Appendix Carry Question

This is a discussion on Appendix Carry Question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a question for all you who appendix carry. I've been trying out appendix carry with my Glock 26 around the house for a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Appendix Carry Question

Question Appendix Carry Question

I have a question for all you who appendix carry. I've been trying out appendix carry with my Glock 26 around the house for a couple of days and like the way it conceals when I'm standing. Plus, if it prints it looks a lot like a cell phone in a belt holder so I really don't worry about it at all.

My concern is when I sit. I tend to sit upright or even a little leaned forward away from the back of the chair (not slouched back like many people). When seated, the barrel digs into the crease between my leg and groin, and the grip digs into my stomach. This is not a large gun by any means and I don't even have a large gut to blame on this.

What is your experience? Is there a way to position the holster so the gun doesn't dig in when seated, or do you all just slouch/recline a lot?
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

2. Remove Ads

I know what you mean and have found that adjusting so that the barrel is even more toward the midline (approx 12:30 to 1:00) helps a lot. So does a holster that lets the gun ride a little higher. I use a Dale Fricke 'Archangel' and for me, it is just right with regard to carry height. Finally, I also find that adjusting toward a little more forward cant, makes the grip more comfortable.
    Took a while to find the best spot, don't give up.
    tmoore912 and bps3040 like this.

Every person's body is shaped different. Try sliding it to different positions until you find one that's comfortable. Also consider the possibility that you've chosen the wrong holster. I have several for my G26, but finally settled on the Galco Stow-N-Go
    It may not work for you. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone replied that I'm foolish (in a respectful manner of course) for 12 different reasons.

FAQ for us over here Questions

Alex
    High Noon Holsters
    www.HighNoonHolsters.com

I've been carrying appendix for several weeks now. An LCR in a sideguard holster (love the metal clip design). I move around a lot during the day, sitting, standing, bending every ten minutes or so. I find this to be a very easy way to carry and comfortable... for about four hours, then it really starts driving me nuts. Maybe my groin area is too sensitive? But the end of the holster has created a large pressure spot by then and it gets downright painful if I am doing anything but standing. The gun does shift a lot, which I have found with other single clip designs, but I think this helps it "self adjust" to my movements. But then the movement might actually work against me and maybe it's the cause of the sensitive area created. I keep toughing it out in hopes the area becomes desensitized. My thoughts anyway.

I'll second what Vtxdpm said. I had the same problem, and found that a slightly higher ride fixed it. I carry an SR9c AIWB all day long. It takes some getting used to, but it works well for me.

I use a Remora No-Clip holster, and a High Noon Mr. Softy.

You just gotta experiment with different angles, etc. Be persistent and you'll find something that works.

You may have to try different holsters, too. The Archangel, mentioned above, has many positive reviews. I'm personally considering a CrossBreed QuickClip...
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I use a Remora holster for my appendix carry as well. It wraps my G27 well, so therefore it sort of buffers the areas you're talking about poking you. Other than positioning for best results/access/draw.......nobody said CC would ever be totally comfortable. I realize that many folks might be turned off to actually carrying on their body concealed for the reasons of comfort. You only feel discomfort and pain while you're alive. If the position you wish to carry in is the best option for you, then you're somewhat limited. Sometimes the options might come down to two simple choices.........carrying or not carrying. What's a little bit of discomfort?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I use a Remora No-Clip holster, and a High Noon Mr. Softy.

You just gotta experiment with different angles, etc. Be persistent and you'll find something that works.

You may have to try different holsters, too. The Archangel, mentioned above, has many positive reviews. I'm personally considering a CrossBreed QuickClip...
    I agree with zacil you need to try several holsters to see what fits your needs and physique. I settled on a High Noon Public Secret for my G-19 and G-23. I am tall and slender so carrying at 1-2 O'clock works well for me.
    photo.jpg
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I've been carrying almost exclusively appendix for a little over 3 years now. I'm not tall, about 5'10" 195# Athletic build. It took me a full week of carrying appendix for my body to get adjusted to having a holster putting pressure on that area.(This is crucial. You have to give your body time to adjust.). Then it took several more days to find the sweet spot. It was mentioned earlier, but because all of our bodies are different, you might want to move the holster closer to the mid-line to keep the holster from digging into your leg/ groin area.

Finding the right holster is important. I use a Dale Fricke Archangel that is awesome for me, but I know others that can't wear them. I had to buy several holsters, before finding the one. You will have your best luck with holsters made exclusively for appendix carry, imo. Good luck.

Read this thread. Lots of great info on appendix carry. A lot of these shooters on this forum carry appendix. AIWB (Appendix Carry))
    Vtxdpm likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    Read this thread. Lots of great info on appendix carry. A lot of these shooters on this forum carry appendix. AIWB (Appendix Carry))
    Thanks! That's a great thread.
    - Mike Tyson

sparrow5.jpg

I carry my 27 like this, in a kydex I made. as you can see, it's low and towards the middle. I'm 5'5" and 147 lb and I carry like this all the time, siting, driving. So it can be done, even if your small.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by red13 View Post
    sparrow5.jpg

I carry my 27 like this, in a kydex I made. as you can see, it's low and towards the middle. I'm 5'5" and 147 lb and I carry like this all the time, siting, driving. So it can be done, even if your small.
    What holster is that? It looks like an Archangel except for the clip instead of loops.
    - Mike Tyson

Try appendix carry, but OWB. A straight drop high ride holster works, I use a between the belt and pants holster from Rhome Desbins. I cannot do IWB in that position personally.

Quote Originally Posted by gruntingfrog View Post
    What holster is that? It looks like an Archangel except for the clip instead of loops.
    He said he made it himself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links