IWB SOB .. lmnopxyz....

This is a discussion on IWB SOB .. lmnopxyz.... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone out there make a SOB holster that's also an IWB? I think .. I found one, but the weapon's grip is pointed in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IWB SOB .. lmnopxyz....

IWB SOB .. lmnopxyz....

Does anyone out there make a SOB holster that's also an IWB? I think .. I found one, but the weapon's grip is pointed in the wrong direction, so you twist yer hand to get the grip. But, it looks to me as though you'll sweep you body if you aren't careful ... Any info is appreciated ..

Cray

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cray
    Does anyone out there make a SOB holster that's also an IWB? I think .. I found one, but the weapon's grip is pointed in the wrong direction, so you twist yer hand to get the grip. But, it looks to me as though you'll sweep you body if you aren't careful ... Any info is appreciated ..

Cray
    Lots has been written regarding SOB's. Most feel the risk of spinal damage isn't worth it. There are of course other reasons it isn't the best choice for CCW. I'll let some others comment on them.
    I for one would not use an SOB.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Administrator

The Question The Member Asked Is:

Does anyone out there make a SOB holster that's also an IWB?

The Member Did Not Ask:

Will I snap my spine in half like a twig if I carry Small Of Back?

Oh...my apologies...he did say: "any information is appreciated."

Can you tell I'm in a bad mood today?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    the only iwb sob i have seen is galco , which is clavery style carry ( butt foreward ) , howeaver Bianchi makes or used to make an adjustable cant iwb that you could set upside down if that is what thrills you lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Cray, welcome to CC.

In describing the grip's layout, do you mean the grip is pointing to the inside or outside of body? Does your hand go in back of the weapon or between the gun and your body?

I saw some off branded generic holsters that claim to be 4 in 1s and such, Old World Leather comes to mind.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Cray,

I use SOB almost 100% of the time. I find it rather confortable and in coceals best on my body type. We are all different.

There are two ways to carry SOB: (1) gripping the gun palm out, in which you will sweep your body; and (2) grippig the gun palm in, which is very similar to the regular IWB only much farther behind you.

I use the "palm out" method. I do not place my finger on the trigger till I'm ready to shoot. I have some SOB holsters. In fact one of them os from CrossBreed. When I called to order I explained to Garry what I needed (reverse the grip for "palm out") and he knew exactly what I meant before I finished the sentence.

However, most of the time I just order IWB left-handed holsters even though I am right-handed. This allows me to wear these holsters in the SOB and draw palm out. It works very well for me.

I hope this helps.

-- FD

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    The Question The Member Asked Is:

Does anyone out there make a SOB holster that's also an IWB?

The Member Did Not Ask:

Will I snap my spine in half like a twig if I carry Small Of Back?

Oh...my apologies...he did say: "any information is appreciated."

Can you tell I'm in a bad mood today?
    I take it then, the answer is no?

It was a simple question, no sarcasm was warranted, or even expected from a senior moderator.

I'm well aware of the tactical issues associated with choosing a SOB holster, and though I've never heard of anyone ACTUALLY hurting their spine, I acknowledge it could possibly happen. But then, if you never fly in an airplane, you probably won't ever get hurt in an aircraft crash.

Everytime someone mentions SOB you hear, you'll hurt your spine .. don't get a BB gun .. you'll put your eye out.

As I said, it was a simple question. I was researching IWB holsters and ran across an SOB, and I thought it may be an interesting design ... simple. There are, afterall, quite a few holster designers at this site.

Thank you for your assistance, and for the exemplary example you set for the site, in responding to a new member.

I believe the post was in response to Thumper slamming SOB carry and basically giving you information you did not ask for, ie he went to describe why he feels SOB carry is bad and not "Does anyone out there make a SOB holster that's also an IWB?" like you asked. It wasn't meant (IMO) as a slam against you, he (QKS) was being snippy towards Thumper because he criticized you for carrying SOB instead of trying to be helpful and answering your question. QKS was trying to imply to the posters that we should stay on topic and help with holster selection like your original post requested and not turn this into a IWB vs SOB carry thread, as they get out of hand quickly and are all over this forum and others.

I think you took QKS's post the wrong way. It wasn't aimed at you, cray.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm
    Cray, welcome to CC.

In describing the grip's layout, do you mean the grip is pointing to the inside or outside of body? Does your hand go in back of the weapon or between the gun and your body?

