A big bad Tuckable IWB 1911 list! I figured out which one I want, but hey

This is a discussion on A big bad Tuckable IWB 1911 list! I figured out which one I want, but hey within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering some options for a tuckable IWB LH CC of a Springfield 1911 5", and I'm starting to feel like I'm wading through a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: A big bad Tuckable IWB 1911 list! I figured out which one I want, but hey

I'm considering some options for a tuckable IWB LH CC of a Springfield 1911 5", and I'm starting to feel like I'm wading through a sea of un-ending fantastic options, with no real clear idea what is best or what the drawbacks might be. Here are my requirements, and personal considerations so far.

I want my holster to;
    1 - Fit me well. I'm 6'3", and I tend to run about 200lbs (more often 210lbs+ if I'm honest). Think thin'sh, but a bit out of shape.
    2 - Fit my gun well. I don't worry about it damaging the finish of the gun, if it's held securely and I can access it well. If the gun looks worse for wear, so be it.
    3 - I am typically way too warm, no matter what season (and I live in Ohio). I sweat if I look at a jacket too hard. It's critical that my CC be effective in the least warm clothing possible, and not self destruct if I sweat on it.
    4 - I'm not made of money, by any measure; I'd like to buy half of the holsters on the list, but will probably need to just buy one for this time around.
    5 - I'm a gun guy that's not actually into the social scene. Mostly due to point #4, I can't afford the ammo on a regular basis, so I don't have a group of friends that I can turn to with this. I've found fantastic online communities for woodworking, computer games, and now gunnery. I appreciate you guys a lot for the mountains of information I've already plowed through here on these forums!

Without further delay, here are the contenders I've got in the running. I tried to keep the formatting consistent so it would be easy to compare and contrast the types/delays/materials. I added my comments about things that made sense to me.

Milt Sparks Versa Max II (2) (leather) (delay: 22-30 weeks)
    ($114)

- comes with normal leather loops for notuck
    - can be made tuckable via Kydex clips for $18 extra)
    - it's a Milt. Let's face it, there's something magical seeming about this guy's work, and I will need to own one eventually.

Cross Breed SuperTux Delux (Kydex, leather paddle against skin) (delay: 1 month) ($70)
    - due to the barrel not being completely covered, tends to rub through pants materials and push gun up out of holster a bit (at least according to some posts)
    - huge amount of leather pressing against body, would likely be extremely comfortable in cold weather, killer in the heat
    - ugly with good reasons, but ugly as sin

Raven Phantom (Kydex) (delay: 16-18 weeks) ($75)
    - requires additional purchase of C Clips ($15)
    - no body shield, strictly a Kydex molding with modular options
    - very nice and tight looking for OWB, but super uncomfortable looking for IWB

Comp-tac Minotaur MTAC (Kydex, leather paddle against skin) (2 day production time) ($85)
    - adjustable cant is nice
    - full barrel length coverage avoids the "push up" problem the Crossbreed holster has

UBG Becker (leather) (3-4 weeks) ($90)
    - single metal clip holds it in place (seems a lot less stabile than a two clip option, and this is a spring steel clip-on vs a c-clip or larger
    - has small leather body shield

Tucker Texas Heritage (leather) (4 weeks) ($100)
    - dual C clips are an option without extra cost
    - the non reinforced mouth doesn't worry me particularly
    - exposed bolts holding the belt brackets to the holster look like they would snag/wear on pants, which is not cool

Woolfe Gunleather Lone Wolf T ($98) (4 weeks)
    - clips attach with two screws (this seems most stabile, but could also mean it's less versatile for fitting), and the screws sit down flush with the brackets
    - the non reinforced mouth doesn't worry me particularly

I haven't ordered anything yet, but I am fairly sold on the Woolfe, as it seems to do what I need, and the wait isn't horrible.

Welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware! As long as you get something you like and it works for you, your good to go. Myself, when I think holster, I think Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro. Check the link at the top of this page and see what you think.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware! As long as you get something you like and it works for you, your good to go. Myself, when I think holster, I think Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro. Check the link at the top of this page and see what you think.
    I did look them over, but didn't see anything on their product line that was tuckable - and I'd like to snag something I can tuck a shirt into for my first semi-expensive holster.

edit; thanks for the warm welcome! I'm glad to be here :)

I'm kind of a "minimalist" guy, got some love handles on my 5'11" frame, but I'm real fond of the Milt Sparks Summer Special for my 1911s. Easy on, easy off, and it doesn't take of acres of body space like the Super Tuck. Also occupies lestt belt space than the Versa max. And here's the good part - Brownell's usually has the Summer Special II in stock for 1911s.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to DC!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I know I'm going to get smoked for this but don't you think a full size 1911 is a little big for IWB carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Billspider View Post
    I know I'm going to get smoked for this but don't you think a full size 1911 is a little big for IWB carry?
    It is thinner than my .38 S&W Bodyguard. Very flat, very easy seeming to fit there. If the weight can be correctly managed with a decent gun belt, it sure seems perfect for it. I also spent a few hours and read the entire photo thread here;
    Let's See Your Pic's - How You Carry Concealed.

There seems to be just scads of folks handling 1911's easily, and it seems a crime to not carry it.

Not at all. The slender profile of the 1911 makes IWB carry far easier than for Glocks, Sigs, M+Ps, XDs and the like.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

GM
    You might want to check the DC Tuckable from H.B.E. Specialty LeatherWorks, http://www.hbeleatherworks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

Not at all. The slender profile of the 1911 makes IWB carry far easier than for Glocks, Sigs, M+Ps, XDs and the like.

Yep, gasmitty is right, a Government or Commander sized 1911 can easily be carried and concealed.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I am 6'2" 230lbs. My favorite holster is the Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC with a full FBI cant for my full size 1911. You will not be sorry.

Others to consider"

Tucker The Answer (I have one)
    leather lined Kydex for 15 dollars more
    30 day wait (app,)
    I carry a 5" Kimber in it. Great workmanship and comfortable
    I wish there was more leather behind the beavertail but not a deal breaker IMO
    The deal maker was the leather lined Kydex to protect the finish

Galco King Tuck

PS-Welcome to DC. Great forum

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snider View Post
    I did look them over, but didn't see anything on their product line that was tuckable - and I'd like to snag something I can tuck a shirt into for my first semi-expensive holster.

edit; thanks for the warm welcome! I'm glad to be here :)
    My Black Ops Pro is tuckable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Thanks Dave!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Kustom View Post
    My Black Ops Pro is tuckable.
    Oh, good to know, I totally missed that. Your work is very nice looking, and seems hugely popular. I could see putting in an order here at some point!

Great video

A picture/video is worth a thousand..ok, a million words. Nice to see a guy with a fluffy build such as myself

Will have to look into this holster...does everything I need. Thanks guys.
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Made my own tuckable IWB out of my Don Hume 721 OT. It holds my AC Commander just fine and I find this gun more concealable than my previous two, an SD40 Smith and a CZ P01. It is heavier, but a good belt takes care of that.
    Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links