OWB holster for training and classes?

OWB holster for training and classes?

This is a discussion on OWB holster for training and classes? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I'm really looking forward to doing my first bits of tactical firearms training this summer, both pistol and carbine. The classes should be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: OWB holster for training and classes?

Thumbs up OWB holster for training and classes?

Hi all,

I'm really looking forward to doing my first bits of tactical firearms training this summer, both pistol and carbine. The classes should be a great learning experience.

One piece of gear I don't yet have is a good OWB holster and mag pouches for my Glock 17 (and maybe 19) which I will run during the courses. I do have a Blackhawk Serpa, but one instructor doesn't allow them in class, and so I need an alternative. I think I want something without retention anyways.

I'm looking at both the Blade Tech SRB and the Sidearmor Modular OWB holsters, and mag pouches from either company as well.

Any comments on those two or other similar suggestions? I want something in Kydex, OWB, with belt loops as opposed to a paddle.

Thanks in advance, I know you guys are the right resource for experienced opinions on this!

Distinguished Member
    The Garrett Silent Thunder may be worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    The Garrett Silent Thunder may be worth considering.
    Hmm... thank you very much for the advice! The leather-lined Kydex is new to me, and definitely an interesting idea.

Just to throw another option in the mix: also looked at the Comp-Tac belt holster. Anyone care to comment on how it stacks up against the Blade Tech or Sidearmor?

PM sent.
    NRA Life Member

If you are willing to look at leather, I have a Blackhawk CQC #02 (G19). Its a leather slide with thumb retention. I wear it during the winter for OWB also, but use it all the time for training.

Quote Originally Posted by ks kid View Post
    If you are willing to look at leather, I have a Blackhawk CQC #02 (G19). Its a leather slide with thumb retention. I wear it during the winter for OWB also, but use it all the time for training.
    Still not entirely sold on leather for the type of training I'm wanting to do, but I'll certainly look into it.

Anyone have advice or opinions on the Kydex models listed in the OP?

How do you normally carry? If you don't normally carry OWB, then I don't see the point in getting such a holster for training. If your trainers won't let you train the way you normally carry, I'd suggest going to a different class.

I recently went to a low light pistol class, and I made sure it was OK to run it with my pocket holster and my LCP. I kept my spare mags in my pocket - just like I do on the street. I don't walk downtown with an OWB holster and mag pouches hanging off my belt. Train like you fight.

Just a thought.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    How do you normally carry? If you don't normally carry OWB, then I don't see the point in getting such a holster for training. If your trainers won't let you train the way you normally carry, I'd suggest going to a different class.

I recently went to a low light pistol class, and I made sure it was OK to run it with my pocket holster and my LCP. I kept my spare mags in my pocket - just like I do on the street. I don't walk downtown with an OWB holster and mag pouches hanging off my belt. Train like you fight.

Just a thought.
    +1

I'm of the opinion that you should train how you plan to fight, just my own opinion though.

Take care!

Luke

Gentlemen,

Thanks for bringing up the "train as you fight" opinion, I completely agree. The class I am taking which requires the belt holster is a combo carbine/pistol class, and so drawing from concealment in this class wouldn't be that practical.

If I'm ever in a situation in which I'm carrying a rifle in public (not likely hopefully!), I doubt I'd be wearing a sidearm concealed.

I am still interested in finding a "more advanced" concealed pistol class too, in which I would definitely use a concealment holster I use daily. Speaking of, 10thMtn, are you in Colorado? If so, any recommendations for firearm instructors?

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by mashir View Post
    Just to throw another option in the mix: also looked at the Comp-Tac belt holster. Anyone care to comment on how it stacks up against the Blade Tech or Sidearmor?
    Can't comment on the Sidearmor. Have and have used both Blade Tech and Comp-Tac. Blade Tech is good. Comp-Tac is better - quality stuff, good people.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

I'm not in CO, sorry I can't help you there.

I understand the class you are in - however, every time you draw your pistol in the class is a chance to practice. If you're doing it differently in the class than you would be on the street, you're missing an opportunity to train as you would fight. Worse, you could be ingraining some bad habits, like reaching for your pistol under stress where you don't usually carry it.

