i got a high-noon SOB holster and don't like........

This is a discussion on i got a high-noon SOB holster and don't like........ within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; it. the gun fits in there nice (HK P30) but the way they made this holster seems backwards???? here it is: Back Skin to draw ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: i got a high-noon SOB holster and don't like........

it. the gun fits in there nice (HK P30) but the way they made this holster seems backwards???? here it is:
    Back Skin

to draw the gun your palm (if you're a righty) is facing your body? it seems more comfortable to me to reach back like i'm being handcuffed (never happened) and draw a weapon. so my palm would be facing away from my body.

does that make sense to anyone? which way would you rather draw a weapon from behind the back? i think this is going back, i guess i didn't realize from the pic about drawing it.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Palm in (the way your holster is) is standard. Many holster makers will not make a palm-out small of back holster, because you will sweep your torso with the muzzle while drawing.

You could try a left-handed, cross draw holster for right hand, palm out SOB carry, but I recommend not carrying that way at all.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nick060200 View Post
    it. the gun fits in there nice (HK P30) but the way they made this holster seems backwards???? here it is:
    Back Skin

to draw the gun your palm (if your a righty) is facing your body? it seems more comfortable to me to reach back like i'm being handcuffed (never happened) and draw a weapon. so my palm would be facing away from my body.

does that make sense to anyone? which way would you rather draw a weapon from behind the back? i think this is going back, i guess i didn't realize from the pic about drawing it.
    I carry SOB almost exclusively. What you want is a left hand version. This is what I do and I'm a righty. It's considered a palm- out draw. I believe Retsupt also carrys this way.

Be prepared to have many tell you all the "disadvantages" of carrying SOB. I've done it for years with guns as large as a 92F. Now mostly Sig P229 or P239. All I can tell you is it works for me.

If you don't like it contact High Noon. They will make it right, especially if you are within the 30 day window.
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

Did someone say SOB holster?
    I have several of these for different guns, and they work very well. FIST, INC.
    Notice the 'palm out' draw.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Regarding your High Noon.

Forum member redbeardsong is correct - that is exactly the way nearly all holster makers configure and design them and for the reason he stated above.

Well for safety it makes sense, but it seems more comfortable to draw with palm facing away.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

I find it more comfortable palm facing in.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Quote Originally Posted by nick060200 View Post
    Well for safety it makes sense, but it seems more comfortable to draw with palm facing away.
    Ultimately, you have to find what works for you, and what level of risk you're comfortable with. I used to carry small of back, with a strongly canted holster I made for that purpose.

SOB worked for me because it concealed easily (until I bent over) and because that's the one place my gun fit in my waistband without wearing bigger pants. One of the dangers you'll hear about on the forums is falling on your gun and causing spinal damage or paralysis. Sweeping yourself with a palm out draw is another. But I still carried there for a while , and I know several other people who do as well.
    As I carried more and tried a size larger pants, I started carrying closer to 3:30-4:00. Now I carry in the Appendix position pretty much full time. It conceals the best for me and carries comfortably. It was a little unnerving at first, with my muzzle always pointing at my femoral artery, but I always put on and remove the holster with the gun already in it, trigger covered and thumb safety on.

Carrying a gun has certain risks that come with it. Some methods of carry have different risks than others. For example, open carry offers ease of access, at the cost of concealment. Smart carry offers stealth concealment, at the cost of ease of access. Manage the risks carefully, and find what works for you. Good luck, and carry on!

GRM

No Torso Sweep

Quote Originally Posted by redbeardsong View Post
    Palm in (the way your holster is) is standard. Many holster makers will not make a palm-out small of back holster, because you will sweep your torso with the muzzle while drawing.

You could try a left-handed, cross draw holster for right hand, palm out SOB carry, but I recommend not carrying that way at all.
    I carry this way routinely. I practice draw drills and live range practice this way. I never sweep myself. The only way you would sweep yourself from palm-out is to draw the way people do palm-in --keeping the elbow up in the draw -- which is not only unnatural, and awkward, but also wrong for palm-out draw. The palm-in draw keeps the elbow high and it tends to sweep the arm out and around -- elbow high and leading. It also tends to sweep everyone right of the shooter if is he overly excited.

