OWB and concealibility (got a new gun, have a new question)

This is a discussion on OWB and concealibility (got a new gun, have a new question) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I used to strictly carry IWB with my bigger SD40. Now that I have a compact CZ75 P01 I am really thinking of OWB ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: OWB and concealibility (got a new gun, have a new question)

OWB and concealibility (got a new gun, have a new question)

So I used to strictly carry IWB with my bigger SD40. Now that I have a compact CZ75 P01 I am really thinking of OWB for a couple reasons.
    1. Comfort
    2. My IWB isn't made for this gun and though I formed it, I still don't "love it" as much as I thought after wearing it some more.
    3. Comfort

I tried on a don hume h721 and it was so comfy. Worn at 4-5 oclock it appears it would be easy to conceal. Only concern, in Alabama summers 95-100 degrees (100% humidity, no "dry heat" down here) is the common weather from May to October. And since I mainly carry on weekends it is shorts and t-shirt weather.

My local range owner says it is no big deal and most people don't ever notice (he carries that way and has for 20 years) around here. But I dunno. I tried the JIT Slide with my 40 and it was "concealable" but printed under just a t-shirt.

So, what is a man to do? Just suck it up and IWB or go OWB till I get hassled by someone?

2. Remove Ads

I'm kind of in the same situation. My state in conceal only but like you said OWB is so much more comfortable. I wear T shirts and jeans year round.
    as much as I would hate to wear a cover garmet in the summer when its 100 degrees when I carry my 1911 goverment there just doesnt seem to be many other options that I know of.

I carry a full size Sig 9mm in a Snap OWB holster by Side Guard. Made specifically for my pistol and it works great. Snaps make for easy on and easy off, even sitting in a car. The full size of the Sig does show some, but I have not had anyone comment on it in the two years I have been carrying that way. You can see it in my signature.
    NRA Life member
    USCCA member
    A muscle not exercised will eventually atrophy.
    A right not exercised will eventually be taken away!

Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post
    I'm kind of in the same situation. My state in conceal only but like you said OWB is so much more comfortable. I wear T shirts and jeans year round.
    as much as I would hate to wear a cover garmet in the summer when its 100 degrees when I carry my 1911 goverment there just doesnt seem to be many other options that I know of.
    I have a really light weight golf pullover, I am thinking about cutting the sleeves off to have a summer "vest" of sorts. One thing I tried that made concealment with my JIT a snap was t-shirt not tucked and a pullover tied around my waist. But this made getting to it more difficult and I don't really fit that kind of look. I think I am going to get it and just see what happens.

But please keep the ideas coming. And thanks RmScadd for the idea!

I carry a SA XD40 SC every day, OWB, covered with tee-shirt all summer and never had anyone say a thing about it!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I carry a SA XD40 SC every day, OWB, covered with tee-shirt all summer and never had anyone say a thing about it!
    What brand and style OWB do you have?

Short sleeve cotton or linen overshirts are relatively cool.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I wear thin short sleeve baggy tacky looking Hawaiian shirts all summer long and they cover nicely. They are light weight enough to be cool in the summer too.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Administrator
    I carry OWB in Summer under just a T-shirt with shorts all the time.

Helpful hints.

> Stay away from cheap white T-shirts.

> Stick with medium to dark colored High Quality T-shirts.
    Wear 100% Cotton T-shirts & buy them nicely oversize.
    The higher quality shirts are usually heavier weight Cotton...still nice & cool & they don't get all goofy & shrink & distort the wrong way the first time they're washed.

> You still need a good quality gun belt.

> Find a good, high quality leather OWB holster that cants the gun forward so that the gun butt is UP rather than jutting out.

> Locate the firearm behind the strong side hip.

> Learn to carry with confidence & remember that unless you are a totally handsome phenomenal looking young "Hunk" - trust me....nobody is checking out your ass.

I carry either a Colt Combat Commander or a SIG P220 under just an oversize "T" so you should have no problem.
    smolck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    > Learn to carry with confidence & remember that unless you are a totally handsome phenomenal looking young "Hunk" - trust me....nobody is checking out your ass.
    ROFL! Yea, no question. I have a medical condition known as noassatall.

Got it down to the Desantis Speed Scabbord and the Don Hume. Desantis is $62, Don Hume is $34. Desantis looks better and has multiple slots for belt plus rentention screw. I wish holsters were cheaper!

And than you all for the tips. Keep em coming!

Well, I know everyone might be tired of my holster posts but this will hopefully be the last. I think I found my go to holster! With the high ride a good belt is a must, but short of that, this baby is awesome. And at $40 you can't beat it!

Cotton overshirt does best for concealment (photos) but I can get away with a golf polo too. So I am off to do my first real world OWB carry since getting my permit. It has been all IWB till now.

Thanks for the help and encouragement. I can't see IWB carrying much anymore. So much more comfy this way!
    Attached Images

Camp shirts... hard to find. Now they're all "tactical." Bass Pro shops have some that are similar to 511 (with the hidden pockets) but they apparently don't carry them any more....

Simialr to these: linky

but I do find that with some holsters you need to wear a tshirt under the cover shirt... gets a bit warm in our hot and muggy Iowa summers.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Well just got back from a few errands and taking the kids to Best Buy. Nobody was the wiser and my new holster couldn't be more comfy. I didn't even have to adjust it after getting in and out of the car like I do with my IWB. OWB is my new carry method for sure!

In the summer when not in the shop - I carry a 1911 commander under a T Shirt with shorts every day, with no problem.

I think the key is the belt. You need a high quality gun belt to hold your gun in tight. give it a try and you may be surprised.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

OWB works for CCW. It all depends on the gun and holster. I OWB my Ruger P95 with a Serpa CQC. It works. It does print some not allot though, some printing is ok IMO. I wore it that way today. Jeans, t-shirt and a fleece over the t-shirt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links