Pic Request

Pic Request

This is a discussion on Pic Request within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any of you folks have pics of a Brommeland DEF-CON??? Just curious how different guns look in it. I'm giving consideration to one for my ...

Thread: Pic Request

Pic Request

Any of you folks have pics of a Brommeland DEF-CON??? Just curious how different guns look in it. I'm giving consideration to one for my USPc .45.

I'm also thinking about a Sparks I-BAK.
    OPE Prostaff
    www.outdoorproductexchange.com

Sitting Ducks Ltd. Prostaff
    http://www.sittingducks-ltd.com/

google image search

got this on a google image search:

http://images.google.com/images?svnu...defcon&spell=1

VIP Member
    Here's one.
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=9159
    Look at the third post.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Question Galco Look-Alike?

Quote Originally Posted by threeonebravo
    That thing looks EXACTLY like my favorite model of GALCO: The "Concealable" model with the added advantage of a body shield.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I have two Def Con's coming from Gary. They should be here sometime next week. One is for a G-27 and one is for a Springfield 1911. I'll post some pics when they get here.

Here's a Max Con V w/ Kimber TC ll

I know You wanted a Def Con Pic, but I thought I would throw this in for an educated decision. Good Luck!!
    Attached Images
    1. Dum spiramus tuebimur -"While we breath, we shall defend"

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier
    That thing looks EXACTLY like my favorite model of GALCO: The "Concealable" model with the added advantage of a body shield.

Hi EX,
    There is one HUGE design difference between the Def-Con and your favorite Galco. (And , BTW, the Def-Con has been available since '89).
    Look at the rear belt slot - the way that it is canted is why the Def-Con really hugs the body compared to traditional "pancake" style holsters.

Gary, is the Def-Con constructed with the so called "flat-back" ????
    OPE Prostaff

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Gary's stuff is far superior to Galco....in alot of ways.

The flat back design is good and bad....Ill explain. For an IWB holster with the pants/belt giving some of the retention of the weapon...its not a bad idea.

With an OWB holster design....it does two negative things. First it puts all of the retention on the front pc of leather instead of two...so its doing all of the work and MAY lose retention quicker. Second with the molding between the 2 pcs...its actually forces the holster into the body more for superior concealment.

The good thing is its slightly more comfy than a "regular" cut & molded pancake....thats the only plus. And the difference in comfort is very slight as its an OWB holster. Most are very comfortable to begin with.

IMO, a regular pancake with the leather molded front and back is a better way to go....for function and comfort over the years.

Shoot well.......God Bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Quote Originally Posted by jwkimber45
    Gary, is the Def-Con constructed with the so called "flat-back" ????

Howdy!
    The technical term for what you are describing is "off-set construction" - a technique in which the molding is all on the front of the holster and the back is more or less flat.
    Eric (Larsen) pretty much nailed the "pros and cons" of it, but I'd like to add that an off-set holster also tends to stay open for one-handed reholstering better than one of standard construction, and for that same reason they tend to draw smoother. However, it has been my experience that they also do not conceal worth a crap.
    What we have done on most of the Def-Cons (They all have just been redesigned or are being redesigned currently) is to go with a modified off-set. There is maybe 10-20% more molding in the front than the back, and this seems to be the best of all worlds - they are very comfortable, offer a really slick draw, and conceal superbly. (And they reholster great too.)
    The only exception are the Glocks - they seem to work better with a standard construction, and while this defies all logic, the proof is in the performance.
    As you can see, we do not just design a holster and then adapt it to various firearms. We actually design each individual holster for the characteristics of each specific firearm. This is one of the reasons why we're kinda slow to deliver sometimes, but the end result is a level of performance that cannot be achieved any other way.

I agree with Gary and Eric on this, and as gary stated most of my designs are slightly off-set to allow one -handed holstering, but the back is not flat and both the front and back are entirely detail molded. I also agree with gary in that the holster has to be desined for the intended firearm, and this does not mean just molded to a specific firearm. The weight and balance characteristics of that pistol have to be taken into account.

BTW, comparing Gary's stuff to Galco is like comparing burled walnut to construction-grade pine.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Thanks for the replys guys. That makes sense. Still pondering....

BTW - I've never been a huge fan of galco. They make ok holsters for the $$ but for a little more money you can get much nicer leather.
    OPE Prostaff

Sponsored Links