The natural palm-out draw lets the gun fall free from the holster so the muzzle angle immediately drops down and twists out from the draw. The natural twist uncoils the arm with the hand falling away while the elbow drops, momentum alone puts the pistol in-plane to fire and draws the muzzle up and forward -- almost on its own.

It is more like a knife draw - the muzzle line passes behind the body, down and then forward and up. Palm-in, the twist of the arm works opposite and is no help -- hence the tendency to sweep wide right.

Plus palm-out at 5 o'clock, means I can put my "hands on my hips" in a not necessarily hostile manner, pulling my suit coat back (regular wear for me) , it even looks like there is no weapon at my side with both hands still visible and yet have my hand on the butt in an immediate draw posture.

All things concerned -- this is the best of all for everyday use -- IMO.

Even if you got a left hand version in that holster, it still would not do what you want. That will only work with a straight drop no cant holster, then it can be done if you are OK with the sweep across the body. For most people under extreme pressure trying to defend yourself this may not be the route to go. But many do carry this way and practice at home under very comfortable conditions and all works well.

We sell many no cant holsters here is 2 to look at. One extreme duty, one is lite duty.

Public Secret w/clip

Mr Softy

Justin

"For most people under extreme pressure trying to defend yourself this may not be the route to go." (Quote)

This !

It is an extreamly slow way to draw as you need to reach around to your back using your strong hand to sweep your cover garmet back and complete your draw and if your assailant is up close you have opened up your entire strong side and left it defenseless and must strike cross body or completely disregard the weapon draw and go hand to hand. I never like having any weapon (gun, knife, baton ect.) past 4'oclock for right hand and 8'oclock for left hand to the rear. Hard to defend, hard to access, difficult to conceal when bending forward and yes you can get knocked on your back and get some very debilitating injuries or at best be laying your body weight on your weapon.

I carry appendix to eliminate most of the problems that come with SOB carry but then so many other styles of carry far exceed any benefits that might be had from SOB carry. Just my $.02 and that and $1.50 will get you a cup of regular coffee at Starbucks. Stay safe.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    "For most people under extreme pressure trying to defend yourself this may not be the route to go." (Quote)

This !

It is an extreamly slow way to draw as you need to reach around to your back using your strong hand to sweep your cover garmet back and complete your draw and if your assailant is up close you have opened up your entire strong side and left it defenseless and must strike cross body or completely disregard the weapon draw and go hand to hand. I never like having any weapon (gun, knife, baton ect.) past 4'oclock for right hand and 8'oclock for left hand to the rear. Hard to defend, hard to access, difficult to conceal when bending forward and yes you can get knocked on your back and get some very debilitating injuries or at best be laying your body weight on your weapon.

I carry appendix to eliminate most of the problems that come with SOB carry but then so many other styles of carry far exceed any benefits that might be had from SOB carry. Just my $.02 and that and $1.50 will get you a cup of regular coffee at Starbucks. Stay safe.
    A person can be knocked down and land on their holstered gun in any of the o'clock positions. All positions have advantages and disadvantages, find what works for you yourself.

How's that appendix position work when seated?
    mr.stuart likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Did someone say SOB holster?
    I have several of these for different guns, and they work very well. FIST, INC.
    Notice the 'palm out' draw.
    We used to call those MOB (Middle Of Back) holsters because the slide is closer to your mid-line.

The definition of SOB must have changed. The SOBs I remember were all OWB and the gun was nearly parallel to the ground. These holsters look like IWB holsters worn behind the hip. The OPs holster is along the lines I'm thinking of.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

sgb
    Many,many years ago I bought a GALCO SOB holster at a gun show. When I got home I put it on, hated it, took it off and eventually sold it. They're not my cup of tea.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links