Best pocket holster for S&W J w/hammer? Hammer not covered?

This is a discussion on Best pocket holster for S&W J w/hammer? Hammer not covered? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking for a quality pocket holster for my S&W 37, exposed hammer J-frame. I will be carrying front pocket 99%, maybe occasional ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BadgerMan

Thread: Best pocket holster for S&W J w/hammer? Hammer not covered?

Best pocket holster for S&W J w/hammer? Hammer not covered?

I have been looking for a quality pocket holster for my S&W 37, exposed hammer J-frame. I will be carrying front pocket 99%, maybe occasional vest or jacket pocket carry.

What concerns me is most pocket holsters I have seen that say they are custom made for the J-frame hammers, is that many do not even completely cover the trigger guard, and NONE I have seen even cover the hammer! It seems that as a matter of safety, the hammer would be covered, and I can't for the life of me think that it would be safe to pocket a revolver and NOT have the trigger guard covered.

Am I missing something? Any suggestions on a decent rig? I am an "old-schooler" who prefers leather. Kydex and plastic and cloth just don't impress me for a long-term use holster, but perhaps for in the pocket, they might perform better?

2. Remove Ads

I use a Mika holster for my 442, though it is fairly deep I don't think it would fully cover the hammer through the trigger is definitely covered. I doubt you're going to find anything that will cover the hammer and even if you did, that would probably increase the likelyhood of the hammer getting snagged during your draw.

As far as the trigger guard is concerned, as long as it covers everything from the front of the trigger forward you should be good to go, the only issue with that would be if you had something else in your pocket and it got behind the trigger so you wouldn't be able to fire without clearing the obstruction, also maybe fuzzies would be an issue as well. As long as you don't keep anything else in that pocket that won't be a problem, I'd wager the reason that most of those holsters aren't very deep is because that makes it more difficult to get a good grip on the gun when you're trying to draw it, especially with the pocket semi-autos. I also wouldn't worry too much about the trigger or hammer getting accidentally pulled as those J-frames take a pretty long and heavy pull to set off, a lot of people carried them without holsters all the time (especially in the past) and it didn't seem to cause a lot of accidents. I'm not advocating that you don't use a holster as it not only gives you that extra bit of insurance, it also helps with fuzzies and keeping your firearms upright. In summary, find a pocket holster from a reputable maker that you like, don't keep anything else in your pocket, and you should be good to go.
    bps3040 likes this.

I have a 442 and carry it (at times) in an Alessi Pocket Holster. Works well for me.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

+1 on the Mika pocket holster! I carried a S&W 36 in it for years and the trigger guard and hammer were completely covered. I carry a Ruger SP101 in it now and the only difference is the grip sticks out of the holster a little more. It's a good thing! You won't be disappointed with a Mika holster.

I bought a mid-sized nylon clip on IWB holster and the metal clip can be put on either side or even removed. Remove the clip and it would cover the trigger guard and the hammer both and slide right in your pocket. Here it is with my Ruger SP101 (2" bbl with hammer) in it.
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I use a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster for my S&W 442.

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Check out RKBA Holsters. They have an option to cover the hammer on jframes. I have one of his models for my 642 and it's a great leather pocket holster.

S&W J-Frame

tooldawg, google Pocket Concealment Systems. I have their canted model and it works very well and will still be around when the fabric holsters are trash.

Check out AHolster. They make fantastic pocket holsters. I have two and wont go back to the Mika or Desantic Nemesis. It has two "hooks" built into it, one at the top and one at the bottom, that make sure that the holster stays in your pocket as you draw.

aholster
    http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/fi...w-j-frame.html

I'll add another vote for a Mika holster. Excellent product and reasonable price.

Mika or Nemesis. Both great and not bankbreakers.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I'm quite fond of the Pocket Packer from Wild Bill's Concealment. It's shown here with a Taurus 851 (copy of S&W Bodyguard), but I've used it extensively with the same model with a conventional hammer. If you get the 'premium' model, you get a removable leather panel that makes the loaded holster 'print' like a wallet... highly recommended.
    Attached Images
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I've been thinking about a new model 36 and decided it's probably going to be an SP101 just for the hammer reason... seems to me a hammer in the pocket is just asking for trouble. You could get the draw right 99% of the time, and still snag in that unpredictable moment...
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

+++ on the Mika Pocket Holster. Quality work, excellent product and great customer service. It works as advertised. Stays put and is invisible.

Quote Originally Posted by jbihn View Post
    Check out RKBA Holsters. They have an option to cover the hammer on jframes. I have one of his models for my 642 and it's a great leather pocket holster.

S&W J-Frame
    As do I. I haven't seen the version that covers the hammer but if it is anywhere close to his other models, I can give them a big thumbs up.

Links