S&W J frame holsters

S&W J frame holsters

This is a discussion on S&W J frame holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased a s&w 642 and would like some advice on how to carry it. My thoughts are a pocket holster and/or a ankle ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

S&W J frame holsters

I recently purchased a s&w 642 and would like some advice on how to carry it. My thoughts are a pocket holster and/or a ankle holster. Anyone have any experience to pass on, like good brands models and where to buy? I prefer leather but am open to kydex:)

Alessi Ankle holster or Sparks VM-II

I use an Alessi Ankle Holster by Lou Alessi and a Milt Sparks VM-II or Alessi Watch 6 for IWB carry. Good quality leather holsters. Lou\'s ankle holster is the best on the market.

Dave

Cool thanks for the help

DC Founder
    It\'s probably just me but I could never quite get used to an ankle holster. When I was reserve officer in Denver many of the officers wore them. I simply couldn\'t get used to it. Others love them. Some of the pocket holsters look like they would work really well, especially the back pocket holsters. I wear IWB most of the time.

ahhh the alessi ankle hoster was 130$. It had better be the best for that price. i will continue to look.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    I personally never cared for an ankle holster either, to hard to draw while on the move running for cover etc. I carry a 642 every day either in a $10.00 Uncle Mike\'s pocket holster size 3 or in a smartcarry holster. (awkward for about 2 days then it is wonderful)

I carry mine in a K and D leather pocket holster.

I have actually fallen asleep with it in my pocket, because I forgot it was there.

DC Founder
    A buddy of mine bought a PagerPal which looked good to me at the gun show but I have been flipping between the Smartcarry or the PagerPal, so I have bought neither one. Looks like both of them would work best in baggy pants and I hate to start buying more clothes to fit my holster.....

Hey Bumper I have never tried pagerPal so I can\'t comment but who still carries a pager? Anyway I use a smartcarry with Levi 505 jeans (not baggy) and a S&W 642 daily.

JT
    Iíve only heard bad things about Pager Pal.

The only time I carry my S&W 642 is in my pocket. Nothing against it but thatís what I bought it for, I have other for carrying on a belt holster. Several people recommend the following holster for pocket carry, and I found out they were right. It will not come out of you pocket, when you draw. All you get is gun. And itís cheap ($15.95). I usually donít trust cheap in a holster, but this is the exception. The guy makes them himself, and is former law enforcement.

Read what he has to say about them on his web site.
    http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

DC Founder
    Originally posted by Super Trucker
    Hey Bumper I have never tried pagerPal so I can\'t comment but who still carries a pager?
    Well, they call it a PagerPal (it comes with a dummy pager), but you can take the pager off and put on something that just about everyone carries these days, a mobile phone. But to specifically answer your question, a LOT of technical computer people still carry pagers because most of our systems have the ability to page you (text messaging) or send you a regular email when they are experiencing a problem. I haven\'t carried a pager in several years now....

Well, they call it a PagerPal (it comes with a dummy pager), but you can take the pager off and put on something that just about everyone carries these days, a mobile phone. But to specifically answer your question, a LOT of technical computer people still carry pagers because most of our systems have the ability to page you (text messaging) or send you a regular email when they are experiencing a problem. I haven\'t carried a pager in several years now....
    OK I stand corrected, I thought pagers were a thing of the past, and also did not know you could put something else on it.

New Member Array Round Gun Shooter's Avatar
    For pocket holsters, see Hedley Holster. I have one and really like it.

Here are pics fron R.Js web site.

Regards,

Have a pair of Hume JITs right and left. Either can be used strong side, or cross draw.

Also have a pair of Null pocket holsters in horsehide.

On occasion, an ankle holster by A&B Topline out of Cincinnatti is used.

Last, an inside the vest crossdraw is used sometimes in a RR 5.11 vest.

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    Pager Pal didn\'t work for me, either. Looked like I had a tumor. Oddly, appendix carry works fine for me with other holsters.

I also don\'t care for an ankle holster. Just my feelings - I don\'t like the lopsided feel of my walk, and I don\'t like worrying about the thing flying loose when I stride forcefully away.

As far as pocket holsters go, for a J-frame I prefer one with some structure to it. This seems to help with the printing issue caused by the cylinder. I presently use a DeSantis hard leather holster that ran me about $20. (I\'m happy with their Nemesis soft holster for semi-autos, though.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links