fanny packs

This is a discussion on fanny packs within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i need a small fanny pack that is fast to draw. anyone have any experience with a good one?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: fanny packs

fanny packs

i need a small fanny pack that is fast to draw. anyone have any experience with a good one?

2. Remove Ads

the problem with many "gun" fanny packs is they look like your carrying a gun..i prefer just a regular fanny pack that can be bought at your local sporting goods store or even online..with a few modifications,they work just fine..

YouTube - Yes It's a Fanny Pack But I'm Not German (aka Gun Fanny Packs Done Right)

VIP Member
    The 5.11 fanny pack that goes with the sling pack seems to be a good design. The TDI fanny pack is also very small. They all seem to have followed the Hawkepaks Micro Gunpak design. They have 2 designs and are very reasonable at $34.95 & $44.95. The 5.11 and TDI packs may be smaller by comparison. The smallest one I have seen is the Eagle runners gunpack, but it only holds something the size of a 642 or SP-101.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I made my own. Nutnfancy (youtube) has a video where he shows how he converted a cheapo walmart fanny pack to carry his preferred edc. Essentially, find one that's big enough for your gun, then cut out any interior pockets on the body side of the main pocket. Cut a piece of plexi/lexan to be the approximate shape of the pack so it can fit inside on the back wall. Get a pocket holster (cheapo uncle mike's or equivalent) and a good selection of velcro.

back wall of fanny pack
    sew-on velcro to back wall
    ----
    sticky velcro
    plexi
    sticky velcro
    ----
    sticky/sew-on velcro
    pocket holster

I ended up wrapping a velcro strap around the pocket holster and plexi just to help hold it on. It takes some testing to get the gun to fit just right - I ended up angling mine so I wouldn't need a retention strap. My draws are about on par with a tuckable IWB holster. I keep a Beretta 85F in there for dog walking or bike riding. If you want pics, I can take a few and post them up here.

Cool

I use this in medium for my G-19,23 and 36. Good quality resonable price.

CCWSUPPLY.BIZ - Plain-Front Leather Fanny Pack Holster
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

You'll look like a CIA agent, of which many carry in a fanny pack. LOL

There are a lot of motorcycle fanny packs, that are set up with holsters inside to carry a gun.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

i looked at the 511 and it looks like that might work. i am going to use it to walk trails in a public park in the summer and with the summer clothes i wear i can't conceal in the hotter months. although i'm not hot on the fanny pack but i see no other option. as far as style or it screams gun i don't care, i'm old.

I have a fanny pack that I got about 25-30 years ago...I use to carry it in the 80's with my S&W 646 .357 in it...But now in the year 2011 I have one problem with it...it's a fanny pack.

I bought a fanny pack from Sportsman Guide. It is made of black sheep skin. It uses velcro either left or right opening. It holds both my Cougar 8000 as well as my 586 revolver. $19.95
    JBPDXOR
    Cougar 8000 9mm
    S&W 586 4" 357
    Winchester Defender 12g

I have a Bianchi Ranger fanny pack that's about 18 years old.
    Great bag with Velcro closer for the gun compartment. I would love to get another.
    They came in fair colors and don't stand out.

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

I use the 5.11 as well. it is small and fits tight to the body. I run in it and it keeps the pistol secure, no flopping around. There is room for a gun and spare mags, no xtra pockets for any thing else. the side pockets are so small as to be useless, you could probably get an ipod shuffle or a couple of keys in there, but not much else. It is made really well and the belt stays tight. I think I only paid about $25.

Maybe It's just were I have lived but I would think wearing a fanny pack at all would attract major attention to you, I can't speak for other parts of the country but I haven't seen a fanny pack since the early early 90's. Maybe hiking or something, but aside from that I'd think that wouldn't look normal.

I used a fanny pack when riding my bike till i started getting mouth from my wife.
    She said a fanny pack now days says Hi im carrying a gun to everyone.
    Got me a good bellyband.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alafan View Post
    I used a fanny pack when riding my bike till i started getting mouth from my wife.
    Was it getting in the way? Sorry! Sorry! I had to...

Anyway, I agree with your wife. Anytime I see a fanny pack, I assume it probably has a gun in it.

Granted, I am a bit biased, as most here are. We look for the signs. Most people probably would not. They would see a fanny pack and just think "80s"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links