I saw some off branded generic holsters that claim to be 4 in 1s and such, Old World Leather comes to mind.
    For a right handed shooter, the thumb was on the OUTSIDE of the weapon, with the other 4 fingers inside, next to your back, and the butt of the gun was pointing to the OUTSIDE .. make sense? That requires you to sweep your body on the draw.

This wasn't a well known manufacturer, but seeing it made me wonder if ... considering the benefits that IWB brings to strong side carry, wouldn't an IWB version of the SOB bring those same benefits (with the gun turned around). For those who carry SOB, does that make sense?

Assistant Administrator
    I am not a regular SOB user but did recently buy from a member a HiNoon rig for my SW99 - just to add to my options. 226 is EDC but I may well use this combination at times.

I took a coupla pics and find I draw instinctively palm in - works for me. Pics a bit basic as I had to use remote - plus T shirt got rucked up and I forgot to put belt thru all loops when trying it out.!!

I posted about it originally BTW in this thread where I mention that I do let it sit more 5 o'clock - the main gun mass being away from main spinal area.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm
    I believe the post was in response to Thumper slamming SOB carry and basically giving you information you did not ask for, ie he went to describe why he feels SOB carry is bad and not "Does anyone out there make a SOB holster that's also an IWB?" like you asked. It wasn't meant (IMO) as a slam against you, he (QKS) was being snippy towards Thumper because he criticized you for carrying SOB instead of trying to be helpful and answering your question. QKS was trying to imply to the posters that we should stay on topic and help with holster selection like your original post requested and not turn this into a IWB vs SOB carry thread, as they get out of hand quickly and are all over this forum and others.

I think you took QKS's post the wrong way. It wasn't aimed at you, cray.
    Interesting, I actually agree with what Thumper said ... you make concessions by carrying SOB. And, I don't own an SOB holster, though I own at least one of most other styles. The post was mainly to get ideas/thoughts on what I considered to be a different style of CCW holster. Thank you for your thoughts ....

I reread the thread, and I agree .. I mistook the thread and jumped on a gentleman who was actually taking my side.

QKS ... I do apologize ... you're doing a ******* job. If you ever find your self in central OK, you let me know cause I owe you a cold one.

I'm being called by my wife, to watch a DVD, so I've got to go and pull my foot out of my !@$@ before we do it. Again, sorry for the misunderstanding.

cray,
    To answer your question directly, - Yes, I have made SOB IWB holsters and am in fact working on one now for a customer. I make mine grip pointing up, to be drawn palm in towards the body. Do I recommend this mode of carry? Generally no. I will only make one after discussing other carry options with the customer and being sure he has unsucessfully tried and been dis-satisfied with alternative carry methods.

The reason you do not see them offered more often is becuase they will only work with a full-sized 1911 dimension carry gun. IWB carry requires a certain amount of pistol inside the pants below the waistband to be stable and prevent the feeling that the pistol is going to tumble up and out of the waistband. The more cant there is, the less pistol there is inside the pants, and SOB carry requires a great deal of cant. Consequently, only a firearm with some length will work, leaving out shorter barreled concealment pistols.
    Hope this helps...
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Administrator

Thumbs up No Apology Necessary cray

I've not had a good thrashing on the forum in quite some time now.

Yes, my intention was to not have your thread be thrown off topic by forum members answering questions that you did not ask.

I should have directed my reply specifically to the second post in your thread & so I can see how I was too easily misunderstood by you & for that I apologize to you.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Mr. Garrity, I am wondering how a combo IWB/SOB would look. SOBs usually have about 20-25deg of cant. Is it kinda like two sets of belt holes, one on each side. Like one side it is cut for IWB and the opposite side is cut for SOB (in owb configuration with gun out of pants), kinda like an X shape? I have a few weird pictures in my mind right now of all the ways you could make it work. Can you post a pic (dialup friendly, please) of what one would look like? I am kind of curious.

I can see an IWB becoming a SOB by having an extreme cant and just wearing it to the far rear, like around 5:00/ 5:30.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

freakshow10mm,
    I tried making one years ago along the lines of my In-Cognito IWB with front and rear belt loops, but the front snap-loop was rubbing the rear sight and interferring with the draw. So I now make it with one loop mounted on the holster body like a Special Special, and the second loop mounted on a wing behind the trigger-guard and above the dust-cover. The rig does sit at about a 25 degree angle; the grip almost perfectly vertical. Hope this makes sense and can be visualized as the holster I'm making now is still in progress and I don't have any pics of former ones. I'll be sure to take a pic of this one before it goes out the door and post it here.

Nice to see another 10mmfan here, or anywhere for that matter!
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links