Appendix Carry Question - Page 2

Appendix Carry Question

This is a discussion on Appendix Carry Question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gruntingfrog What holster is that? It looks like an Archangel except for the clip instead of loops. My own custom. Made in ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Appendix Carry Question

Quote Originally Posted by gruntingfrog View Post
    What holster is that? It looks like an Archangel except for the clip instead of loops.
    My own custom. Made in the kitchen with a heat gun.
    Minimal home-made Kydex
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    Every person's body is shaped different. Try sliding it to different positions until you find one that's comfortable. Also consider the possibility that you've chosen the wrong holster. I have several for my G26, but finally settled on the Galco Stow-N-Go
    It may not work for you. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone replied that I'm foolish (in a respectful manner of course) for 12 different reasons.
    I love the Stow-N-Go for my G26 and I also use one for my G36. I have several other AC Holsters but I favor the Stow-N-Go.

Quote Originally Posted by red13 View Post
    My own custom. Made in the kitchen with a heat gun.
    Minimal home-made Kydex
    Nice. Simple and clean.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

I carry my Ruger Sp 01 in an appendix carry rig. Like any other holster setup it has a "sweet spot" that is uniquely yours. You just have to find it. I move mine around and experiment with its placement until I find the spot that works for me. It different for different gun and holster combos. Just keep experimenting. It is there for you.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Administrator
    Like a lot of guys said before me, you just have to find the sweet spot. I carry a P228 apendix with a High Noon Public Secret. A little to far forward it will dig, move it back a inch or so, no problems at all. My 228 is a lot bigger and heavier than a G26, so with a good holster and fiddling around for the right position you should be just fine.
    Also, not to be a jerk, but if your gut hangs over your belt its going to be uncomfortable no matter what you do. Lay off the Twinkies and Soda for a bit and try again.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Like a lot of guys said before me, you just have to find the sweet spot. I carry a P228 apendix with a High Noon Public Secret. A little to far forward it will dig, move it back a inch or so, no problems at all. My 228 is a lot bigger and heavier than a G26, so with a good holster and fiddling around for the right position you should be just fine.
    Also, not to be a jerk, but if your gut hangs over your belt its going to be uncomfortable no matter what you do. Lay off the Twinkies and Soda for a bit and try again.
    Unfortunately why I dont carry Appendix
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    That's what threw me off when I started trying it. I don't have a gut. I've been trying to find that sweet spot and it seems to be about 12:30 or 1:00 for me. I think the main problem is my holster. I have a Galco tuckable straight drop IWB (I don't know the model). It doesn't sit high enough and the tuckable flap adds some bulk. I think I may need to try a kydex holster that rides higher.

- Mike Tyson

Administrator
    Yeah, I'd guess the holster is the problem too. Maybe look at something adjustable like a Comp-Tac. That will allow you the flexability to learn what you like with out wasting a lot of money. Once you figure out what works for you, you'll know exactly what to order.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by gruntingfrog View Post
    That's what threw me off when I started trying it. I don't have a gut. I've been trying to find that sweet spot and it seems to be about 12:30 or 1:00 for me. I think the main problem is my holster. I have a Galco tuckable straight drop IWB (I don't know the model). It doesn't sit high enough and the tuckable flap adds some bulk. I think I may need to try a kydex holster that rides higher.

Just using a higher riding holster without adding bottom length to the holster will only cause the holster to want to tip out over the top of your belt and conceal like crap. The length on an appendix holster is what keeps it from tipping out over the belt. You have to have length especially for the shorter polymer guns because most of the weight is in the grip (where all the bullets are) and above the belt-line.

You have to give your body a chance to adjust to the pressure of a holster in the groin area of your body. It kind of sucks, but you have to give it a chance. It could take a week carrying in that position before it becomes tolerable. Any added width to an appendix holster decreases the comfort of said holster. Why do you think most (not all) serious appendix carriers use Kydex type holsters? Because they know that extra width causes issues, and that their bodies can easily get use to wearing Kydex in that position.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    Just using a higher riding holster without adding bottom length to the holster will only cause the holster to want to tip out over the top of your belt and conceal like crap. The length on an appendix holster is what keeps it from tipping out over the belt. You have to have length especially for the shorter polymer guns because most of the weight is in the grip (where all the bullets are) and above the belt-line.
    That's a really good point that I hadn't thought much about. I think I'll just get a kydex AIWB holster (maybe one that I can adjust the ride height) and give it some more time.

Does anyone have recommendations of models that you can adjust? Sixto mentioned that Comp-Tac makes one. Any others?
    - Mike Tyson

I had the Comp-Tac Neutral Cant appendix holster (becuase I had 3 regular MTACs for other guns) for a Kahr P9 and I didn't like it much. Wasn't stable enough. Sometimes one of the clips would work it's way off the belt while seated. When you are bent over are in a seated position, you are putting a decent amount of pressure on the holster and its attachment points. It did not work for me. The other thing was that all the leather used for the back of the holster really is hot. It made me sweat in the Ga. heat.

The adjustability was great and nice, but it just didn't work the way it should for me.

You should consider the Shaggy by Custom Carry Concepts,LLC Shaggy, AIWB - Custom Carry Concepts,LLC
    or a Dale Fricke Archangel sold by OneSourceTactical.com.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

I've used High Noon's Public Secret for G26 & g30sf, as well as MS Summer Special 2 for Appendix carry for several years and yes it does take a little getting used to. It soon becomes second nature to make those slight adjustments when you sit to aid in comfort! I think sometimes we confuse comfort while carrying with regular comfort! Depending on time of year and dress, I'd much rather carry OWB in one of my High Noon Slide Guards or MS Summer Special 2 at 3-4 o'clock, but here in South Texas, the warm weather has a lot to do with how we dress around our carry! I think it's just a question of what level of comfort is acceptable to each of us! Good Luck....hope you find the comfort level your looking for!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

PS: Alessi Talon Plus is also very thin and comfortable for Appendix carry......also easy to make slight adjustments. Excellent Quality and Great people to deal with as are the guys at High Noon and Milt Sparks!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

I carry a Kahr PM9 AIWB. The two holsters I like best are the Dale Fricke Ehud and the Silent Thunder by Garrett. Both are great holsters.

I have a Silent Thunder on order from Garrett for my G26. If the USPS can find it, I hope to give it a try one of these days. I'll give my impressions once I've had a little time with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Willieboy View Post
    I carry a Kahr PM9 AIWB. The two holsters I like best are the Dale Fricke Ehud and the Silent Thunder by Garrett. Both are great holsters.

I have a Silent Thunder on order from Garrett for my G26. If the USPS can find it, I hope to give it a try one of these days. I'll give my impressions once I've had a little time with it.
    I'll be looking out for your review on the Garrett silnt thunder. I've been considering one for my g17 or g19
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links