Tried my hand at making a Kydex holster

Tried my hand at making a Kydex holster

This is a discussion on Tried my hand at making a Kydex holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, after having a heck of a time finding a decent holster for my PT140, I decided to take a crack at making one. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Tried my hand at making a Kydex holster

Thumbs up Tried my hand at making a Kydex holster

Well, after having a heck of a time finding a decent holster for my PT140, I decided to take a crack at making one. I think it turned out pretty good. It took me a bit to get the hang of it, and out of three sheets of Kydex I wound up with this holster, a holster for my Dad's Beretta .25, and a double mag pouch for my Sigma.

I've already ordered another 8 sheets in assorted colors, so I think this is going to be a new hobby for me.

Oh, and whoever says you can't screw up Kydex, is WRONG! lol. I made the mistake of leaving a couple pieces in the oven for about a minute too long and they shriveled up like prunes. Those two pieces that should have been a holster for my Sigma wound up being belt loops.

Sorry for the crappy pics, I took them with my cell phone.

azchevy likes this.

Awesome! Looks really good. Where are you buying your kydex, and what gauge do you use? One question, isn't it a bit high under the grip? I'd think the kydex edge would catch your fingers. I like the clean geometric look, but a little relief cut under there might help... but then again maybe it works just fine for the way you grab.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

GM
    Looks good!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member

Thumbs up

That looks like a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by red13 View Post
    Awesome! Looks really good. Where are you buying your kydex, and what gauge do you use? One question, isn't it a bit high under the grip? I'd think the kydex edge would catch your fingers. I like the clean geometric look, but a little relief cut under there might help... but then again maybe it works just fine for the way you grab.
    Exactly what i was thinking. Looks like you could get a full combat grip there.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by red13 View Post
    You know, I thought the same thing, and I may still cut some away, but it actually draws pretty good the way it is. This one is made from .06 kydex, but I've ordered some .08 and .093 in urban camo and coyote brown. I get it from Knifekits.

Nice work, working with kydex gets addictive.

cj
    Any pics of the double magazine pouch? I've been toying with layouts lately :)

With all of my leather shopping (and recently placed order for a custom rig), I have been eyeing this hobbyist approach with great interest. Nice work on that holster sir, it looks quite functional and sharp! I may have to order up some sheets for my own tinkering soon with examples like this to draw from!

Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    Any pics of the double magazine pouch? I've been toying with layouts lately :)

That was the very first thing I made, so it's far from perfect, but it is functional. The screw in the middle is for retention, and, with it adjusted right, it feels and sounds just like putting the mag in a gun. It holds it pretty tight, but it pops right out at the right angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Snider View Post
    With all of my leather shopping (and recently placed order for a custom rig), I have been eyeing this hobbyist approach with great interest. Nice work on that holster sir, it looks quite functional and sharp! I may have to order up some sheets for my own tinkering soon with examples like this to draw from!
    Thanks! I've been toying with the idea of making a Crossbreed Supertuck style holster, and I have to make a trip on Friday that will take me right by a good leather wholesaler, so I think that's going to be next.

Nice job. Holster making, leather, kydex, whatever, is addictive. The only treatment is buy more guns.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Great looking gear!!! Especially for a first try...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Haystacker View Post
    Nice job. Holster making, leather, kydex, whatever, is addictive. The only treatment is buy more guns.
    Ain't that the truth. I'm already looking at a 1911 and a Beretta 92 at the LGS. Just gotta decide which one I want more. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Great looking gear!!! Especially for a first try...
    Thanks! I was surprised at how well it came out. It's really comfortable too. I had to tweak the bend by the belt loop, but once I got it right I could barely tell it was there.

Made a SuperTuck style holster for my Sigma yesterday. Works great!

This is becoming quite addicting.

Nice!
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links