A&G Custom Gun Leather Belts--Bull hide vs. Horse hide?

A&G Custom Gun Leather Belts--Bull hide vs. Horse hide?

This is a discussion on A&G Custom Gun Leather Belts--Bull hide vs. Horse hide? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have experience with both A&G's bull hide belts and horse hide belts? (Or a comparison from a comperable maker.) I'm not worried about ...

Question A&G Custom Gun Leather Belts--Bull hide vs. Horse hide?

Does anyone have experience with both A&G's bull hide belts and horse hide belts? (Or a comparison from a comperable maker.)

I'm not worried about the price difference, but I tend to be a little impatient, and am curious if the difference is worth the wait. The bull hide is available in their quick ship section, but the horse hide is listed in the 3-4 week custom section.

Can anyone tell me if it's a noticable difference that's worth the added wait, or is it more of the "personal taste" type differences?

Thanks
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

I haven't tried the horsehide, but I have one of Al's quick ship 1 1/2" bullhide belts in black. He was great to deal with, and the belt fulfills my needs to carry a full sized steel 1911 and reloads with no problems. If you want to know how they compare, give him a call, he is a good guy to work with.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

MSteve;

Give me a call and I'll be more than happy to discuss the Pro's & Con's.

And thanks for your interest.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

Same question: What are the pro's & con's?

I will not buy anything thats made with Horse hide thats just my personal preferance, I wont get into details on that subject....

Quote Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
    I will not buy anything thats made with Horse hide thats just my personal preferance, I wont get into details on that subject....
    Why even post that? Doesn't help if you don't give any pros or cons?? JMO

Thumbs up Horse hide

Horse hide is much stiffer and stronger.It is a more dense material,making it more resistant to moisture and sweat.
    U.S. Army Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by pistola View Post
    It is a more dense material,making it more resistant to moisture and sweat.
    Any moisture/sweat is being absorbed by my shirt and underwear before it even reaches my belt, and I don't have any perceivable moisture/sweat issue near my belt.

I have a Kramer horsehide holster. It's real stiff, and I like it. If you were to try bending the horsehide, it would probably crack. I imagine cowhide to be like my boots, where heat and movement stretches the leather, but maybe that was how it was tanned.

I just received my A&G bull hide belt - my first gunbelt - and I have to say that it's pretty stiff, and very well made. I can't imagine needing the stiffer horse hide, but who knows.

Doc

Al knows his hides. Will order another this week.

Do the different hides feel or look different? Different thickness? Different weight? If you look at them side-by-side, what differences are visible?

I have a bull hide quick ship belt. I can't imagine I would want a leather belt stiffer than his one.

I recently spoke to Al about sizing. What a gentlemen. I will be ordering this month. Plan to wear with a yet to be determined leather holster for a full size 1911.

Al is a great guy and makes outstanding belts! You won't be disappointed with his workmanship.

I've spent quite a bit of time talking shop with him at his workshop, and I've gotten some supplies from Al on occasion including bullhide and horsehide to use for holsters. Both are excellent quality.

The horsehide is more dense, with a tighter grain, which makes is stiffer and makes the grain side smother and shinier. The advantage to horsehide is that you can get a stiffer belt that is usually a hair thinner than an equivalent bullhide belt. This can be an advantage if you wear a lot of dress pants with tight belt loops, or need a narrower dress belt.

It's also going to be more moisture resistant than bullhide. However, the tighter, more dense grain of horsehide makes it more difficult to tool and dye than bullhide. In my own experience, brown dyes, especially lighter ones, will usually be more even and consistent with bullhide than horse. Bullhide, because it is easier to tool, is also the better choice if you want an embossed pattern belt.

If you don't sweat much, and just need a good brown or black gun belt without waiting, call Al and order one of his quick ship belts. They're the exact same, custom quality bullhide belts, in a standard configuration, and he's got em ready to ship out!

Links