Kahr MK9 OWB Holster Recommendations

This is a discussion on Kahr MK9 OWB Holster Recommendations within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Would appreciate recommendations for OWB holsters for a Kahr MK9. I am not interested in IWB carry. I am looking to purchase a leather rig ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr MK9 OWB Holster Recommendations

Kahr MK9 OWB Holster Recommendations

Would appreciate recommendations for OWB holsters for a Kahr MK9. I am not interested in IWB carry. I am looking to purchase a leather rig and a kydex one, so would like recommendations for both. On kydex, I am leaning heavily towards Raven Concealment, but open to other options.

Most important criteria for me are (1) concealability, (2) adequate retention with ease of draw in defensive situations and (3) quality/durability.

Extra bonus points for pictures that reflect concealability factor.

Thanks in advance for your guidance!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    S&W M&P9
    Kahr MK9

2. Remove Ads

I am going to be watching this thread as I am looking for holsters for my CW9. But I have to say, after looking at their website, the Raven stuff looks cheap and uncomfortable even for an OWB rig. I don't like it at all.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I have seen their (Raven) rigs in person and they are very impressive. Thin but strong kydex, ride very very close to the body, excellent draw. Others on this forum seem to agree, but as I said, I am open to suggestions.
    S&W M&P9
    Kahr MK9

Check out the Ritchie CQ-QR.

Thanks for the recommendation.
    S&W M&P9
    Kahr MK9

I use a Garrett Industries Silent Thunder holster with the paddle mount for OWB with my Kahr CW9. Being OWB can't say as how concealable it is, but: It's very easy to put on and off, rock solid when on, leather-lined Kydex so smooth draw and easy reholstering, cantable to any angle. Retention is adjusted with tension screws.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    DSS07,
    Like you, I don't carry IWB, even with my little MK9. I prefer OWB even with small guns.

Kydex: I recently purchased a Raven Concealment rig for my MK9. I don't normally like kydex, but I'm a huge fan of Raven Concealment and have them for a couple of my full size pistols. Like all Raven rigs I have owned, the workmanship and quality is excellent. Both the pistol and the mags conceal very well under a light t-shirt. I wanted it for my MK9 primarily to wear when I'm out on the boat. I feel like the Kydex rig and the stainless MK9 make an excellent combination around salt water. I'm very, very pleased with the rig.

Leather: I have two leather rigs I wear with the MK9. The first is a Mitch Rosen 5JR. The workmanship is perfect and it conceals like it is not there. The 2nd is a Ritchie Leather CQ-QR. I paid a bit of a premium to get it "in stock" from Lightning Arms, but it was worth it to not have to wait. Like the Rosen, it is beautifully made and concealment is excellent.

MK9 holsters can be tough to find. I constantly cruise the classifieds on the gun forums and sometimes get lucky.
    Best regards,
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Many thanks for your recommendations, Gonzo. I also saw your response to my post in the Kahrtalk forum and appreciate it.

I share your impressions on the Raven rig and your endorsement in the specific context of the MK has convinced me to order one. Let the waiting begin...

As to leather rigs, the Mitch Rosen 5JR was on my shortlist and am glad to hear that you enjoy it. I have also included the Ritchie per Lasports and your recommendations. Is there any practical difference in your opinion between those two rigs from the concealment and stability perspective? Do you prefer one over the other for the MK?

I am also considering the Alessi CQCS and the Rusty Sherrick US High Ride. You (or anyone else) have thoughts on those?

Thanks again for taking time to respond.
    S&W M&P9
    Kahr MK9

Quote Originally Posted by dss07 View Post
    As to leather rigs, the Mitch Rosen 5JR was on my shortlist and am glad to hear that you enjoy it. I have also included the Ritchie per Lasports and your recommendations. Is there any practical difference in your opinion between those two rigs from the concealment and stability perspective? Do you prefer one over the other for the MK?

I am also considering the Alessi CQCS and the Rusty Sherrick US High Ride. You (or anyone else) have thoughts on those?

Thanks again for taking time to respond.
    I don't see any appreciable different in how the Rosen and the Richie conceal. The Rosen may hold slightly closer to the body, but if it does, it is such a small degree that I would consider it negligible. The Rosen slides on and off my belt a bit easier. The Richie can be put on by using the snaps, but I never do that...I just slide it on. Both are really great rigs and I would have a hard time if forced to decide between the two.

The Richie is almost identical to the Alessi CQC-S. I have an old CQC-S (for my Sig, not the Kahr) and the quality is 2nd to none. I cannot comment on the stuff the company is turning out now. I don't own any of the new stuff. I had a Sherrick Ultra High Ride and did not care for it. I found it a bit loose in construction. I prefer the Rosen UPL (Upper Limit), which is similar, but I believe superior in construction. I am considering ordering one for my K9 and MK9, as a matter of fact.
    Best regards,
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

IMO the time is now for an investment in the Nossar Pancake
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    IMO the time is now for an investment in the Nossar Pancake
    Hard to beat...as long as you don't mind the wait!
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Thanks, semperfi. Gorgeous set up. And your pictures really bring the holster to life. Do you have a sense of Nossar's current lead time?

Gonzo (and semperfi if you care to opine), since you are also considering a Mitch Rosen UPL and have carried in high rides before, I wonder if you would mind sharing your thoughts on the relative pros and cons of pancake style vs. high rides. Which is more concealable in your opinion? Does the MK9's weight counsel against high rides?

As you can tell, while not new to firearms, I am new to CC and would like to make an informed decision regarding by edc rig. Thanks again for all your great advice.

Best,
    DSS07
    S&W M&P9
    Kahr MK9

Excuse the double post, but I realized that perhaps the following will give everyone a bit of context regarding my concealment parameters. I am 5'7" or so and 155-160lbs. I spend 5 days a week in suits/sport coats, so looking for an OWB rig that is concealable under those garments. Ideally, the rig would be concealable enough to pull double duty during weekends, where I would hope to be able to conceal under t-shirt/polo shirt. From what I've seen, I am hopeful that the Mitch Rosen and/or Nossar rigs recommended by Gonzo and semperfi could fit the bill.

Am I setting myself up for disappointment here?

Missing any considerations?

As a reminder, the firearm to be concealed will be a Kahr MK9.

Thanks again!

DSS07
    S&W M&P9
    Kahr MK9

If you want a holster you can probably get locally and inexpensively then look at the Don Hume H721. It is a great high ride OWB for one thing, and for two, it will give you something to holster your gun in while your expensive custom rigs are being made. I paid $40 for this one.

A good gun belt is a must for this style holster or it will flap out away from your body. I can conceal this rig under a sport coat easily.
    Attached Images

The Don Hume is good. If you're looking for another inexpensive but quality OWB leather holster, check out Tagua. I have a thumb-break style holster that is very comfortable and conceals easily under just a polo or long t-shirt.

I forget the exact model name but it shouldn't be hard to find. That's a CW9 but I'm sure they have one for your MK9 as well.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links