XD SC Holster options suggestions?

This is a discussion on XD SC Holster options suggestions? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I tried search but unfortunately XD and SC seem to be too short of a term to search on. So here comes a question ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OK, I tried search but unfortunately XD and SC seem to be too short of a term to search on. So here comes a question that I know has probably been asked before:

School me on holsters please. I'm abotu 5'7" and about 150lbs. I mostly wear tshirts and polo shirts and I'm looking to primarily carry and XD SC. So what are my choices? I think I like the looks of the crossbreed hoslters but I'm not sure if I like what they show in samples being that you draw on the shooting side: it looks like the gun might be a bit on the high side to be able to be able to smoothly draw without any hangups should the need arise. So I was thinking that it might be more prudent to have it on the opposite side (I'm right handed so that means on the left) and draw across the front?

Also what are other options/choices/suggestions? I'm primarily in warm weather so light outer wear is the key (heck it must have hit about 110F by my office today). I have been reading quite a bit and getting more confused by the minute as it seems that each particular application is different from the other. Oh yeah, I realize that I will probably (definately?) end up with more then one holster in the long run and some of them will end up being a total bust but I want to try and limit the trial and error experience as much as I can by hearing opinions and advice of those who have already went through the process.

Thanks

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Huzar
    OK, I tried search but unfortunately XD and SC seem to be too short of a term to search on. So here comes a question that I know has probably been asked before:

School me on holsters please. I'm abotu 5'7" and about 150lbs. I mostly wear tshirts and polo shirts and I'm looking to primarily carry and XD SC. So what are my choices? I think I like the looks of the crossbreed hoslters but I'm not sure if I like what they show in samples being that you draw on the shooting side: it looks like the gun might be a bit on the high side to be able to be able to smoothly draw without any hangups should the need arise. So I was thinking that it might be more prudent to have it on the opposite side (I'm right handed so that means on the left) and draw across the front?

Also what are other options/choices/suggestions? I'm primarily in warm weather so light outer wear is the key (heck it must have hit about 110F by my office today). I have been reading quite a bit and getting more confused by the minute as it seems that each particular application is different from the other. Oh yeah, I realize that I will probably (definately?) end up with more then one holster in the long run and some of them will end up being a total bust but I want to try and limit the trial and error experience as much as I can by hearing opinions and advice of those who have already went through the process.

Thanks
    With an XD it is often helpful to have a holster with the belt clips offset so they are not adding width to an already wide gun. It smooths out the imprint of the gun and holster. The crossbreed is set up that way as are several other choices like our Tucker Texas Heritage.

The ride height you noticed is designed to allow for a full firing grip. Placing the gun lower means you have to pick it out of the holster with thumb and forefinger and then regrip it when drawing. Not good in an emergency.

I don't recommend crossdraw for concealed carry unless you are also trained to stop your opponent from blocking your draw. Many times your adversary is very close when things turn sour. Strong side, just behind the hip is recommended. You can draw quickly and shield your drawstroke with your body if necessary.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Longenecker

The ride height you noticed is designed to allow for a full firing grip. Placing the gun lower means you have to pick it out of the holster with thumb and forefinger and then regrip it when drawing. Not good in an emergency.
    I was actualy comparing mentally the height along the lines of waist level versus hip level.

I don't recommend crossdraw for concealed carry unless you are also trained to stop your opponent from blocking your draw. Many times your adversary is very close when things turn sour. Strong side, just behind the hip is recommended. You can draw quickly and shield your drawstroke with your body if necessary.
    That's something I did not consider. Thanks for pointing that out.

Huzar,
    Hot weather, tee shirts and shorts = OWB holster, worn on strong side with belt slots equal to belt width. Try this set-up first and you may not have a drawer full of holsters.
    Follow this great link for a comprehensive article on concealed carry holster selection .....http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/ccw/ccw_holsters.htm
    Hope this helps
    Last edited by 2cam2go; July 25th, 2006 at 07:54 PM.
    2cam2go
    www.sunriseleather.com
    NYPD (Ret)
    "Form follows function".....Frank Lloyd Wright

Sponsor
    I was actualy comparing mentally the height along the lines of waist level versus hip level.
    I was speaking of height above the belt.

I concur with Rob - strong side is a much safer carry position than is a crossdraw. You'll also find that the draw stroke from a strong side holster will naturally put the muzzle of the firearm in line with the target. A crossdraw, by contrast, will cause you to "swing" past your attacker, and you will waste precious time (that you probably won't have) correcting your sight allignment.
    Please feel free to give us a call and we can discuss your specific situation in more detail (and I won't twist your arm to buy a holster ).

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland
    I concur with Rob - strong side is a much safer carry position than is a crossdraw. You'll also find that the draw stroke from a strong side holster will naturally put the muzzle of the firearm in line with the target. A crossdraw, by contrast, will cause you to "swing" past your attacker, and you will waste precious time (that you probably won't have) correcting your sight allignment.
    Never thought about that (the swing past the target part) but it makes a lot of sense.

I was going to recommend a Brommeland Max Con V, as far as I am concerned the ideal concealed carry holster. I see that Gary Brommeland himself has chimed in. Take his advice - he knows whereof he speaks.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Have you tried the holsters at Crossbreed?

www.crossbreedholsters.com

Will
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the rights of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. 2nd Amendment.

For Those Who FOUGHT For It FREEDOM Has a Flavor the Protected WILL NEVER KNOW.
    SEMPER FI!!

RTK
    You are fortunate, the XDSC is very popular and they are many choices out there for concealment rigs. It is very nice to be able to post a question here and have the opportunity to even have a couple of the finest holster builders answer your questions. Always keep in mind that #1. you get what you pay for, and #2. A holster only works as good as the belt that supports it.

Quote Originally Posted by RTK
    You are fortunate, the XDSC is very popular and they are many choices out there for concealment rigs. It is very nice to be able to post a question here and have the opportunity to even have a couple of the finest holster builders answer your questions.
    yup, that definitely is nice
    Always keep in mind that #1. you get what you pay for, and #2. A holster only works as good as the belt that supports it.
    in regards to the belt, is there anything else needed appart from it being able to support weight? Mine is leather and about 1.5 to 2 inches wide.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I will add ++++'s on the belt. I was using a heavy work belt and thought it was working but having trouble with the gun tipping out. Just got my new belt from Wilderness and there is no comparrison the gun it now in tight aginst my side and is more comfortable to boot. So for me the belt make the holster work not the other way around.

Bill

yup, that definitely is nice

in regards to the belt, is there anything else needed appart from it being able to support weight? Mine is leather and about 1.5 to 2 inches wide.
    Howdy!

A properly designed/constructed gunbelt will ALWAYS be made from two layers of full grain (smooth) leather. About 90% of the strength in a given piece of leather lies in the first 1/10th inch. Merely making a belt thicker does very little to make it more capable of supporting the weight of a firearm. Doubling up that grain surface is critical in obtaining the lateral stability and strength necessary for supporting a concealment holster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links