Whether or not you would keep your pistol concealed while using your rifle depends on the situation. If you are out and about with your normal concealed pistol and drive into a SHTF situation, and you have a rifle in your car's trunk, you may indeed still have your pistol in its normal concealment holster. So, practicing transitioning from a rifle to a concealed pistol is still valid - it all depends on the scenario you are training for. If you are defending your home with the rifle, then concealment is probably not an issue.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Good luck, and enjoy your class.
    First Sgt likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Depends on the specific type of training. If it's a carbine course that requires a sidearm as secondary, a drop holster such as the Safariland 6004 is popular and won't get in the way of your primary.

However, I am in league with those who say train with your normal gear. I've used a Fobus belt holster for my Glock and a Don Hume H721 (open top - no thumb break) for the 1911s. Neither is a high ride, so you have good access to the grip without serious body contortions.

Whose class(es) are you attending?
    mashir likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

cj
    I realize Uncle Mike's doesn't have a great reputation, but their 'kydex hip holster' line is very affordable, lightweight and fairly minimalist while providing decent retention, and with a little work, very functional for the role you describe. CDNN cleared a bunch out for $10 recently and I picked up a few.

Pros:
    • Sturdier than other molded holster styles I've seen. You're going to have a tough time snapping one off like some other cheap molded holsters
    • Good adjustable retention
    • 4 connection points attaching the belt loops to the holster
    • Available paddle/belt loops available (I use loops for everything and never even bothered to get the paddles)

Drawbacks I see are:
    • They're not actually kydex from what I can tell...they have flashing like molded plastic
    • They hold everything out pretty far from the belt...most probably wouldn't ever be able to use it as an OWB concealed holster as you could with other models
    • The BIG issue, and why they get poor reviews: the idiots loc-tited the 'adjustable' retention screws at a tightness where you just about can't remove a pistol from the holster. You need to get a properly sized screw in the back side of the Chicago screw setup, torque it to lock it in place, and use that leverage to crack the loc-tite. Remove and clean off the screws by running them through the threads a few times, and you're good to go.
    mashir likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I'm not in CO, sorry I can't help you there.

I understand the class you are in - however, every time you draw your pistol in the class is a chance to practice. If you're doing it differently in the class than you would be on the street, you're missing an opportunity to train as you would fight. Worse, you could be ingraining some bad habits, like reaching for your pistol under stress where you don't usually carry it.
    Valid insights, and I thank you for your thoughts. I will ask the instructor about drawing my secondary from concealment, I bet I could use my G19 with Comp-tac MTAC without much problem.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Depends on the specific type of training. If it's a carbine course that requires a sidearm as secondary, a drop holster such as the Safariland 6004 is popular and won't get in the way of your primary.

However, I am in league with those who say train with your normal gear. I've used a Fobus belt holster for my Glock and a Don Hume H721 (open top - no thumb break) for the 1911s. Neither is a high ride, so you have good access to the grip without serious body contortions.

Whose class(es) are you attending?
    An interesting approach. I thought a bit about a drop-leg holster, because it would be nicely out of the way. But this seems even further dissimilar from my normal carry methods. At least I'm still strong side, on/in the belt with either an IWB or OWB holster.

I am only looking at local classes so far, no big names. Some semi-private training with a firearms instructor for a local Sheriff's office, and a rifle class with these guys:
    Tactical Rifle 1 course including firearms safety and tactical gun handling - Makhaira Group

Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    I realize Uncle Mike's doesn't have a great reputation, but their 'kydex hip holster' line is very affordable, lightweight and fairly minimalist while providing decent retention, and with a little work, very functional for the role you describe. CDNN cleared a bunch out for $10 recently and I picked up a few.

Pros:
    • Sturdier than other molded holster styles I've seen. You're going to have a tough time snapping one off like some other cheap molded holsters
    • Good adjustable retention
    • 4 connection points attaching the belt loops to the holster
    • Available paddle/belt loops available (I use loops for everything and never even bothered to get the paddles)

Drawbacks I see are:
    • They're not actually kydex from what I can tell...they have flashing like molded plastic
    • They hold everything out pretty far from the belt...most probably wouldn't ever be able to use it as an OWB concealed holster as you could with other models
    • The BIG issue, and why they get poor reviews: the idiots loc-tited the 'adjustable' retention screws at a tightness where you just about can't remove a pistol from the holster. You need to get a properly sized screw in the back side of the Chicago screw setup, torque it to lock it in place, and use that leverage to crack the loc-tite. Remove and clean off the screws by running them through the threads a few times, and you're good to go.
    Thanks for the well thought-out reply. I have had one Uncle Mike's product, which failed on me, but I'll give it a look.

Much appreciated all around, fellas. Always great, knowledgeable advice here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links