Thinking of making my own holster for my new G19

This is a discussion on Thinking of making my own holster for my new G19 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been toying around with the idea of making my own holster but I am not sure how to get started. I thought i'd come ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By QKShooter
  • 1 Post By oneshot

Thread: Thinking of making my own holster for my new G19

I've been toying around with the idea of making my own holster but I am not sure how to get started. I thought i'd come here as i know several members on this board make their own holsters.

What type of leather is best suited for a holster?

What type of needle and thread is best used for a holster?

Would a sewing machine be a good idea or would it be better to hand stitch the leather?

Any other advice?

Making simple things out of leather is pretty easy, but a holster can be kind of advanced, especially if it's IWB. Also, a holster needs to be made well for safety purposes. I made some simple kydexes, they came out well (see here and Minimal home-made Kydex
    and I use them all the time. Kydex is a real predictable material, it always performs the same, leather can vary a whole lot depending on what quality it is and what it is being exposed to, like grease or moisture.

Leather looks and feels nicer, though.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Making your own holster might be something fun to do if you have the time and are looking for a hobby. As with any other craft type hobby your initial expense for the right tools will far exceed the cost of buying a few quality leather holsters from the dozen or so holster makers that advertise on this forum. There are several how to articles on leather working, holster making, Kydex holster making leather and Kydex supplies, etc just search the web.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Administrator
    Buy the book

How to Make Holsters - By Al Stohlman

Search for it on Ebay. It usually sells there for about $10 bones.

The actual full size holster patterns that are included in the book are fairly outdated........BUT, there are instructions in there for making your own cutting patterns for any style of holster.

Also included is a list of materials.......how to lace. how to hand sew AKA "Saddle Stitching" and all of the construction techniques.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
    ALSO....go here. CLICK HERE

And my friend Bruce Gibson (bull rider leather maker & holster maker) sells a Holster Making DVD which (I'm Certain) will be well worth the modest asking price.

oneshot likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Don't do it,you will never again have any free time,I still make holsters for friends,but no longer sell any over the internet.I bought a sewing machine,but that's a whole nother learning curve.Saddle stitching IMHO looks much nicer,as the thread is thicker and stands out more.If you have a Tandy Leather Supply store near you thats a good place to start.Herman Oaks leather is the Best,But IIRC you have to buy a minimum square feet,and I think it was in the $700.00 range.You can get decent leather at Tandy for less than $5.00 sq. ft.and they also have dye,for what you can buy some of the other holsters like Don Hume,Galco etc. you will pretty much have at least that much invested,but after that if you want to make another holster should get by with just some more leather
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I can help you out. I can cut you some leather with the pattern that I have, send you a couple of needles and thread and basic instructions on how to do it. This will be for a basic pancake holster. I can do this for $25.00. You will still need to buy some glue, and dye for finish. If you are interested, email me and we can go from there. P.S. the leather I have is the best veg tanned US made. It is top quality.
    Jeff
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Don't do it,you will never again have any free time,I still make holsters for friends,but no longer sell any over the internet.I bought a sewing machine,but that's a whole nother learning curve.Saddle stitching IMHO looks much nicer,as the thread is thicker and stands out more.If you have a Tandy Leather Supply store near you thats a good place to start.Herman Oaks leather is the Best,But IIRC you have to buy a minimum square feet,and I think it was in the $700.00 range.You can get decent leather at Tandy for less than $5.00 sq. ft.and they also have dye,for what you can buy some of the other holsters like Don Hume,Galco etc. you will pretty much have at least that much invested,but after that if you want to make another holster should get by with just some more leather

Funny, ^^^^^^^^^but probably ^^^true^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Haystacker View Post
    I can help you out. I can cut you some leather with the pattern that I have, send you a couple of needles and thread and basic instructions on how to do it. This will be for a basic pancake holster. I can do this for $25.00. You will still need to buy some glue, and dye for finish. If you are interested, email me and we can go from there. P.S. the leather I have is the best veg tanned US made. It is top quality.
    Jeff

This ^^^^really sounds ^^^^^^^^^

Like a terrific Idea/solution to your intentions and desire.

That way you are still making it, without all of the outlay of up front costs for equipment.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen
    TN_Mike likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Haystacker I may take you up on that. It's something i've thought about doing for a little while now as a hobby but was never really sure how to get started. I will send you a PM towards the end of next week because i'm short on cash til i get paid friday. Thanks for the help!

I did the same thing a few months ago. I wanted a leather holster for a P229 with an M3 light attached and couldn't find one that didn't have a thumb break. I studies a few of the holsters that I had and took it slow. Hand stiching and glueign worked fine for me. I got my thread and needles at my local Michael's store.

I've been toying around with the same idea, this place sells a hybrid holster kit that gives you everything you need, but you build it. which includes molding the Kydex. take a look at the site, Theres also an hour long video (on the site) which goes thru the entire process. At first it looks terrible but comes out very good in the end. Worth taking a look at IMO, Leather Kydex hybrid holsters and holster kits

Quote Originally Posted by Snatale42 View Post
    I've been toying around with the same idea, this place sells a hybrid holster kit that gives you everything you need, but you build it. which includes molding the Kydex. take a look at the site, Theres also an hour long video (on the site) which goes thru the entire process. At first it looks terrible but comes out very good in the end. Worth taking a look at IMO, Leather Kydex hybrid holsters and holster kits
    Looks good. Great idea.
    NRA Life Member

I'm lucky enough that I have a Tandy Leather store near me. I went to their "scrap" bin and spend $17 and got enough material to make 6-7 Crossbreed clones. The kydex I purchased in 12x12 sheets, and I used an only oven to heat it all up. It worked, and now I have a holster for my 1911, H&K P2000, and PPS. I couldn't be happier!!
    "Common sense is not so common. Voltaire

Sponsored Links