Pocket carry without a holster

This is a discussion on Pocket carry without a holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many of you pocket carry without a holster? I have a Smith 642 and all of the holsters I try are too big to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Pocket carry without a holster

How many of you pocket carry without a holster? I have a Smith 642 and all of the holsters I try are too big to completely hide the gun. On another forum several have suggested carrying without a holster. The gun has a really long trigger pull so I just have a hard time thinking it will go off by accident.

Please don't suggest to "dress around your gun", this is good advice for future pants purchase but I can't just throw away or alter all of my present shorts, slacks and jeans.

Thanks for the advice.

los
    Without the appropriate holster, I would be concerned about the Piece shifting in the pocket, even shifting into an inverted position. Not good if you have to grab it quickly.

A good pocket holster will always maintain the revolver, or any handgun, in an upright, good-to-go position.
    Old School likes this.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Other than positioning I wouldn't worry too much about it. A holster will help keep your gun a bit less linty and will orient it for your convenience, but as long as you don't have anything else in that pocket I think it's fine. I've done it plenty of times for just the same reason you're thinking about it.

I IWB appendix carry my 642, perhaps that would work if pocket holsters don't go with the wardrobe. I love appendix carry, it's fast and with a good holster, totally consistent. The problem with no-holster pocket carry other than the less than likely scenario that you will catch the trigger, is that it can float and shift around a whole lot as los mentioned above. That can be a huge problem what with Murphy's law and all. In a critical moment, having your draw motion so totally wired that you can perform on a reflex level is in my mind the only way to go. The only way that can happen is steady practice with a very consistent set up, so that you always perform exactly the same motion. My 2 cent.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

GM
    I have done it several times; just make sure that you do not put anything else in the same pocket. In some states it is required by law to carry the gun in a holster.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I use my watch pocket for my LCP sometimes..

No holster...no carry.OMOYMV
    Old School likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wow gives me the willies just thinking about it. For me no holster no carry either. And any holster must cover the trigger and trigger guard.
    Old School and Xader like this.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

I use a Mike's pocket holster. No holster no carry, at least for me.
    Old School likes this.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

Quote Originally Posted by ccm View Post
    How many of you pocket carry without a holster? I have a Smith 642 and all of the holsters I try are too big to completely hide the gun. On another forum several have suggested carrying without a holster. The gun has a really long trigger pull so I just have a hard time thinking it will go off by accident.

Please don't suggest to "dress around your gun", this is good advice for future pants purchase but I can't just throw away or alter all of my present shorts, slacks and jeans.

Thanks for the advice.
    Not a good idea. I did one night and promptly tripped and went right down ON TOP OF THE GUN. Scared the life out of me waiting for the BOOM!. Also not good to have the trigger exposed, accident waiting to happen, especially in an emergency, grab it in mid-adrenaline rush and you could squeeze the trigger, or get the hammer pulled back by clothing as you try to get it out quckly etc......... no thanks. Lots of good inexpensive pocket holsters around. I have a Desantis.

What he said.....plus it helps keep out pocket lint.
    Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Without the appropriate holster, I would be concerned about the Piece shifting in the pocket, even shifting into an inverted position. Not good if you have to grab it quickly.

A good pocket holster will always maintain the revolver, or any handgun, in an upright, good-to-go position.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

I at time carry my LCP in the pocket. BUT, not with a round in the chamber!
    As has been stated: Not real safe with a hot round.

Just be safe...

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

In Ohio, it is ILLEGAL to carry without a holster. I use a De Santis Nemesis for my S&W 642 when I pocket carry. Even if it wasn't illegal in OH, I wouldn't carry without a holster. Lint, dirt, shifting position in pocket, uncovered trigger, etc., are all reasons for using a holster of some type, regardless of the law.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

OK, so it seems the wise thing to do is carry in a holster. Now tell me which holster, in your opinion, would ride the deepest in my pocket.

Thanks for the advice.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I carry either of my guns in my pocket to/from the car since I don't wear a holster(since I technically am not supposed to have it at work/haven't received my permit in the mail yet). I am usually wearing 'work style' pants (i.e. Dickies), so my guns fit/don't roll around in my pocket. I don't mind doing so because my .45 has an external safety as well as trigger safety. My .357mag is, well, is a revolver.

I don't advise pocket, no holster for long periods. Just a short to/from the car, or maybe to the grocery store for a gallon of milk, that's all your call on what you are comfortable with.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links