S&W J frame holsters

This is a discussion on S&W J frame holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; usually carry both my Sp101 and 642 in a smartcarry. I do like those Mika\'s and may order a custom one from him in the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&W J frame holsters

usually carry both my Sp101 and 642 in a smartcarry. I do like those Mika\'s and may order a custom one from him in the future

2. Remove Ads

J-fr. holsters

I normally carry my 638 in a pocket holster made by PCS. You can look at his website, or Lightning Arms is a stocking dealer. Great stuff, made by someone who carries every day.

.38 J-Frame Airweight here, and I use a variety of carry options. Typical (90% of the time) it is IWB 4:00 with a Bianchi leather holster. When dress code dictates, it goes in an ankle holster. I\'ve actually found I can get used to the ankle method after awhile, but it took a little getting used to though. I also carry a semiauto in a Galco shoulder rig when plowing snow. In addition, I pocket carry the Airweight on occasion. The main thing to keep in mind is that different methods work for different people, and even then each person is likely to employ a variety of options depending on the situation. Experiment, and find what works best for you. There are no right or wrong answers. Steven

Ex Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    For pocket carry the Uncle Mike and the Mika pocket holsters do a fine job at a good price.

I have a box full of pocket holsters and the one I use the most is the Model #25 from Safariland. It is made of very thin Kydex and shaped to your particular gun on the side that touches your body and is completely smooth on the side that is exposed. That way there is no chance of printing. It is then covered on the outside with a thin layer of swade (sp?) leather so the holster will stay in your pocket when you draw. You can also reholster your gun with one hand because of this design. The best thing is the cost, only $25. For ankle carry I like the Renegade.

MadDog :rock:

I have a Hedley holster and really like it a lot. For IWB, I have a Tucker Cover-up. It\'s by far the most comfortable IWB I\'ve ever worn.

Tucker Cover-up

VIP Member
    I use the Uncle Mikes #3 pocket holster for my 642. I think I paid about $10 for it. If you want good quality leather for pocket carry I would also recommend the Hedley holster.

I would note that this method of carry only works with my docker style and dress pants. I chose the khaki color because it is the most visible in that color. It doesn\'t work with my jeans because the pockets are too tight.

Here are a couple pictures of it.

Whole thing in pocket. The other pocket is empty. These are \'regulars'versus the \'talls'I usually wear. The talls have a deeper pocket, which is sometimes good and sometimes not.

Side view. It changes the break of the pants in the front a little. Is that a gun in your pocket or are you just glad to see me.:O

Here is the draw. The holster has suede on it to keep it in the pocket.

You can\'t even see the N-Frame under my sweater can you?;):D

Edited b/c I realized I just posted another reply to the same thread. sorry

Hedley holsters rule!

:rock:

Another fan of the Mika holster here. I ordered one before Christmas. It was well made, & attractive in a utilitarian sort of way. It fit the gun well leaving a small amount of metal at the top exposed. I was looking for a slightly oversized holster that would leave no metal exposed, so I emailed Mr. Mika about purchasing another slightly larger holster. He responded by saying that he would make me another holster at no charge, & that I could keep the original as a backup or give it to someone in need. I received the second shortly after, made exactly as I had hoped. Couldn\'t be more satisfied. Here is a picture of the first holster I received. Don\'t have a picture of the second yet.

I have a S&W 340,, and carry it just like Scott in a Uncle Mikes front pants pocket holster.
    I also carry it in my 5.11 vest, and a Milt Sparks Summer Special II.
    Never cared much for a shoulder or ankle carry. Especially with these little J frames.

I recently picked up a Renegade ankle holster ( retailed for $45 ) for my SW 640 . I live in the foothills of the Blueridge Mountains in NC. The terrain of my property has many different slopes, and elevations. This ankle rig is pretty comfortable and has remained secure while walking, hiking, stomping, running etc. on uneven surfaces. I\'ve worn it with sneakers and jeans and also with hi top work boots without the need for an extension to make it around my calf.

It has a very substantial retention strap. Regarding the draw, once you\'ve cleared your pants you grasp the grip and firmly pull straight up. The roscoe is designed to come out without having to disengage the retention strap.

I\'m sure the Alessi ankle rig rocks but the performance of this Renegade for the price is hard to beat. My .02

Gunzer;)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links