new to concealed carry. need some thoughts

This is a discussion on new to concealed carry. need some thoughts within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got my CCW permit a couple weeks ago. I've only carried my springfield ultra compact once since then. I'm in school all day everyday ...

Thread: new to concealed carry. need some thoughts

I got my CCW permit a couple weeks ago.
    I've only carried my springfield ultra compact once since then. I'm in school all day everyday so carrying daily is not an option.
    Anyway, to my question. I got a Galco Royal Gaurd holster in the trade with my pistol. I have a CBST on order that should be here in a couple weeks.
    I would like to carry at about 3:30-4:00 position, but with my current holster when i get there the butt of the pistol seems to jab out and be very obvious. I think this will be better with a lower ride height I can get with the super tuck. Is this correct? If not, how do you guys keep the butt from sticking out without wearing hugely oversized shirts?

PS I'm 6'3" and 265 so I'm not exactly wearing skin tight shirts as it is

A good gun belt would probably do more to solve that problem. Try thebeltman.net, their not cheap but you buy once not several times. It will last years and years.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    A good gun belt would probably do more to solve that problem. Try thebeltman.net, their not cheap but you buy once not several times. It will last years and years.
    I bought a Galco belt....I know not as good as a custom belt but the best I could do right now. So do you the the problem is more likely a "falling away" issue than a ride height issue?

Try 3:00 - 3:30 and see if that helps you any. It will put the gun more to your side and not sticking out towards your back.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Hiram, I meant to put in my OP that I carried it at 3:00 without an issue

Quote Originally Posted by HKing View Post
    I bought a Galco belt....I know not as good as a custom belt but the best I could do right now. So do you the the problem is more likely a "falling away" issue than a ride height issue?
    A belt plays a big part but it's not going to be the whole solution. The galco may be fine to get you going once you have the cbst and play with the ride height some. I'm 6-2 and 265 and rocking the ol man kegger so the belt was a big part of it for me. Many of my students find that even the non height adjustable holsters ride tighter to the body with a good belt. I've tried others but the beltman belt has the others beat hands down for me. I carry about 4.

I agree with the others - a good quality gun belt will do more to solve your problem than anything else.

If we can help just let us know.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Truth be told one of the more effective methods of helping best CCW your CCW is fitness. The combination of a broad chest, back and shoulders, along with as trim a waist area as one can manage, helps the garment drape better over the torso. Also the less gut forcing the pistol butt outwards the closer the pistol will hug one's body lines.

JD
    Administrator
    Its not all belt issue, (I'm not following if the OP all ready has the Galco belt or if it's on order) Galco makes a pretty good belt. The issue is more likely the holster, having owned a Galco Royal Guard and having a CBST I can say that the issue is one of mounting method. The Crossbreed has wider mounting points and the rear mounting point will help pull the but of the gun in toward the body.

Sent from my US740 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    Truth be told one of the more effective methods of helping best CCW your CCW is fitness. The combination of a broad chest, back and shoulders, along with as trim a waist area as one can manage, helps the garment drape better over the torso. Also the less gut forcing the pistol butt outwards the closer the pistol will hug one's body lines.
    Okaaaaay

the further toward the spine you go from 3:00, the more muzzle rear rake is usually required to keep the butt of the gun from protruding. The best OWB holsters for guys with a well padded 6 pack is one that rides lower on the belt for more stability to counter act the "chub shove" issue. I think the best one by far is the DefCon by Gary Brommeland, the most stable OWB I have ever experienced, and I have tried a bunch.

I'm the skunk at the picnic on this one. Many of the most knowledgeable folks on this forum prefer the 4ish position with an IWB. I know it's popular, I know it works, but I just can't make it work. I print, and not just a little, even with a com-tac Minotaur and a single stack Kahr. I am 6-2, 230 with an athletic build, but I do not taper much in the torso, I am thick and block shaped, and that is a function of my physiology, not fat (I just re-read that, what's next, I'm big-boned?...geez) I have found that appendix carry (12:30 to 2:00 ish) works great for me with a short enough barrel (PM9) which you have. You'd have to get past the cocked and locked/femoral artery thing, but if you are wearing a good holster and don't activate the grip safety while pulling the trigger (let's just assume you managed to get the thumb safety off somehow) you should be fine. Just a thought, I know I'm in the minority on this issue (you could also go under the shirt with Kangaroo Carry, but that's a whole other issue)
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

Sponsored Links