shoulder holster for next to skin wear?

This is a discussion on shoulder holster for next to skin wear? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a shoulder holster that I could wear next to the bare skin, under a large button down shirt. I'm5'8", 145 and my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm looking for a shoulder holster that I could wear next to the bare skin, under a large button down shirt. I'm5'8", 145 and my primary weapon is a Ruger P95. I'm considering the Ross horizontal vest system, but I don't know if I can conceal the P95 in that fashion.

Assistant Administrator
    The P95 when I used to carry it, I did have in a Bianchi X-15 but that was over a t-shirt and under a shirt.

I happen to sweat a lot and cannot myself imagine next-to-skin wear. Leather would really suffer and if a man-made fiber deal or plastic - probably I imagine be very uncomfortable and even produce friction irritation.

So - I think maybe the gun might be a tad chunky for this and your build, as I am visualizing it - and then the big question is - do you sweat or not

Oh and - for that gun I would choose (per the Bianchi) a forward break vertical, for sure, and not a horizontal.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks for the info. I do sweat a lot.

I have an old holster called the softholster from a company that no longer exists. It has an angle/horizontal draw the does conceal the P95 on me.

The one thing I dislike about it is it only has one shoulder strap on the holster side, so the entire weight of the P95 is on one shoulder. I have three herniated disks in my neck, so I need the weight distributed across both shoulders.

Assistant Administrator
    The weight aspect on one side is hard to really avoid IMO. Even a rig with the classic ''X'' strap arrangement at back still doesn't I feel make much difference to the weight bias.

Not sure you'll find an ideal solution but hey - plenty of time yet for folks to come in on the thread.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I just ordered a Crossbreed IWB, but it's going to take 4 to 6 weeks and I need a way to carry right now. I sold a couple of unused guns, freeing up some cash to purchase some nice holsters. I may just bear it and wear the P95 in the softholster until the CB arrives.

I don't really know why no one else liked the softholster though. I've found it conceals a wide variety of weapons.

Oh, thanks for the info on the leather too. I thought for some dumb reason it would actually hold up to sweat better.

Lead Moderator
    try looking at concealment t shirts. As previously mentioned, holster+skin = uncomfortable.

http://www.uccomfort.com/3XHHolster.html
    Maybe something like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

That doesnt look real comfortable to me. Looks like it would dig like crazy under the arm. I stick with a shoulder rig. Mine holds 2 mags under the other arm so the weight is better balanced than if it was just the pistol.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Freedz I can promiss you that it dosent dig in. I have several high quality shoulder rigs (Andrews and Galco) and have not found a more comfortable way to carry a weapon under a tucked shirt than the UC Comfort. Funny thing I was just on the phone order two more because after daily wear I have gone through the other two in the past four years.

Someone might be able to point out the link, someone makes a bellyband that rids higher with shoulder straps, which you might consider.

For the shoulder rigs, several of my co-workers carry the Galco Jackass rig with the new mag pouches (facing forward) under a dress shirt but over a t-shirt. I called one (he's from NYC and a very "macho" type and he related that he tried it without a t-shirt and it drove him nuts. He now wears sleveless t-shirts or sleveless v-neck t-shirts to keep the leather and weapon off his bare skin.

Good luck
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I can not share a helpful opinion as I do not find shoulder rigs comfortable for me. I have a similar build and find that IWB is much more effective in my case.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Kangaroo shoulder holster

I have seen comments on an interesting white cotton shoulder holster system called the Kangaroo shoulder holster:
    Kangaroo shoulder holster

I also saw a review of this on Gunblast:
    Review of Kangaroo holster

Since the holster is made of washable white cotton, it might be suitable to wear directly against the skin. I think I might use a A shirt under it, however. I have not used this holster so I am not endorsing it, just pointing it out.

Thanks for the info. I've found the best results so far from Coronado leather vests, and they have a new model for hot weather with a denim back, the rest leather. I've ordered one of those.
    The UC comfort is way too expensive. I'd have to do laundry every single day or own 7 of them due to perspiration, and I don't have that kind of money to spend on shirts.

go with the galco miami classsic. i wear one everyday on the job. to me it is the best shoulder holster that i have used.

I have one of the band holsters similar to the Kangaroo holster, and wear it over a t-shirt under a short sleeve shirt. Works great, and is the easiest way to carry in the summer (114 degrees here today!). Replacing it ,once out, isn't that easy, but comes out easily; leave one button undone on your shirt or velcro the shirt, and sew the button on the outside. I bought the holster at a gunshow. The guy was wearing a short sleeved, tucked in shirt, and was moving boxes around. I watched him for a minute, and could see no print at all, so I said "show me." He smiles and slides out a full sized 1911! It is good for right or left hand (one holder on each side). I just checked the holster cave, and I have 2 of them! Neither has a name brand, but they work well for me.

I've tried the one from Action Direct. The issue with it and the bellybands both is the open end to the holster causes the muzzle of the gun to bite into the flesh, even if it's over a t shirt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links