Anybody use an OWB belt holster as an IWB holster?

This is a discussion on Anybody use an OWB belt holster as an IWB holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been frustrated trying to use various IWB tuckable holsters using Velcro clips and belt with a velcro lining. Invariably the velcro clips come off ...

Thread: Anybody use an OWB belt holster as an IWB holster?

Anybody use an OWB belt holster as an IWB holster?

I've been frustrated trying to use various IWB tuckable holsters using Velcro clips and belt with a velcro lining. Invariably the velcro clips come off the belt and the holster is pulling down on my pants.

It occured to me a few days ago to just put the whole belt and holster inside the pants and wear a regular belt on the outside. I was thinking something like a Galco Concealable holster with a Wilderness tactical belt with titanium buckle. Both would be pretty thin but still offer good support for my P239.

Anybody else ever try this? Thoughts on whether it would work?

2. Remove Ads

I have often thought about this too. I am right handed and was thinking of using a left handed OWB holster as a right handed IWB holster. God Bless

Get a Black Ops Pro from Pure Kustom (link at top of this page) and you can wear it either IWB or OWB.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I have never thought about this. Seems like wearing two belts would be kind of bulky and uncomfortable to me.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I have never thought about this. Seems like wearing two belts would be kind of bulky and uncomfortable to me.
    I agree. It sounds very uncomfortable to me too, and even more if the weather is hot. I think that if you get a quality belt and a quality holster it might solve your problem.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I've been using an MTAC with a Crossbreed belt with V-Clips. My problem is that when I sit down, the back v-clip often separates from the velcro lining in the belt and sometimes comes completely off. Then the holster isn't being supported by the belt in the back and starts pulling down on my pants. I have to reach back and try to reattach it while making all sorts of tacky velcro sounds. Not exactly conducive to deep concealment.

I went out and picked up a Galco Concealable at the local fun shop today and have it on now with a single thickness 6/7 oz leather belt under the pants. On the outside I've got a regular black leather dress belt. It works fantastic. Very comfortable and the thing feels like it's glued to my hip. Very easy to tuck the shirt in. When you hit the head you just hike it up around your belly. It never leaves your side. When I get a thinner 5.11 nylon web belt, I think it will be even better. The draw is ok too. The Concealable has a lot of cant so your not pulling straight up. I think pulling straight up with a straight drop holster would be more of an issue because there isn't anything to keep the belt from coming straight up with the gun.

My job requires a tucked in shirt and I'm mostly in a climate controlled setting, so this is just the ticket for me. I can see if you were working outside in the summer, it might get a little hot but I honestly don't think it would be any worse than a 1/4 inch thick belt and an IWB holster.

I think I'll keep the MTAC but put the regular belt clips back on it for just running around on the weekends when I can wear an untucked shirt. I'll try to get pics up in a couple days.

Jeff of Hays Holsters made me a OWB holster for my Ruger Police Service Six 4" bbl .357 revolver that also converts to an IWB holster. A couple screws and straps and there you go. No problem.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I can't have clips or loops on my belt line, otherwise I think the other holster options mentioned above would be fine alternatives.

That is really creative! If it works go with it.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

Links