 2nd, 2011 at 10:15 PM.

Like it was said above, Get dressed in the locker room, hit the stall belt up and leave (I use SmartCarry).

If you're gonna keep your gun in the car while working out, I suggest the cell pal from concealed comfort. I use it exclusively. And, yes, I do alot of bending, squatting ,twisting, etc. at work. It is deep concealed at its best. You won't be made unless they pat your thigh, and then they'll just feel flat leather, not the gun. With practice, the cross draw is pretty fast. Remember, we're talking "DEEP CONCEAL", which the OP wanted.

I have a Bushwacker deep conceal holster.

BUSHWACKER HOLSTERS - Concealed Handgun Carry, Inc.

It works very well. I carry a full size Beretta PX4 Storm in 9mm in it easily.

For deep concealment I use the Deep Concealment Shoulder Holster. Perfect for business attire without having to wear a sport coat or suit coat. If you make a faux button, by removing a button and sewing it permanently over the button hole and then placing velcro dot behind the button and secured where the button used to be attached, you have an easy way to access your weapon through your button-up shirt.

I've worn this so much I wore one out and am now working on my second one. Easily adjustable while wearing it, it provides all day comfort for any size gun from small to large. The shoulder straps helps distribute the weight across your back and the rig is very comfortable. I've worn my 18-20 hours with a G-23 and barely notice it's there.

Another rig which looks promising and is on my short list for acquiring is the SpecGear TRUSS Holster.

Be sure to check out the video's on the web page.

Cross Draw Version
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Bark'n when you draw from that holster are you able to get a full grip on the gun before you pull it or do you have to shift it at some point between drawing and getting on target?

I can get a full grip on it. I wear it with the gun butt slightly forward from being directly under my armpit.

Check out the videos on that SpecGear TRUSS holster to see the kind of speed you can get. Now they are wearing cowboy type shirts with snaps instead of buttons, in the demo but you can get the idea. I'm really leaning on getting one of the TRUSS holsters the next time I replace my Deep Concealment Shoulder Holster. I like the fact that you can get one to carry strong side instead of cross draw only. Plus they have more pouches to carry extra gear like OC spray, a collapsible baton, handcuffs or whatever. The Deep Concealment like the one I have only has a pocket to carry a spare magazine or folding knife.

Also think about the types of scenarios which may play out in the office setting. Chances are more likely you won't be having to try and outdraw the bad guy in a High Noon type showdown. Office shootings, unless you are one of the unlucky ones to be the first shot, usually allows a person to position themself for a more controlled, if not surreptitious draw from a position of higher advantage.

We have a member here who is a Federal LEO and wears a similar type rig almost exclusively when he is in business clothes. He even posted a video of all the stuff he conceals to include a collapsible baton, handcuffs, tactical knife, OC spray and spare mags. He can draw from concealment and hit two 8 inch steel plates at 7 yards in something like 2.3 seconds or a little faster. It's all about the commitment to practicing your craft with the tools you use.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I think that carrying a small .380 or .32 pocket pistol is extremely easy to conceal in business attire. I carry a S&W 442 in a pocket holster for work and I have yet to be made. The only person that knows that I pocket carry my snubbie is my wife and she still can't tell which day I am pocket carrying or not. You just need to choose your work pants carefully when buying them or have them altered by a tailor if necessary to make the pockets deeper and buy a good pocket holster that hides the outline of the gun. With a .32 or .380 you could even get one of those wallet holsters for the back pocket.

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Bark'n, that Truss system looks interesting. Ive watched the video, I ware Tee shirts manly, how do you think that would work. It looks to me, that if It sat a bit lower on the body it would be the ideal way to carry all the time. Your thoughts?
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Bark'n, that Truss system looks interesting. Ive watched the video, I ware Tee shirts manly, how do you think that would work. It looks to me, that if It sat a bit lower on the body it would be the ideal way to carry all the time. Your thoughts?
    The TRUSS does appear to sit lower on the torso than the Deep Concealment Shoulder Holster that I have used for years. I also kind of like that, although when I do get one I'll probably still use both types.

I have worn the Deep Concealment Shoulder Holster a lot with untucked loose fitting Tee Shirts and untucked Polo shirts and it conceals well. However, you have to pull your shirt up and reach from underneath in order to make the draw, which will slow your draw. However, with lots of practice, you don't lose that much speed, but you'll likely need both hands for that type of draw. You have to understand what you are looking for with it is deep concealment design and it's not necessarily going to be speed.

With a face to face sudden encounter, at contact distance, you would likely have to employ some hand to hand and counter assault techniques before you could be afforded the opportunity to make a clean draw. However, in an office setting and a wide variety of other types of situations, where you can and have the opportunity to draw and get ready to meet the threat, or before you move to engage the threat there would be no problem with drawing from underneath your Tee Shirt and/or Polo type shirt.

It is definitely a specialty type holster for use in various applications where a traditional type holster worn on your belt is not appropriate or won't work for your concealment needs.

Also, if you are in the habit of carrying a BUG like I am, it is an excellent and comfortable way to carry a BUG. Even a BUG of substantial or full size while you carry your primary in a more traditional holster on your hip.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links