fanny packs

This is a discussion on fanny packs within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If a fanny pack is your choice, it's hard to find a better pack than a Hawke Pak! Hawkepaks.com, Inc. for EMS, PPE supplies...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: fanny packs

VIP Member
    If a fanny pack is your choice, it's hard to find a better pack than a Hawke Pak!

Hawkepaks.com, Inc. for EMS, PPE supplies
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

2. Remove Ads

I'm not a fan of fanny packs but I have one made by Eagle Industry. I bought the small size pack and put a medium size holster in it. It will accomodate a gun as large as a G26.

I use a tommys gun pak a lot. Look for a pak with the buckle in the front and heavy zippers and stitching. The Tommy paks have it all. I don't care if the good guys know I carry..so what?: cops know...I have a permit and after three years of using a pak I've never had to show my permit: if the bad guys know, they'll find an easier target. I don't see a downside except speed and the Tommy pak have a second buckle for fast access to the gun.
    surefire7 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I use a 5.11 pack in a non-traditional way. Don't under-estimate the use of the fanny pack. It can be used in a variety of ways as a means of storing your firearm in a non-conspicuous way.

I like the 5.11 pack. It's a bit on the pricey side but it's well made and I suspect will give me many years of service.

DCG

I have a Tommy's pack and they are solid. Overall I don't use it too much but it works well if you are just running out to throw the trash out or going to the gym. It is fairly fast and doesn't look as bad as some "gun" fanny packs.
    Glock 19
    Springfield XD45
    Para Ord SF-45-A

Being a victim is a choice, it doesn't have to be yours - Support Concealed Carry on Campus

tracker 1,

You might want to take a look at the holsters that are made by Pistol Wear. I use there PT-ONE holster for jogging, working out at the gym or any other active lifestyle activity I do. I have been using one for a while and works well for me. It is made out of neoprene and is really comfortable and keeps the gun dry when I sweat, but it doesn't have the space a fanny pack has. It only has enough room for the gun and a magazine. It is designed to be worn a little low on the hips instead of on the waist. (This helps reduce the bouncing of the gun). It also takes a un-tucked shirt or t-shirt to conceal it. Good luck.

I worked out this morning and ran a couple miles afterward with it on carrying my Glock 17.

GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!

But if you must the HawkePak Micro Gun Pack is better than most. I may look into that PT holster for running.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    tracker 1,

You might want to take a look at the holsters that are made by Pistol Wear. I use there PT-ONE holster for jogging, working out at the gym or any other active lifestyle activity I do. I have been using one for a while and works well for me. It is made out of neoprene and is really comfortable and keeps the gun dry when I sweat, but it doesn't have the space a fanny pack has. It only has enough room for the gun and a magazine. It is designed to be worn a little low on the hips instead of on the waist. (This helps reduce the bouncing of the gun). It also takes a un-tucked shirt or t-shirt to conceal it. Good luck.

I worked out this morning and ran a couple miles afterward with it on carrying my Glock 17.

How do you draw from this? I looked at their website and they offer very little details or pictures of how the holsters work.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by symr00 View Post
    How do you draw from this? I looked at their website and they offer very little details or pictures of how the holsters work.
    There's a video on the home page of that site showing the draw.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    If a fanny pack is your choice, it's hard to find a better pack than a Hawke Pak!

Hawkepaks.com, Inc. for EMS, PPE supplies
    NOT impressed with this website.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    tracker 1,

Very impressive design and does a great job of concealing your pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by symr00 View Post
    The gun sits in a pouch on the front of your body. The top of the pouch is open, so all you have to do is slip you hand in and grab the gun. It does have a little loop that can be used to close the open top. It uses a magnet to secure the loop. I don't use the loop because it slows down the draw. The neoprene is so stretchy that it creates enough retension to keep the gun from moving anywhere or falling out of the pouch if you had to go to ground.

This is how the gun is positioned and sits on the pouch.

Here are some pics with the holster worn outside my shorts.

This is how it looks from the top while being worn.

GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

There are two words that come to mind when I see a fanny pack, and they both start with "G".

VIP Member
    I use my Smart Carry or Galco Belly Band. The PT-One looks interesting. Wife offered to stich "Shoot me first" with a target on my fanny pack before I ditched it.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I kept it simple

HD fanny pack.jpgLCR fanny pack.jpgHD Pack - Holster.jpgMost gun-specific fanny packs look as if there's a gun inside. They are also thick with retention devices or velcro panels. Concealed carry isn't supposed to broadcast the fact I'm carrying a weapon. So, I chose to go with a Harley Davidson fanny pack that is pretty small (8"W x 5"H x 3"D). In addition to a Bar and Shield logo patch on the front of the pack, the belt spells out Harley Davidson in big print which should keep someone from guessing there's a revolver inside. There is ample room for my LCR and two speedloaders or my Glock 23 and a spare magazine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links