Newbie Holster Question

This is a discussion on Newbie Holster Question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi I'm new here and was hoping to get some advice on a holster setup. I have a SW40VE and was looking at this holster ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By QKShooter

Thread: Newbie Holster Question

Newbie Holster Question

Hi
    I'm new here and was hoping to get some advice on a holster setup. I have a SW40VE and was looking at this holster for it
    Fobus Holster: S&W ENHANCED SIGMA SERIES 9/40 VE/E/G - ROTO-HOLSTERô PADDLE
    I am a bigger guy and always wear lose clothing and I am think about carrying in my small of back. It looks like this holster will do that. I am right handed and it looks like the right handed holster will have the gun in an upside down position on my back, Would this be correct?

Thanks for any advice!

2. Remove Ads

That is a right handed OUTSIDE the waist band holster. If you put it at 4-5 clock position on your wait the handle will point towards your spine.

The Fobus Roto-holsters tend to hold the pistol quite a ways out from your body which makes it hard to conceal (prints badly!).

Also, most people on this forum will tell you that small of back is a poor place to carry. The gun is in a very vulnerable location for someone to grab it, and if you fall and land on the gun, you are going to very likely do some damage to your spine.

Personally I like to carry either in the "Appendix" position (about 1:00-2:00 for right-handed people) or underneath my arm (3:00-3:30 for righties). I think the security offered by these positions is superior, as is the speed of draw.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Thanks for the replies. As being a bigger guy ( fat ) ...lol It is just the most comfortable place I seem to have found to carry. Would you have another holster suggestion?

My suggestion is to avoid the roto holsters by Fobus. I've never heard a good review of them.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Though I haven't tried one, I think a Crossbreed Supertuck would be a great place to start.

Administrator
    I would stay away from Fobus for concealment. I would also stay away from S.O.B. carry. S.O.B. carry is not without its problems.
    It is hard to sit for any length of time - hard to drive & it usually prints badly when you bend forward.

Suggestion:
    Buy a good leather OWB pancake style holster - Try to find one that houses your firearm with 15 Degree forward cant (often called an F.B.I. cant) - couple that with a good gun belt & locate the holster just behind your strong side hip.

That is an extremely comfortable way to carry.
    Jeepin76 likes this.

JD
    Administrator
    The fobus roto was my fist holster, and my last fobus and was only used for a couple of days at most, it ended up dumping my gun on the floor of a mall...

Better to just avoid Fobus in general.

Links