Kydex vs Leather pictorial and review

This is a discussion on Kydex vs Leather pictorial and review within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a variety of leather and kydex holsters for all of my guns and thought I might do a comparison between two of the ...

Thread: Kydex vs Leather pictorial and review

Kydex vs Leather pictorial and review

I have a variety of leather and kydex holsters for all of my guns and thought I might do a comparison between two of the most common. For Kydex we have a Comp-Tac MTAC and for leather we ahve a Milt Sparks VMII.

First up is the Kydex. THe first picture will show you what holes I have the clips set on.

This holster is very comfortable and really stays in place. A lot of holsters tend to creep around your waistline as you go through the day but this one really stays glued in the original spot.

It is very easy to get a combat grip on it when you go to draw and stays open for easy reholstering. When I first got the holster Comp-Tac had put a dimple in the trigger guard area to increase renention. I very quickly got out the heat gun and removed it. Now the draw is very smooth.

The only negative thing I can say about this holster is the clips are a little flimsy. I like the all metal clips that come with some other hybrid holsters. I tried the "C" clips and they tend to come loose from the belt if you move around a lot.

Next up is the Milt Sparks.

Great holster! To me this is the holster I measure all other leather IWB holster against.

The throat of it has re-enforcing so it stays open when you draw. Not sure but I think it is actually a metal band or kydex sewn into the top of it. Very comfortable for all day wear.

The two negatives I have is the leather loops are cut a little short. Mine are for a 1 1/2" belt but with a dual layer leather belt they tend to come unsnapped. I eventually permanantely closed the snaps and now thread my belt through it. The other negative is it tends to shift around if you are active. I find myself shifting it back to it's original spot a few times a day.

Just for good measure I am including two pictures of a Comp-Tac single mag carrier.

I have one of these for each gun I have as well. When I first get them I break out the heat gun and reshape the belt clip so it pushes the top of the mag into my body and keeps it from printing. Maybe Comp-Tac sets them up for competition? Not sure but when you first get them they print like crazy.

2. Remove Ads

Good review. Thanks for posting.
    NRA Life Member

Links