High Ride Holsters

This is a discussion on High Ride Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All; I carry a Colt Defender, and am considering an OWB High Ride holster. In part my thinking is that they seem to eliminate ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: High Ride Holsters

High Ride Holsters

Hi All;

I carry a Colt Defender, and am considering an OWB High Ride holster. In part my thinking is that they seem to eliminate the problem of the barrel and bottom of the holster projecting below the belt line for good concealment, and at the same time provide the comfort of an OWB holster. Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations for a high ride that seems to fill these needs?
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

2. Remove Ads

Don Hume J.I.T. slide. Must be my favorite holster, since it's inexpensive, and I have 10 of them. LOL

I carry at different times a Kahr PM9, Glock 19, Ruger LCR, Springfield XD9sc, all in a J.I.T. slide.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

For another economical OWB, the Hume 721 is a decent choice. When I carry my G30 OWB, the 721OT rides high and it keeps the Glock tight to the body. I know there are a lot of more expensive options what would be excellent, but for the price the 721 (and the JIT noted by TKRUF) is a good option.
    Chevyguy85 likes this.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

A couple of things to be aware of when you're considering a high-ride holster, and both deal with your own anatomy. First - depending on where your waist line/belt line are, and the length of your arms, can you achieve a firing grip on the gun and still have enough range of arm motion to make a clean draw? If you've got a high waist and very short or very long arms, a high ride holster may not be for you.

The other thing is the presence/absence of "love handles" and the length of the gun. If you've got a bit of a "'muffin top" and you have a short-barrelled gun, that combination may result in the grip of your gun being pushed outward relative to the muzzle, which definitely works against concealment. A high-ride rig has less of the gun below the belt to help lever the above-belt part of the gun inward.

Then of course there is no standard among holster makers as to what "high ride" is. One maker's high ride may be the other guy's medium or standard ride. Just things to be aware of before you plunk down your money and wait 24 weeks for that marvelous leather creation... our holster drawers are too full already!
    Last edited by gasmitty; May 7th, 2011 at 07:17 PM.
    OD* likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

los
    A good stiff gun belt is the core to achieving optimum comfort and concealment when using a high ride holster. Without a good stiff gun belt, a hi-ride holster will lack in the ability to maintain a tight, close to the body fit, and rig flop will be evident.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Fist has quite a few holsters, but the #12 Basic rides my Glock-36 pretty high and tight against the body.
    Look at the pic of the Glock in the holster and you will see what I have for OWB use... FIST, INC.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

GM
    Are you sure that you really need a high rider to carry a Defender? I should also consider what gasmitty wrote in post #4.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I got a high ride from here.
    It's a first rate product and Jim is excellent to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    A couple of things to be aware of when you're considering a high-ride holster, and both deal with your own anatomy. First - depending on where your waist line/belt line are, and the length of your arms, can you achieve a firing grip on the gun and still have enough range of arm motion to make a clean draw? If you've got a high waist and very short of very long arms, a high ride holster may not be for you.

The other thing is the presence/absence of "love handles" and the length of the gun. If you've got a bit of a "'muffin top" and you have a short-barrelled gun, that combination may result in the grip of your gun being pushed outward relative to the muzzle, which definitely works against concealment. A high-ride rig has less of the gun below the belt to help lever the above-belt part of the gun inward.

The of course there is no standard among holster makers as to what "high ride" is. One maker's high ride may be the other guy's medium or standard ride. Just things to be aware of before you plunk down your money and wait 24 weeks for that marvelous leather creation... our holster drawers are too full already!
    This is right!!!!!. I carry a high rise and love it. Im 6 foot tall 215 pounds. Not a lot of love handles, but some. LOL. Keep what Smitty has said in mind

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    First of all (and no offense intended) the JIT is a cheap holster. It'll work and be OK but that's it and it's not a "high ride" by any stretch. It also leaves a lot of the gun exposed and if you have a pronounced front sight it can snag unlike a full size OWB holster with a proper sight trench. No bashing, just pointing out that they may be good for an absolute minimalist holster at a very low price point but they leave a lot to be desired.

gasmitty pretty much nailed it and the other guys' comment about a good belt is REALLY important. The higher the ride the more the rig wants to flop out and away from the body. How stiff and how well designed the holster is also important and the site for JRs custom holsters seems like a very good desigh. I'm trying a Bonniville from UBG holsters for a Kahr K9. It's high rise and I'll let the forum know how it works after i get it.

The only reason to go hi rise is to keep the holster/muzzle from peaking out under cover. The lower carry OWB will always be more comfortable all other things being the same. I've tried a number of OWB hi rise holsters and haven't found one that works for me, yet but the body shape versus the holster design has a LOT to do with how it'll work so you can only try. I do think it works best the smaller and lighter the gun.

God Bless
    Gideon

I carry mostly in my HR-1. It rides mostly above the belt line and is designed for shorter guns. As pointed out, depending on your body style, this may not be the best mode of carry. I have shorter legs, but a long torso, so it works great for me.
    The HR-1 is designed like a wedge. This accomplishes two things, you get the maximum amount of leather retaining the weapon, and the forward angle of the wedge allows you to clear leather as fast as possible. To keep things rigid on the belt, it uses tunnels instead of slots. I have some pic of it in my gallery.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell
    http://www.jrcholsters.com

Quote Originally Posted by FLSlim View Post
    For another economical OWB, the Hume 721 is a decent choice. When I carry my G30 OWB, the 721OT rides high and it keeps the Glock tight to the body. I know there are a lot of more expensive options what would be excellent, but for the price the 721 (and the JIT noted by TKRUF) is a good option.
    This is a good choice. I have one and love it. I carry my CZ p01 in it which has a 4" barrel. It holds it high. My only complaint is driving, it pokes my ribs. But upright, walking, sitting, it is great. Also, with a good belt (which is a must with this style) you can get away with a large t-shirt or button up outer shirt as concealment.
    Attached Images

Thanks guys for all the great advice.
    --Wyatt Earp

-- Wyatt Earp

I actually have one of my High Slide OWB RH in Bk 15 deg cant 1.5" belt in stock for a 3" 1911. High ride holsters will work but do require a good belt. Here is a link to my page with the High Slide.

Side Guard Holsters - OWB Holsters - High Slide

Pic is for a G26. This customer actually came back for a belt afterward.

MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Very nice. How securely does this holster hold the gun?
    --Wyatt Earp

-- Wyatt Earp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links