Ladies Shoulder Holster Suggestions

This is a discussion on Ladies Shoulder Holster Suggestions within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I typically carry IWB with a great holster made by Little Bear, but I need a shoulder rig for driving. I'm finally getting married after ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By novalty

Thread: Ladies Shoulder Holster Suggestions

I typically carry IWB with a great holster made by Little Bear, but I need a shoulder rig for driving.

I'm finally getting married after a loooong engagement divided by 1000 miles...my husband-to-be is moving about two hours away from where I currently attend school. Since he's the one doing med school rotations, it falls on me (grad school with a lower workload) to be the one to drive to see him on the weekends. So I will be doing a once a week two-hour commute each way.

I've read that a shoulder rig is a good choice; I'd rather have it on my body than have to fumble with a console, and since I wear cardigans and blazers often, it would conceal well. I wondered if anyone had any suggestions for a shoulder rig that works well with the female body. I feel it pertinent to note that I am decidedly not top-heavy, if that helps with recommendations. I thought that maybe gender shouldn't matter here because of the way the rig fits generally, but I thought I'd ask since I have no experience with anything but IWB carrying.

I am also open to any suggestions regarding some alternative method for extended driving that I haven't considered!

Thanks, all.

In my experience shoulder holsters can cause some problems for women, primarily due to the harness rubbing or applying pressure to brassiere straps. This might be alleviated by selecting a shoulder holster featuring a harness made of softer materials, such as suede leather, and a relatively lightweight handgun would probably be a better choice than the heavier pieces.

I find that a horizontal shoulder holster is a very good choice when driving. Good accessibility, less interference by seat belts and cover garments. I use one to carry my Kahr P40 (16.1 oz. empty weight) when driving long distances.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

Administrator
    The Alessi Bodyguard is fantastic. No retention strap to fuss with. Just grip the firearm & pull & you're good to go.

Alessi Gun Holsters CLICK HERE

Available for many semi-autos & revolvers. Yes, they are perfectly safe.
    The firearm cannot physically be inserted into the holster far enough for the "pull through snap" to contact the firearm trigger.
    It's just a great, classic, time proved shoulder rig design.

Quote Originally Posted by loboleather View Post
    In my experience shoulder holsters can cause some problems for women, primarily due to the harness rubbing or applying pressure to brassiere straps. This might be alleviated by selecting a shoulder holster featuring a harness made of softer materials, such as suede leather, and a relatively lightweight handgun would probably be a better choice than the heavier pieces.

I find that a horizontal shoulder holster is a very good choice when driving. Good accessibility, less interference by seat belts and cover garments. I use one to carry my Kahr P40 (16.1 oz. empty weight) when driving long distances.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
    Thank you! I didn't even consider the issue that you raised - good point! I was planning on taking a Bersa .380; it is my carry weapon of choice at the moment and the only other option I have is a Beretta 92 that I do not carry because it just wouldn't conceal very well at all. I think the Bersa will be light enough that I won't be too uncomfortable. Thanks also for confirmation that a shoulder rig is good for driving.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The Alessi Bodyguard is fantastic. No retention strap to fuss with. Just grip the firearm & pull & you're good to go.

Alessi Gun Holsters CLICK HERE

Available for many semi-autos & revolvers. Yes, they are perfectly safe.
    The firearm cannot physically be inserted into the holster far enough for the "pull through snap" to contact the firearm trigger.
    It's just a great, classic, time proved shoulder rig design.
    I did look at these because the rig has been praised in quite a few reviews I've read...glad to hear it's easy to deal with.

You might check with this member http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...limatunes.html. I guess I'd try a private message in case she misses this thread...or click on the link on her profile to what I believe is her and her husbands business...she seems very knowledgeable, and while I have never seen her with a shoulder rig, she may have some good input for you...

Quote Originally Posted by kaboomkaboom View Post
    You might check with this member http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...limatunes.html. I guess I'd try a private message in case she misses this thread...or click on the link on her profile to what I believe is her and her husbands business...she seems very knowledgeable, and while I have never seen her with a shoulder rig, she may have some good input for you...
    Thanks for the rec!

Another shoulder holster suggestion to look into is Andrews Leather's Monarch.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Ivy have worked with women for several years in the carry mode, shoulder holsters are the hardest to fit other than hip holsters, for women not only do they have to worry about the straps and such but bust size is a true hindance, much in the same way a barrel chest in a man is, Stay with a high quality rig and talk with the makers, I swear by Miitch Rosen and Krammer, Rusty Sherrick ect, they are costly but worth it

Just for info most of the "big" women I have helpped over the years who went with the shoulder rig benifited greatly from the sport bra concept

Quote Originally Posted by novalty View Post
    Another shoulder holster suggestion to look into is Andrews Leather's Monarch.
    I like very much, but probably out of budget for this grad student - I think my max would be $200. I have heard nothing but great things, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave James View Post
    Ivy have worked with women for several years in the carry mode, shoulder holsters are the hardest to fit other than hip holsters, for women not only do they have to worry about the straps and such but bust size is a true hindance, much in the same way a barrel chest in a man is, Stay with a high quality rig and talk with the makers, I swear by Miitch Rosen and Krammer, Rusty Sherrick ect, they are costly but worth it

Just for info most of the "big" women I have helpped over the years who went with the shoulder rig benifited greatly from the sport bra concept
    Hmm. Thank you. I am not big at all (tall-ish, but not big - in any of the definitions of that word as it applies to this discussion!), so that is one less thing to worry about. I am thinking I will definitely have to chat with a maker, though, rather than buy "off-the-rack," because of just generally being smaller all over (shoulder width, height, etc.) than a man. There should be a discount for having to use less material! (I kid.) Thank you for the maker recs. :)

Hiya!! I can give you a site that looks like it'll be really comfy!! Not sure on the price though.. but i think i may go for it!!

J.R. Roscoe Handmade Leather Shoulder Holsters

Well, congratulations and good luck on the hunt!! Although you may have already have found a good one. :P

You also might try wearing a spandex sports bra when wearing the shoulder holster for less pressure points over traditional bra straps and clips.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Sponsored Links